Will Nioxin help my receeding hairline and thinning hair?

melo10

Reaction score
Hi Im 20 years old and have a receeding hairline and thinning hair upfront. I used propecia for 9 months but had side effects. I was wondering if nioxin might be able to help me maintain hair and thicken it up? maybe even drop my hairline a bit? Any experience? What can i expect? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you kindly.

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on it...I've never heard of anyone benefiting from that stuff, its a waste of money IMO. Before I knew anything about hairloss i tried it for 6 months or so, didnt do anything, I just continued to thin...a lot. Then I got on the big 3 and im noticing some pretty good improvements, if i would have started the big 3 when i started the nioxin, I probablt would have gotten the majority of my hair back if not all. In case you didn't know, the big 3 is minoxidil rogaine, (minoxidil) propecia (finasteride) and nizoral (ketoconazole). The finasteride is an antiandrogen, which slows down the hairloss process, the minoxidil will help grow new hair, and the ketoconazole is supposed to increase hair shaft diameter and help with inflammation. That is your best bet. If you are concerned about the finasteride, which kinda messes with your hormones, then maybe you can try spironolactone, which is a topical antiandrogen, but it isn's as effective as finasteride. Hope that helps.

Gus11445

Reaction score
Hey. Im 19. This last summer i finally decided i needed to do something about my hair cuz it was obviously thinning and all. My hair has receded some on the temples and thinned the hair out in the front hair line. So this summer i bought Nioxin. I bought some really really big bottles of the stuff so im still on it even now.. To answer your question about what i'll do to your hair. First off it will make your hair a lot more healthy. It will slow down hairloss also. In the last 6 months i havent lost any hair but i also havent grown any back from that stuff. Im going to keep using it cuz it does help some. Im currently on the big 3 and have been for about a month. Within that month i have seen some peach fuzz that is actually starting to grow long but this would have to be the results of the big 3. I do recommend nioxin tho. But if your short on cash its not an absolute must. Hope things go well for you.

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
The nioxin is actually helping for you Gus? Cool, I haven't read any positive testimonials about it yet, glad its workin for ya, i wish you the best on your progress, keep us updated.

Gus11445

Reaction score
Not gunna say its the key thing to helping my hair loss but it has def. helped. Plus its really a good shampoo and conditioner. Has a cooling feeling when you use it haha

robmartin

Reaction score
That's only because there's menthol in it.

Gus11445 said:
Not gunna say its the key thing to helping my hair loss but it has def. helped. Plus its really a good shampoo and conditioner. Has a cooling feeling when you use it haha