Why You Should Not Be Afraid Of Shedding

gman3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently quit my entire hair loss regimen I had been trying for the past 1-1.5 years (Dutasteride, Finasteride, RU, Minoxidil 5%, Oral Min, Microneedling, supplements).

The entire time I was on this regimen I had massive shedding. I could not run my fingers through my hair without at least 2 or 3 falling out. The sink would be full of hair every single day as I still have thick enough hair to do that. Ironically, my hair while on this regimen was far superior to what I have just a few months off treatment, but my shedding has virtually stopped. I suspect the Minoxidil was the main culprit but I do not know for sure. I can say that the Minoxidil helped maintain my temples. I only have temple and hairline recession currently, no vertex balding.

I was warned of the potential dread sheds brought on by Fina or Min. My hair was much better even with the sheds. After quitting everything, my shedding virtually stopped. Hair doesn't come out in my hand nearly as often, however my hairline has receded even further and it has gotten much thinner. Don't be afraid of the shedding; my hair shed dramatically for over a year but still ended up better on treatment, and I am confident in that.

Trying to find a new regimen or a fix for the sides. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

hoko

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. shedding doesn't mean miniaturization as some here seem to think. It's just the resetting of the hair cycle. I've ALWAYS shed a lot of hair from all over my body, but it's more a consequence of hair density than hair loss. People with more hair lose more hair. I lose the same amount of hair now, on dutasteride and oral minoxidil, than I did before treatment. In the latter case, I was losing ground, but in the former, I'm maintaining.

gman3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. shedding doesn't mean miniaturization as some here seem to think. It's just the resetting of the hair cycle. I've ALWAYS shed a lot of hair from all over my body, but it's more a consequence of hair density than hair loss. People with more hair lose more hair. I lose the same amount of hair now, on dutasteride and oral minoxidil, than I did before treatment. In the latter case, I was losing ground, but in the former, I'm maintaining.

I shed hair all over my body as well. However, scalp hair shedding was the most pronounced. Nobody should be afraid of the shedding unless it’s making their hair thinner consistently over a long period of time (8 months to a year). Of course it’s different for everyone. I regret going off of treatment even with sides and shedding.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you’re older the shed doesn’t come with the same regrowth even if the AA aspects are being addressed. Each cycle will have a natural component of age relegated degradation. When this started for me the aggressive shed eventually forced out high caliber black hair, there’s been regrowth but it’s all thin and light brown not black. Overall the hair sides and back are weaker and more whispy.