Will a Poly System Shrink? From heat or cleaning product?

Marooned

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently had a system cut in by TCP. It's a thin skin, but I don't know exactly what the thickness is.

After a few showers, I noticed that there was a gap forming between the system and the shaved shape on my head. I tried removing / cleaning the system and after reapplying it, there was at least a centimeter gap all around. It's essentially ruined..

Is it possible that I shrunk it? TBH, it was an bad system, so I was rough with it (hot showers, blowdrying with regular heat, head and shoulders shampoo, cleaning with TCP's own alcohol based cleaner). But I didn't expect the material to actually shrink. Or, did TCP actually stretch the system out during application?

Thanks!

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it was stretched during application.
You have to stretch it too during your application :)

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TCP is 0.03mm UTS.

UTS / Poly is essentially plastic and it will shrink with heat. You should avoid any kind of direct heat - blowdryers, hot showers. But then again, you should avoid that on any system because it's bad for the hair.

1 cm shrinkage is huge though. I would guess that the system wasn't large enough in the first place. I now order bespoke systems where my UTS is a little bigger than needed, because I know it will shrink over time - even if you don't use excessive heat, the plastic will shrink slowly over time.

What do you mean that it was a bad system? Is there anything you or TCP can learn from, that can be changed on your next system?

Marooned

My Regimen
Reaction score
@smoka123: if it was stretched, I imagine I would have felt it. Maybe this is part of the hair system experience, pulling back the skin on your head to remove a few wrinkles at the same time? :) But I don't know how else to explain it.

@deg_dilemma: I have a second system which I did not have cut in / or to a template. So I'm going to try to cut off a few pieces of excess and see if I can make them shrink with heat. Maybe this will explain the mystery.

When I say it was a bad system: it was a shade too dark, and the cut in was unfortunate at best. The stylist applied the thinning shears to try to bring down the density, but instead it looked like a shaggy mess. I think I can learn a lot from the experience, but next time I will play around with the second system, and attempt different styles until I commit to something. It's been a long time since I had decent hair and I don't think that I know what works / what's current / what's right for me in my 30's.

Sorry to abandon this thread for so long, I really needed some distance from this topic for a while..

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let us know what happens with your experiment on the shrinking. It will be interesting.

Also if you're happy with UTS then maybe opt for a custom system. You can lower the density and mix up colours to get your desired result. Though as I've said in other posts, it's vital to have a good stylist to cut the hair first time.