Will Rogaine (Minoxidil) Alone Work on Temple Hair Loss?

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So, I've been facing receding temples for some years now (I'm 36).

I started minoxidil on the temples about 4 months ago. (the only place I seem to have noticeable hair loss - so far)

What happened is that the hair on my left temple has thinned substantially during these 4 months.
I know about the 'initial shedding' effect.
But today it hit me that I had read that minoxidil only had been proven to work on the crown area. (something that I blissfully ignored when I started on minoxidil)

My question:
Has anyone here experienced regrowth (or at least a halt in recession) on the temples from Minoxidil alone?

Or am I just wasting my time, money (and possibly my hair) by applying minoxidil to the temples?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have for me. :wave:

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It do work there. They did just not test it there in the trials so they are legally obligatet to only mention the place they tested it

- - - Updated - - -

It do work there. They did just not test it there in the trials so they are legally obligatet to only mention the place they tested it

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks.
I shall keep up the minoxidil, then.

(and hope the thinning is just initial shedding)

flugero15

Reaction score
It seems to have mixed results. I tend to think that if it works for someone on the crown then why would it not work on the temple area? It can't really hurt to try, its not like minoxidil is expensive. I am 31 and have a receding hairline on the temples as well and am currently trying minoxidil on the temples.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most definitely, as long as there is hair to salvage, highly unlikely if your temples are completely bald.

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to chime in on how long the 'initial shed' is supposed to last?

I just realised I've been on minoxidil for 5 months - not 4.
The thinning is as bad as it ever has been. And it all started when I began minoxidil.

How long should I continue, in order to know if this is the initial shed. Or if this is my hair not reacting well to minoxidil (and thus I should quit it ASAP)

Thanks for any input.