Will Steroid Induced Hair Loss Reverse After Discontinuation?

Woodyy

Reaction score
Hair shedding much less than at its worst, not slowed down notably since last update though.

I have decided that I'm going to start using minoxidil, did my first application today, I only have thinning at one temple at the moment so I'm starting off by applying it there twice a day, I only need to use 1ml I day now so I 3 month supply should last twice as long.

Im pretty sure my propecia arrived this morning as well, by that I mean I missed the god damn post and now I have to go to the Royal Mail redistribution place to go pick it up.

Im not planning on using it yet anyway, going to see how this minoxidil works out.

Woodyy

Reaction score
Just stated finasteride as well, I thought I might as well give it a shot, I mean if this does turn out to be male pattern baldness, which I'm still unsure of, at least I've caught it within a few months and thrown the kitchen sink at it (minoxidil and propecia, thinking of getting some nizoral as well) and so I think it gives me the best chance to stop it completely and get some regrowth going.

But if it doesn't turn out to be male pattern baldness and it's just Telogen Effluvium then what I'm doing isn't exactly going to do my hair any harm, I heard minoxidil is still useful for Telogen Effluvium anyway as it just stimulates hair growth and doesn't do anything to DHT.

Hoping I don't get any sides from finasteride, I'm not the kind of person who normally gets sides from anything, as you see I've done steroids and never got any sides before, but I know this is completely different.

Sometimes I think it's all in the head anyway, if you go into something expecting sides you'll probably get sides.. I don't expect anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, something I'd like to ask, I'm still at the very end of PCT from my steroid cycle as so I'm still taking clomid (only for 3 more days), will clomid and finasteride negatively impact on each other?

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
you really should of waited until you finished your pct imo to see if it got any worse. you said that your hair was returning to normal while on pct which means your natural test levels were starting to kick in again and your hair is is obviously not affected to that atm. you have no idea of knowing now if it was the test or not. if you come off min you will shed so you will panic even more and think its defo male pattern baldness. I guess just wait now and see if your hair density changes much at all now.

Woodyy

Reaction score
you really should of waited until you finished your pct imo to see if it got any worse. you said that your hair was returning to normal while on pct which means your natural test levels were starting to kick in again and your hair is is obviously not affected to that atm. you have no idea of knowing now if it was the test or not. if you come off min you will shed so you will panic even more and think its defo male pattern baldness. I guess just wait now and see if your hair density changes much at all now.

I stopped taking minoxidil after a few days anyway, I've done a lot of reading on it over the last few days and I don't really feel comfortable using something that no one really knows how it works. There's one too many stories of people saying minoxidil destroyed their hair even after years of use, so it cant really be out down to the shedding phase.

Im just gonna stick with finasteride and get on some nizoral soon, taking a tablet every day doesn't phase me.

Woodyy

Reaction score
Nearly a week into propecia, only taking 1.25mg EOD, no sides as of yet, ordered some nizoral shampoo too. Turned into a bit of an effort to resolve this whole thing lol, not doing steroids with a medium/high androgenic ratio again, not worth the trouble it's caused my hair lol.

Oh well, hairline still isn't receeding nor are the temples getting any thinner, I can feel hairs coming back at the temples too when I run my hands through my hair. Still shedding a bit, nowhere near as bad as at it's worse though. It's a bit annoying thinking all of these hairs that come out will take months to get back to that length again, but what can you do I guess?

I've realised now that I'm done with PCT and not taking anymore clomid I'm a lot more relaxed about this whole thing, not really too bothered now, just realising it's a time thing that wont fix itself overnight, clomid really is depression in a pill lol.

Anyways, I'm not gonna update as often now as I don't think anything will change that drastically, I'll come back at the end of the month and see where I'm at.

meetjoeblack

Established Member
Reaction score
I am no scientist but, my suspicion is that steroids and medications like accutane or anything that effect your hormones activate male pattern baldness assuming a person has the gene. Look at Dwayne Johnson. He pulls it off nicely. You took steroids. They had side effects as did accutane for me. Likely, you got perfect beautiful smooth skin. I am jealous. I don't have that. I never will. Enjoy your hair, skin, youth but, know those things won't last. Nothing does and these treatments aren't without consequences.

A

andrew lincoln

I didn't read through all of the posts but to answer your thread steroid induced hair loss, should subside once the androgen source IE: steroids, are removed from the equation.

