Will people notice you've had a transplant

massa

Banned
Reaction score
How long does it take for transplanted grafts to heal and become presentable in public? If you get a transplant at the front but don't shave your head or change your hairstyle and hide away for say a week will anyone notice you've had work done? Or do you have to take extended time off work and wear a hat for months on end?

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
After 10 days it is barely noticeable you had something done, if you have FUE.

shookwun

Reaction score
it will take months for the skin to heal, and go back to it's native pigmentation. it will be red for awhile.

4-6 months if you're Caucasian and pale as a ghost.

Even worse if surgeon does a shave procedure before implementing rather then working through existing hair. More accurate implants to shave prior

Reaction score
I had an FUT procedure on December 2nd. My recipient area is very, very slightly pink but its hard to notice...expect it to be pretty much normal in the next week or two. The scar from my donor area is still quite visible but I expect in the next 2 - 3 weeks for it to heal nicely and also be better covered by my hair. It's gotten a lot less noticeable since I had stitches removed at 2 weeks out.

However, I'm a very good healer in general, when it comes to surgery / procedures. Everyone is different and I've seen people's recipient areas take much longer to heal completely.

shookwun

Reaction score
lol the scar in your donor will take a few months to not be pink anymore. not to mention you possibly have shock loss around the donor area, and ears.

Lollerme

Banned
Reaction score
Right, keep telling yourself that Lollerme.

No one, I repeat no one has ever been able to tell I've had a 2000 grafts FUE hair transplant unless I tell them. And even then, they think I'm lying.

My current girlfriend can't stop running her fingers through my hair (it's still cut short), she loves my shaved head, and she's never mentioned hair loss or a hair transplant.

She just doesn't know. All the people I've met recently through my job or social gatherings, they just don't know. How could they really? De Reys has done a wonderful job on me.

So if you pick a top surgeon for a FUE, no, no one will notice anything. Unless you go out of your house with the scabs still on your head like I did :p.

They might talk behind your back, people don't want to be rude :p

Reaction score
lol the scar in your donor will take a few months to not be pink anymore. not to mention you possibly have shock loss around the donor area, and ears.

I'm expecting it to be pretty much invisible by 6 weeks out. I'll report back with that. I think it depends on the quality of the surgeon you choose. Mine was one of the best in North America, and every day it becomes less visible. It's not pink at all.

Edit: My surgeon was Dr. Rahal, by the way. Ottawa-based (I'm from Toronto) and one of the best in the biz, supposedly.

shookwun

Reaction score
I'm expecting it to be pretty much invisible by 6 weeks out. I'll report back with that. I think it depends on the quality of the surgeon you choose. Mine was one of the best in North America, and every day it becomes less visible. It's not pink at all.

Edit: My surgeon was Dr. Rahal, by the way. Ottawa-based (I'm from Toronto) and one of the best in the biz, supposedly.

he was my surgeon also.

it'll take months before the scar isn;t pink anymore, but by a month or two in you wont notice because your hair will be covering it for the most part. Besides pigmentation, the scar will feel raised for some time, but over time it will go down and be flat.

r u Caucasian?

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes people will notice, especially with fue. The results look very unnatural. The current practice seems to be to have the hair grow long to try to cover bald areas of the scalp so all you see is long strands with lots of bare scalp between them.

In a person with thinning hair, they have hairs of various sizes and thickness. Before going bald they have lots of hair but it is short and thin which gives the thinning look. With fue you have thick hairs but never enough to cover the bald scalp so you see all kinds of bare scalp showing through.

I have seen pictures and pictures from the top hair transplant surgeons doing fue and they all look bad and unnatural.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that if you go to a great surgeon that does exceptionally natural work you won't have to worry about people noticing something bad. Now I understand that you are worried they will wonder where the "extra" hair came from.

I have not seen one fue that looks natural. there is always a lot of bare scalp showing through.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you ain't too far gone, have good donor quality and opt for high density with a good doctor it can be very natural and unnoticeable. Really depends on the individual mostly and using a skilled surgeon. Healing with FUE furthermore is pretty rapid.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
All of this is nonsense. Absolutely no one has been able to tell I had a FUE done, at any stage after the procedure.

Not only that, but even if I tell people I had surgery done, they will sometimes get mad thinking I'm making fun of them.

How can you be so dishonest?

You were bald before the hair transplant and buzz your hair down. Of course no one noticed you had anything done because you still look bald. Grow your hair long after the transplant and you will see all the places with scalp showing through.

- - - Updated - - -

I won't be able to post them today since the weather was so bad in Belgium it almost felt it was night during the day.

Hopefully it's brighter tomorrow and I can post pictures with the same lightning, position and with the hair at the same length as usual.

Hair at same length as usual = buzzed.

Stephen788

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a transplant a week ago today, my scabs are all gone now. Apart from a tiny bit of redness its unnoticable.