Will minoxidil help me, any help appreciated

WeeMoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi im 53yrs old , this is the amount of hair I lose everytime I wash my hair. I did go to the doctors about 2yrs ago about this but i wasn't listen to. I asked if it could be to do with the menopause but again I got fobbed off. My hair used to be long and relatively thick. But now it's quite thin. Do you think minoxidil topical or orally could help? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
IMG_20200820_123945.jpg

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi im 53yrs old , this is the amount of hair I lose everytime I wash my hair. I did go to the doctors about 2yrs ago about this but i wasn't listen to. I asked if it could be to do with the menopause but again I got fobbed off. My hair used to be long and relatively thick. But now it's quite thin. Do you think minoxidil topical or orally could help? Any advice would be much appreciated. ThanksView attachment 171844
Doctors will typically prescribe minoxidil and spironolactone for female pattern hairloss. For post-menopausal women stronger drugs such as Finasteride/dutasteride are potential options. You should first try to seek out a dermatologist or hairloss surgeon that specializes in treating female pattern hairloss to discuss your options. These doctors will typically prescribe topical minoxidil or 0.625-1.25mg/day oral minoxidil for women.

Please note, oral minoxidil is a powerful drug and has many potential side effects that you must be properly advised on (tachycardia, edema, etc) with hypertrichosis being the most problematic for many women.

In the below video three dermatologists discuss various hairloss case studies including that of a 52yr old woman (44:00) and how they would approach treating her. There are other videos in this series where they discuss oral min and female hairloss that may be useful for you:

WeeMoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I'll go back to my doctor and ask for a referral to a trichologist or dermatologist

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I'll go back to my doctor and ask for a referral to a trichologist or dermatologist
It can be difficult to find a good dermatologist that knows how to treat hairloss depending on which country you live in. Also consider consulting with a hairloss surgeon as they can write prescriptions for medication (see website below). Good luck.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to do a full blood test. First at all, you should be sure that it is Female pattern baldness and not any other kind of hair loss. Also, you should check your thyroid levels ( TSH, free T4 and T3 ) . Are you using any medication that might can cause hair loss ? Is there are history of hair loss in your family ? your mom ? your grandmom ?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctors will typically prescribe minoxidil and spironolactone for female pattern hairloss. For post-menopausal women stronger drugs such as Finasteride/dutasteride are potential options. You should first try to seek out a dermatologist or hairloss surgeon that specializes in treating female pattern hairloss to discuss your options. These doctors will typically prescribe topical minoxidil or 0.625-1.25mg/day oral minoxidil for women.

Please note, oral minoxidil is a powerful drug and has many potential side effects that you must be properly advised on (tachycardia, edema, etc) with hypertrichosis being the most problematic for many women.

In the below video three dermatologists discuss various hairloss case studies including that of a 52yr old woman (44:00) and how they would approach treating her. There are other videos in this series where they discuss oral min and female hairloss that may be useful for you:

How do you know it is female pattern hairloss ?

WeeMoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to do a full blood test. First at all, you should be sure that it is Female pattern baldness and not any other kind of hair loss. Also, you should check your thyroid levels ( TSH, free T4 and T3 ) . Are you using any medication that might can cause hair loss ? Is there are history of hair loss in your family ? your mom ? your grandmom ?
Both my mum (84yrs) and gran (82yrs) had really good hair . Im still trying to get an appointment to see my gp ( can't get a face to face appointment due to covid). Its not balding but more thinning I have. I'll ask for blood tests etc when I eventually get to see my gp. Thanks for advice

Arlena

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi im 53yrs old , this is the amount of hair I lose everytime I wash my hair. I did go to the doctors about 2yrs ago about this but i wasn't listen to. I asked if it could be to do with the menopause but again I got fobbed off. My hair used to be long and relatively thick. But now it's quite thin. Do you think minoxidil topical or orally could help? Any advice would be much appreciated. ThanksView attachment 171844
Check the rubber washers in your shower head!! My shower head had these black small washers that were degraded and giving off this black ink that was going in the water and all over me when I showered. Since I replaced my shower head and got rid of those washers my hair is growing back again. I would have never known if my shower head didn't break. I was losing hair like you for years and had no idea. I thought it was aging because I am 51. Hope this helps!