Woodyy

Reaction score
Okay, after a lot of research I'm almost sure that my hairloss is down to telogen effluvium now. I mean does typical male pattern baldness present itself in the form of massive shedding that just starts without warning? Bear in mind none of these hairs I'm losing seem to be miniaturised, none of them seem to be notably thinner than my healthy hairs and most are the same length. Even the shorter in length ones are of the same thickness. I even notice some of my eyebrow hairs and eyelashes falling out, this is a daily thing. The only thing that makes me slightly worried is that the hair loss seems to be mostly on the top of the head, I still lose a lot from the side of my head as well though, in fact the area in which my hair is thinnest at the moment is at one of the sides. After doing some reading I came across this:

"2) Sudden hair loss during a cycle is most likely NOT caused by AA. Why? Because AA is a slow process of hair miniaturization which takes place over a number of anagen/telogen cycles (see my write-up on the Articles Forum). These cycles go for years.
No matter how many times we say this, people get the idea that AA can happen "overnight". It doesn't.

3) Sudden hair loss during a cycle may be due to telogen effluvium (Telogen Effluvium). This occurs as a response to stress, fever, drug reaction, pregnancy, severe illness, dieting, etc. (see a pattern emerging here?)
If this is the case, many times hair lost to telogen effluvium will regrow as the anagen cycle reccurs."

What do you think on the above? I guess it does make sense, massive hormonal changes do cause Telogen Effluvium, you just have to look to childbirth hairloss as evidence for that.

Don't get me wrong, I do think I'm slightly suspect to male pattern baldness, one of my temples did slightly recede whilst on cycle but hasn't moved back since.

Anyways, I'm still going to stay on propecia and I have some nizoral on the way, I just don't know what these are going to do if this is Telogen Effluvium, I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been told that propecia can reduce body hair and facial hair. In my case, like you, my eyelashes and eyebrow hairs are falling out ..whenever I rub my eyes, I see three to four eyelashes falling...but weird thing is that they are thinner but longer :$

Woodyy

Reaction score
Just started nizoral 2% today, I just shampoo my hair and leave it in for about 3/4 mins, is that right? I've also noticed that if I pat my hair dry with a towel after showering, leave it to air dry for a few minutes and then comb my hair I lose barely anything, like 3/4 as opposed to like 30/40 lol, no idea how that works, I know hair is meant to be delicate when wet but I didn't know it was that bad.

So my regimen for the foreseeable is 1/4 proscar EOD and nizoral 2% Every 3 days.

I don't even know if anti-androgens are necessary now that I think what I'm going through is Telogen Effluvium, but I know I'm at least partially suspect to male pattern baldness anyway as one of my temples has slightly receded so I may as well stay on these and hopefully keep my hairline the same as it is now for a long time.

Woodyy

Reaction score
Had a haircut yesterday, got it cut shorter than I have in a long time, it looks alright but my hair is so thin now, especially my fringe. I can feel a lot of spiky regrowth on my scalp now though, the hairs are only under half an inch at the moment though so they're still a good month or so off from making a cosmetic difference.

I was looking through old photos a few days back and saw a close-up of myself from when I was 15, I used to spike my hair up back then so I could clearly see my hairline, from looking at this small birthmark thing I have at one temple (the one I thought was receding) I can see my hairline has always been the same, I think I only just noticed it when I started to inspect it more thoroughly when the shedding started. I've basically all but ruled out male pattern baldness now, everything does seem to point towards Telogen Effluvium.

Shedding has slowed down quite a bit since the start although I think it's still quite a bit above normal and what would be maintainable, I guess my last injection of testosterone was on February 8th and so I could probably expect the last telogen hairs caused by steroids to be shed 3 months on from then, at least I'm guessing that's how it works with Telogen Effluvium caused by hormonal changes?

It does put me in a dilemma though, I could keep up with the finasteride and risk the side effects (although I'm 1 month in so far and no sides effects yet) or I could drop the finasteride and then if this did turn out to be male pattern baldness I'd be pretty stuffed. Also, I've read propecia could cause Telogen Effluvium as well, that would be an absolute disaster if in 3 months time from starting propecia my hair started shedding again, I don't have as much hair to lose as I did the first time around lol.

I think I might as well stick with it, finasteride doesn't really cost that much for me at the dosage I'm taking it at (1.25mg EoD) and the majority of people say they don't shed with it compared to minoxidil which I'm steering clear of at the moment.

Woodyy

Reaction score
Hair has basically stopped falling out completely now, in my normal morning routine where I comb my hair before the shower, shampoo my hair, let it dry and then comb it again I can't say I noticed more than 2 hairs which is how it used to be, maybe even less.

I'm taking biotin + MSM now, I know this is no good for male pattern baldness sufferers but I'm just using it to speed up regrowth. I don't even know how much I've spent on hair products in the last few months, definitely over £100 easily, although now I'm getting more and more confident that in a few months time this whole ordeal will be nothing but a painful memory lol.

