will there be a cure in the next decade?

hairfin

Established Member
Reaction score
im just wondering with all these advances in science, the progress in the hairloss field has been scandalously slow.
Does anyone seriously think in 10 years there'll be some simple treatment to grow back hair on the scalp?

we live in hope, but from whats happened so far i doubt it

jeffsss

Reaction score
I've wondered this question before.

I think that if someoen does invent a cure, it will take another several years after it's invented to be FDA approved.

even after all that, it's going to be EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

key words.. 'if"

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
Intercytex has hair multiplication on the way for 2009, providing it passes all the trials. They'll be starting phase II shortly.

The Gardener

Reaction score
hairfin said:

No... probably just better finasteride-like treatments, and better minoxidil-like treatments. Not bad, but not a 'cure' either.

I'm not into the surgery option, personally, but I suppose those techniques will improve as well. You can make things better, but it is hard to fight mother nature. I suppose the only true cure would be genetic engineering?...

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
You can make things better, but it is hard to fight mother nature.

We are mother nature, it is us !

We have acheived Xenotransplantation, unravelled and mapped the genome, split the atom and cured numerous once fatal diseases.

I am too am not into a 'surgey option', but if it were to reach a point where a couple of hours in a surgeons chair under local anesthetic having cloned follicles injected into your scalp was viable I am sure a lot more people would consider this an option. People can have corrective lazer surgery on their eyes done in their lunch break, this recent advance means they can abandone a life of glass wearing, a couple of decades ago the very idea would be laughed at.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be THAT expensive. I think it won't be more than 10 or 15K. It can't be much more than that, otherwise nobody will be able to afford it.

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
elguapo said:
I don't think it will be THAT expensive. I think it won't be more than 10 or 15K. It can't be much more than that, otherwise nobody will be able to afford it.

ofcourse alot more, whats 15k ?

i think it would be 50k instead.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I can't argue what the price will be. I can only state what I think is a logical price. Right now doctors are performing hair transplants for around $10K. If they are able to do pretty much the same thing, but with unlimited hairs, I don't see why it would cost THAT much more. Who can afford $50K? Unless they things the Planned Parenthood way and charge people on a sliding scale, they would be missing out on so much money if the cost were that ridiculously high, because there are millions of men who would get it done, if technology were to the point where they could cover their entire head, but just could not afford it at that price.

One thing is certain: They have to be damn careful they test the technology INCREDIBLY well. Because lets say thousands get the procedure done when it first comes out, only to find that for some reason the hairs only last 5 years or so, and then they, too, are lost due to male pattern baldness. There would be mob of pissed off bald people, broke as HELL for dishing out all the frickin money, and the doctors won't want to give that money back.

We better get some lawyers to start thinking about this sh*t, so that we are protected when the time comes.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how much do you think you pay on Propecia for 5 years every month?
When you think about it that way, this is basically doing the same thing for probably less, and you dont have to take a pill and mess with your hormones every single day. and thats assuming it would fall out after 5 years.

hardcastle

Reaction score
I think it depends how you define a cure. I suspect genetic engineering techniques for keeping people from going bald in the first place are a ways off, but I'm keeping my hopes about hair multiplication.

It's what keeps me from getting too depressed about this hair business, and you never know...they might really come up with something.

The Gardener said:
hairfin said:

No... probably just better finasteride-like treatments, and better minoxidil-like treatments. Not bad, but not a 'cure' either.

I'm not into the surgery option, personally, but I suppose those techniques will improve as well. You can make things better, but it is hard to fight mother nature. I suppose the only true cure would be genetic engineering?...