Will I ever stop shedding?

Z-Man

Reaction score
It's been almost 5 months since I started .25mg Finpecia, and all is well except for shedding! Will it ever go away? When I was on Avo for 1.5 yrs it didn't. Any advice? I know all about the "pushing out hairs to grow new ones," but doesn't it get to a point where it overrides the benefits if it doesn't stop and grow new hair?

bubka

Reaction score
i have heard some go up to 6-8 months... i would stick it out for a year, i mean is it worse than before taking propecia? you may be one of the unlucky ones too

Z-Man

Reaction score
I didn't shed when not on 'Peesh. The thing is, is that it has definitly helped the hairs that are there become darker and healthier, however shampooing and using a styling product yeilds an alarming amount of hair on my hands.

bubka

Reaction score
well over 100 a day (general rule of thumb) and you are losing, keep that in mind, i would continue to stick with it

also, best to compare with current and starting pictures, daily hair counting can become obsessive and depressing

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
You said that you were on Avo meaning Avodart?

Avodart is stronger than finasteride, especially when you are only taking .25mg of finasteride. You are probably shedding hairs that were protected by Avodart but not by finasteride.

Z-Man

Reaction score
You might be right, but it's just strange. I quit Avodart for about 5 months before switching to finasteride, and during that cessation period I did not shed! In fact, it seemed thicker than when I was on Avo. However, I started to get a clammy, cold sensation in my scalp and I knew that DHT was taking over. I started finasteride and the clammy sensation went away but then I started to shed again.

bubka

Reaction score
yeah, not to mention that with the ridiculous long half life of dutasteride, it takes a good 6 months to totally exit the body

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finpecia since febuary and am still shedding thin unpigmented hairs! It sucks!!! Thinking about adding in Nano and folligen.

Z-Man

Reaction score
I wonder if the dosage or accumulation of the drug in the body is too much. I can't handle the sides on 1mg finasteride and do pretty good on .25mg, however I shed as if I were on 1mg and like the even stronger Avodart. I guess a lot of people stop shedding after a period of time but some don't. It's obvious though that finasteride, or at least its affects, has an accumulation affect, resulting in a stronger affect over time.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe 0.25mg isn´t enough to halt your hair loss and the shedding is just hair loss itself.

Z-Man

Reaction score
No, because when I wasn't on finasteride, I didn't shed. When I was on 0.5mg of Avodart, I shed like hell. 2 weeks after I started finasteride, I shed like hell.