Will Propecia continue to work after 5+ years?

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep reading rumours and off-hand comments that the effectiveness of Propecia begins declining after 5 years or so.

Any proof of this? Or is it just rumour?

Do they mean it's a gradual change from regrowth to a slow loss over the next decade or two? Or is everything gained over 5 years lost again by year 6?

After 5 years, I stopped taking it (babymaking reasons). But it was still working fine for me at the time.

After 9 months off it, and losing much of what I had gained, I'm back on it again... but now I'm afraid it won't work as well as it once did for me. Or perhaps that coincidental 9-month "off time" reset my clock, lol?

Britannia

Reaction score
There is no evidence to suggest there is a reduction in the effectiveness of Propecia after 5 years treatment, unlike Minoxidil which is known to have progressively less of an effect on male pattern baldness over time.

camobear777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am now going into my second year of treatment on Propecia. After the first year I have been slowly thinning on top more and hair line and temple areas. I can attribute the hair I have now because of my 13 month treatment, but was wondering if year two should be better? Guessing I will continue to lose more as it seems to be making my male pattern baldness slower.

Cheers