Will hair system technology ever reach the point where they don't shed or fade, and last indefinitely?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As the title says. We know that hair systems have a limited lifespan, typically 3 - 6 months, though some people might be able to stretch it out a bit longer with certain hairstyles or if they really look after them. We know that the biggest problems with hair systems are fading and shedding. Fading can be fixed, but shedding is a lot harder to fix. Do you think hair systems will ever evolve to the point where someone invents systems that never shed or fade? What is stopping this from happening? Why does shedding and fading occur, and is there a solution to it?

If someone was to solve these problems, they could bring out a hair system that lasts indefinitely. However, one reason I think this hasn't been invented is because hair system companies rely on repeat business to bring in constant income. If hair systems lasted indefinitely, people would only need to buy them one time (unless they wanted a different specification for another system), thereby drying up the companies' income. I also think a hair system that lasted forever would cost a LOT more than the ones we have today.

What are your thoughts on this? Is hair system technology evolving, or are companies still making them the same way they've been made for a long time?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is zero benefit, to anyone in the hair system business, to take a consumable product....with life-long customers and make it a one time purchase....

6/12 system a year at $250 = $1500/$3000 per annum or 15/30k per decade.

Would you pay 20k for one wig?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is zero benefit, to anyone in the hair system business, to take a consumable product....with life-long customers and make it a one time purchase....

6/12 system a year at $250 = $1500/$3000 per annum or 15/30k per decade.

Would you pay 20k for one wig?

No I wouldn't pay that much, but if it was possible to spread the cost monthly or something then that might work. It would still save the hassle of having to order and wait for new systems to arrive, and the annoyance of fading and shedding.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
No I wouldn't pay that much, but if it was possible to spread the cost monthly or something then that might work. It would still save the hassle of having to order and wait for new systems to arrive, and the annoyance of fading and shedding.
Would you be willing to pay 15% interest to spread the payments out?

I would expect your answer to be no. However you would be expecting the manufacturers to lend you money for free, otherwise.

It's very easy to plan orders ahead of time....

Respectfully, claiming ordering and waiting is a hassle is awfully melodramatic. It takes 30 seconds to place an order, and most retailers,including those in China, will have it at your door within 3 days.

The closest thing to real hair, is real hair, and unfortunately real hair does not last forever..... And again there is absolutely nothing but negative...for manufactures or supplies to change it....

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Poly edge with fine mono centre if you want it to last past 6 months.
However the hair itself probably wouldn't last over a year.

I was wondering - do systems with poly edges shed less? I mean, when you pull the tape off, the poly barrier will stop hairs being pulled off (which can happen with lace if you're not gentle). Also, does mono shed less than lace too?

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was wondering - do systems with poly edges shed less? I mean, when you pull the tape off, the poly barrier will stop hairs being pulled off (which can happen with lace if you're not gentle). Also, does mono shed less than lace too?
The poly section seems to shed less. As hairs can't be pulled through the base unlike with lace.

However I never had a mono base, but read it's tougher than lace.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends what you guys mean by poly too.

On my 0.03mm UTS, hairs shed slowly from 3 months in, and then rapidly from 5 / 6 months in. The hairline suffers the most, in particular because I have a semi-exposed hairline and hence need to clean/bond the front section more often.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The poly section seems to shed less. As hairs can't be pulled through the base unlike with lace.

However I never had a mono base, but read it's tougher than lace.

Is the poly edge actually on top of the lace, or is it pure poly in that section? I've always wondered how lace systems with poly edges are made.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends what you guys mean by poly too.

On my 0.03mm UTS, hairs shed slowly from 3 months in, and then rapidly from 5 / 6 months in. The hairline suffers the most, in particular because I have a semi-exposed hairline and hence need to clean/bond the front section more often.

My old entire poly system was 0.05mm UTS.
The poly border on my hybrid system
Is the poly edge actually on top of the lace, or is it pure poly in that section? I've always wondered how lace systems with poly edges are made.
I don't know...
But a worn out or cheap hybrid stock system you could take apart to find out...