will the initial side effects of Finasteride go away?

nagual

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.
I have been on Finasteride 1mg for 11 days now, and since the second day I have severe erectile dysfunction. My thing is completely dead I tell ya.

Important thing is that it's not nocebo since when I started I had no idea Finasteride could have side effects. only after days of erectile dysfunction I started researching and realized ED is a possible side effect of finasteride.

my question is that is it likely for the side effects to go away after a while or will it stay? should I lower the dosage or switch to topical Finasteride? and if so, wouldn't it decrease the efficacy of the drug?

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you truely did not know about the erectile dysfunction prior to taking finasteride... it sounds like its not for you.

To answer your question, it could go away or it could not. Are you really willing to stay on it though? I wouldn’t.

Ive been on finasteride for 19 months. Haven’t noticed any significant sides besides not being able to ejaculate more than twice a day.

nagual

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you truely did not know about the erectile dysfunction prior to taking finasteride... it sounds like its not for you.

To answer your question, it could go away or it could not. Are you really willing to stay on it though? I wouldn’t.

Ive been on finasteride for 19 months. Haven’t noticed any significant sides besides not being able to ejaculate more than twice a day.
Tnx for the response. No, I didnt know it has side effects. I got it without a prescription anyways..here in Iran pharmacies give it to you without a prescription.. I only started researching it after I realized I have ED.
Thing is I donno which option is better. lowering the dosage, taking it every other day or switching to topical. which option is most efficacious?
(They don't sell topical finasteride here. Due to Trump's sanctions on Iran no Western medicine gets imported into my country. So I would have to mix it with Minoxidil myself)

OsamaBeenLagging

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tnx for the response. No, I didnt know it has side effects. I got it without a prescription anyways..here in Iran pharmacies give it to you without a prescription.. I only started researching it after I realized I have ED.
Thing is I donno which option is better. lowering the dosage, taking it every other day or switching to topical. which option is most efficacious?
(They don't sell topical finasteride here. Due to Trump's sanctions on Iran no Western medicine gets imported into my country. So I would have to mix it with Minoxidil myself)
Im in the same boat as you. What is ur update?

heyhey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.
I have been on Finasteride 1mg for 11 days now, and since the second day I have severe erectile dysfunction. My thing is completely dead I tell ya.

Important thing is that it's not nocebo since when I started I had no idea Finasteride could have side effects. only after days of erectile dysfunction I started researching and realized ED is a possible side effect of finasteride.

my question is that is it likely for the side effects to go away after a while or will it stay? should I lower the dosage or switch to topical Finasteride? and if so, wouldn't it decrease the efficacy of the drug?
This is practically impossible, Finasteride is a very weak anti androgen, for it to completely eradicate your ability to have erection on the second day is not possible.

OsamaBeenLagging

My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched to topical. 0.15% concentration had the same side effects but 0.1% was good. I have no side effects any more and got my morning wood back.
I cant find any topical solution of finasteride in my country. Do u think i have another option?

heyhey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't get how it's imaginary? finasteride works very quickly nd supresses DHT?
It only suppresses around half of your DHT and DHT is not your main sex hormone at all (even tho DHT is the most potent androgen). Your testosterone even slightly increases with finasteride, which is a way more important sex hormone for a adult male.

There have been many follow up blind studies on finasteride side effects which shows that when you account in nocebo and placebo effects, the side effects are in the 1-2% range. Even dutasteride which eradicates more like 90% of your DHT have a similar side effect profile.
And these 1-2% are for sure not people whose dick just completely died and they can never get an erection, its rather people who have a harder time keeping the erection or cant get a full erection as easy. The people who get sexual side effects i think does not get it from the decreased dht but rather the slightly increased estrogen (Finasteride gives a small estrogen increase). Some males have too high estrogen before starting finasteride and others have too low (which explains why some guys here say they experienced better erections after starting finasteride). Estrogen in males is a hormone that must not be too low or too high. Personally my sex drive increased by taking finasteride a little bit.