Woodyy

Reaction score
Seeing as I hated the fact when I researched threads like these barely anyone came back months later and gave an update I'll give a short update:

- Shedding non-existent these days, I can literally run a comb backwards through my hair over and over again and lose like 2 vs. the 40+ I was losing back when I made this thread.

- Hairline hasn't moved since I made this thread, the one temple that receded has stayed the same, I know this for a fact because I have a freckle I can use for reference and my hairline has been at that point for ages.

- All my hair has thickened up, my temples are still thinner than the rest which is slightly annoying but they've improved or at the very least definitely not got worse.

- All I use these days is Cipla Finpecia, I've used minoxidil, nizoral and spironolactone cream in the past but the latter 2 don't seem to do much and in all honestly I can't handle the initial minoxidil shed to see if it works in the long run.

- Haven't visited sites like this in months, unless you are using them as a resource for info then all it does is make you obsessive, I think of hairloss about 5% as much as I used to.

Unless my hair suddenly all falls out I don't expect to be back, I just thought I'd update for those researching Telogen Effluvium or rapid onset male pattern baldness.

Stay strong fellas

Leroynumber3

Reaction score
Great post

Same issue I am working through. Trt hair drop from way too much test for two months, Doctor screw up

drzkid

Reaction score
My story is similar. I'm 3 weeks into a cycle and have noticed a lot of shedding over the last 1-1.5 weeks. The thing is I'm not sure what to do:

1) I could go on minoxidil/Propecia right now -- if steroids only speed up hair loss as I've been told, I could avoid getting too thin by starting ASAP

2) I could wait 2 weeks until the testosterone leaves my body to see if it slows down or reverses like OP

Any advice guys? I am also worried about the initial shed, looks like the next few weeks are gonna be stressful either way :(

guccimane

Reaction score
my story

well my story is similar. I started a cycle of hgh, test e, primo e, and anavar (first cycle ever) and into the 2nd week i noticed a small patch in a very important part of my hair. I'm 20 and i had very thick very long hair that i was obsessed with.. or everyone for that matter, but anyway, i was like ??? and so i immediately tapered off my cycle, i got regenpure, nioxin, minoxodil, and ru58841 and i just started using everything. noticing more and more hairloss in the process. the thing about my hair loss was that it seemed weird. my tape line was not affected, my temples were not affected, just random parts of the top of my head on the sides. so after reading this maybe i should stop using everything? because when id go in the shower id probably lose like 10 hairs and then drying my hair and styling it id lose about 7 or 8... And during my pct while i was using jsut the minoxidil and the regenpure everyday and nioxin everyday and occasionally coconut or olive oil while id go to sleep along with biotin, hair skin and nails, vitamin d, green tea 3 times a day, and soy isoflavones i still notice a bit of shedding, its been 6 weeks since my cycle and now sheddings really small like now i prob lose like 3 in the shower, 5 when i style what i have (which looks like chit now) what do you think i should do? 0.o like im seeing some more hair on my tape line grow back little by little because i lost some hair on my fore head but my hair line didnt recede. what do you think?

Junior133

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everybody i always had very thick hair and fun a i took windy before like 3 cycle in one year it never effected my hair but just this year i took deca and winstrol right after and my hair started thinning and when i run my hands thru my hair i get bout 9 hairs everyday is been about a month i stop using steriods and i want to know if my hair is going to get back to normal by it's self of should i take action... My dad is bald but my grandparents have a full head of hair even at the age if 60 so i do not know if I got my grandparents genes or dads ? Im currently using minoxidil but on my bear not my head would that be the reason for shedding too ???? Please somebody help ??

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
take estrogens instead of testo

hair and no muscles > cueball and muscles as compensation

shubham dua

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently did a 10 week cycle of testosterone decanoate at 500mg p/w, towards the mid-way point of the cycle I noticed one of my temples was receding/thinning and then towards the end of the cycle the other one started receding/thinning as well. It's been 3 weeks since my last injection and I'm still shedding a decent amount.

After doing some reading on propecia/proscar people were claiming it reduces DHT levels by about 70%?

Surely if this is the case, once my testosterone/DHT levels revert back to normal (which would be a drop of over 70%) hairloss should stop as well, considering I had no previous hairloss whatsoever before steroids.

Could I hope for the hairloss to stop and even for regrowth or should I take some action now? I've read quite a few posts online about regrowth after steroids but then a lot of contradictory posts as well.

Cheers :turned:
bro i want your help about my hairloss please contact me on facebook .. my name is shubham dua.. or give me your account name .. please!