wife pregnant! any safe alternative to topical spironolactone??

spacemario

Reaction score
hey guys! while i can't dig up any conclusive scientific evidence on the subject, i'm worried about using my topical 5% spironolactone cream while my wife is pregnant and i've decided to stop.

i've been using spironolactone + revivogen for years and years, with amazing results, and i'm bummed to let go of the regimen, but it's just not worth the risk in my mind, no matter how small.

***does anyone know of a viable replacement for spironolactone (that wouldn't pose any risk to my pregnant wife)?***

thanks so much!!

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Chris87 said:
Why not take finasteride (orally)?

ermm was that supposed to be a joke?.......

spacemario said:
***does anyone know of a viable replacement for spironolactone (that wouldn't pose any risk to my pregnant wife)?***

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
Primo said:
Chris87 said:

spacemario said:

Well it wouldn't pose a risk to your pregnant wife as long as she's not handling broken tablets..so yeah... and I would think it'd be a better alternative to spironolactone in that regard in that...when you take finasteride..you swallow a pill and its gone. When you use spironolactone it sits on your scalp and your hands and can possible be absorbed when she touches your hair, hands, anything you've laid on or touched etc.

Plenty of guys (on this forum and elsewhere) have had multiple kids while taking finasteride and I've never heard of any problem. In fact I don't think I've ever heard of any problem anywhere and I don't believe there is one study where a problem was reported with guys taking finasteride having fucked up kids or something.

So I believe as long as your wife avoids handling broken pills you'll be fine

spacemario

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. i'm realizing that any topical that has the power to affect hair growth and hair loss by definition also has the power to affect hormones, and therefore there's probably no magical super safe solution out there.

my current strategy is:

- give up spironolactone cream completely, as it's probably the most risky
- apply my revivogen and tricomin right in the morning before i leave for work
- shower right when i get back from work, shampooing out the topicals
- wear a headcover at night in bed

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Some seriously irresponsible answers in this thread... The propecia leaflet has a warning about birth defects when taking finasteride.

Yes the chances are very small... minute even! However for people on here to say "no risk, you'll be fine" isn't something they should be saying and don't have any sort of medical background in which to back up that statement.

If it's important enough to be in the propecia leaflet and you are worried about things like this then please bare the makers warning in mind

Rawtashk

Reaction score
There is no risk of harming the developing baby if you're on finasteride. The potential harm can come from the pregnant woman handling the pills.

Seriously, you seem to be the one spreading misinformation around here!

hammer2012

Reaction score
Chris87 said:
Primo said:
Chris87 said:

spacemario said:

Well it wouldn't pose a risk to your pregnant wife as long as she's not handling broken tablets..so yeah... and I would think it'd be a better alternative to spironolactone in that regard in that...when you take finasteride..you swallow a pill and its gone. When you use spironolactone it sits on your scalp and your hands and can possible be absorbed when she touches your hair, hands, anything you've laid on or touched etc.

Plenty of guys (on this forum and elsewhere) have had multiple kids while taking finasteride and I've never heard of any problem. In fact I don't think I've ever heard of any problem anywhere and I don't believe there is one study where a problem was reported with guys taking finasteride having f***ed up kids or something.

So I believe as long as your wife avoids handling broken pills you'll be fine

Yeah plenty guys had kids while on finasteride but im sure I read somewhere they had more baby girls than boys. There was guy on this site who was blaming his daughter's learning disability on finasteride, who knows maybe a coincident??? :dunno:

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
There is no risk of harming the developing baby if you're on finasteride. The potential harm can come from the pregnant woman handling the pills.

Seriously, you seem to be the one spreading misinformation around here!

A very good hair transplant doctor who I saw who takes finasteride came off it because he wanted to try kids - he stayed off it when his wife was pregnant because of worries and switched to just using minoxidil with other topical antiandrogens 'in case' they worked.

I know that I couldn't take the risk. I wouldn't be able to live with myself nif my son had deformed genitals or development because of my vanity.

rcom440

Reaction score
I've never heard about spironolactone cream being able to affect unborn baby unless your wife eat some of it.

RTB

Reaction score
um how can topical spironolactone affect the baby if it only you are using it?
I don't get it.