Will new hair grow on irritated/itchy inflamed skin?

misterium

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having a minoxidil itch problem mostly on the crown of my scalp. I think it's the PPG that is causing it, because I believe the male pattern baldness itch was gone and then I started using minoxidil and the itch came back.

Anyway, I was wondering if the parts of my scalp which are inflamed/irritated and the most itchy, will still grow new hair with the use of minoxidil.

I don't scratch my scalp so hard that it bleeds or scabs or anything obsessive like that, but I do tend to use my fine tooth comb and go over and over the scalp with it, as to scratch the itch.. it feels reaaaaally good, but I don't know if I'm actually DAMAGING the tissue or not. Should I be concerned about this?

Of course I've been trying to address the reasons for my itchy scalp. I've pinned it down to PPG, but I can't be 100% sure. I've been using Head & Shoulders 2-in-1 frequently, and also Nizoral 2x weekly. I also use T/Sal a couple times a week.. I let both those shampoos sit for a good 3 - 5 minutes.

Maybe I am over washing and drying my scalp? I find that if I don't wash my hair & scalp daily, that the minoxidil buildup gets ridiculous and there is all sorts of flaking when I comb my hair!!!

I figure that hairs are still growing AROUND my thinnest most irritated spots, so why wouldn't new hairs grow FROM the most irritated itchy spots?

Please help..

misterium

Reaction score
bump !

misterium

Reaction score
BUMP !

will new hairs grow on itchy, tender, irritated inflamed skin?

(I'm not talking scar tissue skin, just skin that's been over-combed for scratching purposes when the itch gets too annoying)..

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude, stop scratching your head till it gets irritated, thats not going to be good in the long run. If it itches just ignore it, it will go away.

misterium

Reaction score
I know I need to stop scratching.. I'm just wondering if it's going to cause hair in those tender irritated spots to stop growing forever.. and if minoxidil will allow new hair to grow on such spots.

VWdude

Reaction score
The worst itch I get is usually on non male pattern baldness areas, and my hair is thick as hell in those areas...So I think you're good bud.

misterium

Reaction score
well, my worst itch is in my thinnest male pattern baldness spot on my crown! it's this single spot that tingles most of the day, and feels sooooo good when i scratch it..

That is the spot I'm worried about .. it is tender to the touch at times, and it's not like I gouge it when I scratch, I usually just run my plastic comb over it again and again, the tingle increases and the itch is satisfied after a few good comb rubbings..

I wonder if hair will grow here.. or if scalp tissue must be completely bleeding and/or scarred before hair completely stops growing.. in that sense, I'm not so worried because I definately haven't broken any skin.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dunno man, I have this bad wrist, carpel tunnel or some sh1t. Ive been rubbing this anti-inflammitory cream on it for the last 6 months and on the side of my wrist that has bodyhair on it, its a lot patchy'er than on the other arm. I think constantly irritating it with that cream and rubbing it has killed a lot of hairs. Really try to leave your scalp alone, let it get healthy.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
misterium, you need to get your scalp back into good condition to regrow your hair! no question about it....

If you think that minoxidil is causing some of the irritation then Dr. lee sells a ppg-free minoxidil formula just for those situations. However, before switching to that I would recommend using folligen. good stuff and will defintely help to get your scalp in better shape.

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
From my experience itch excacerbates fall out,its def something you want to stop.

Having an inflammed,itchy scalp may not stop hair growing but it certainly could not do it any good.

misterium

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the replies fellas..

I don't think I've caused 'permanent damage' but I've been getting it under better control lately.

I hope I haven't killed off any areas forever, but I don't think I did...

I tried Folligen before, it was too potent, I had to dillute it. I prefer Tricomin much better, it's just so expensive which is a bunch of crap.