Why Ru58841 Is Most Likely Stable In Solution (or At Least There Is No Evidence To Show It Is Not)

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as I know, I believe I have read all the studies on RU58841. There are not that many of them. Although many people worry about the stability of RU58841 in solution, from what I have read, there is no published evidence suggesting this should be a concern. I am not sure how this "rumor" began, but I think it can just be called that at this stage.

The best "evidence" I have seen in trying to investigate this has come from this site, which is a competitor of Kane's. It suggests that since nilutamide is supposedly prone to hydrolysis (breakdown in the presence of water), and nilutamide is similar to RU58841 in structure, so too must be RU58841.

Absolutely, nilutamide is quite similar to RU58841.

This is RU58841:
ru.png

Or flipped upside down for better comparison it looks like this:
ru.png

This is nilutamide:
c4nj00158c-f1_hi-res.gif

Once you flip the RU so they're oriented the same way, I don't think you have to be an expert in chemistry to see the similarities. Most androgens receptor antagonists have similarities in structure, and these two are more similar than most.

So perhaps the stability of RU58841 could be inferred from the stability of nilutamide. However, the claim RU58841.info makes about nilutamide being prone to breakdown in water is absolutely false.

I have reviewed the article they reference that they claim suggests this. I have attached it for posterity. So far as I can tell, the article actually makes no such claim.

To the contrary, here is what the article actually says, which is the same thing twice:

Abstract: Nilutamide showed significant degradation under basic hydrolysis and photolytic stress conditions, while it was stable to neutral, acidic and thermal stress conditions.

Discussion: The drug forms four degradation products, DP-I (retention time, Rt = 7.9 min), DP-II (Rt = 5.6 min), DP-III (Rt = 5.8 min) and DP-IV (Rt = 8.4) min under alkaline hydrolysis, and fifth, DP-V (Rt = 8.8 min), under photolytic conditions, while it was stable to neutral, acidic and thermal stress conditions.

"Neutral" stress conditions meant exposing it to neutral pH water for 48 hours. Acidic conditions meant adding acid, alkaline conditions meant adding base. Photolytic stress was stress from strong UV light. Thermal stress was heating it.

Out of all that, only under alkaline conditions in the presence of water did nilutamide significantly break down. There was a mild degree of breakdown under photolytic stress. This is why Kane ships in dark bottles - to protect from light, and you should keep it in dark bottles. But there was no breakdown under neutral water exposure, acidic water exposure, or heat stress conditions.

Even with light, the risk of breakdown is very low. You can see the degree of minimal breakdown under UV stress here:

breakdown.PNG

The "photolysis" breakdown product is labelled DP-V on the bottom diagram, and as you can see it's just a tiny bump, indicating even under hard UV stress it barely broke down at all.

Solution stability tests in the actual kinds of solvents we use for topical hair loss treatment (ie. PG-based solutions) are very hard to run as describe here, so it would be difficult to objectively confirm that RU58841 is stable in a practical real world solution.

Kane has claimed RU he has tested after leaving it in ethanol (which will have some water in it) for 6 months likely in the dark has been stable. I see no reason to disbelieve him. Since there will always be a bit of light exposure, we shouldn't expect such absolutely perfect long term perfection in real life. But no one is putting their bottles of RU in a tanning bed either.

In my opinion, this is therefore likely just an unfounded urban legend, and probably RU is stable in neutral pH solutions like we generally use, as long as you keep it in a dark bottle and out of direct sunlight.

That said, in my opinion, there isn't much benefit in mixing more than a few weeks worth of any topical solution at a time. It's not that much labor to mix these, and it will give you peace of mind to do them more frequently. When I first started with RU, I mixed daily, but in the past year, I have generally mixed ~10 days at a time, which I find is a reasonable compromise.

I think you could certainly try to do bigger and longer batches if you felt inclined. At least there doesn't seem to be any evidence to say you shouldn't.

Attachments

• Babu_et_al-2014-Biomedical_Chromatography.pdf
    510.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
My RU starts forming crystals that fall to the bottom in Ethanol/PG after just 4-5 days. I got mine from Group-Buys Poland.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
My RU starts forming crystals that fall to the bottom in Ethanol/PG after just 4-5 days. I got mine from Group-Buys Poland.

I have heard you say that before and I really don't know why it does that. I find it interesting but can't explain it.

My batches of 7.5% RU mixed with powder from Kane have never exhibited this behavior. My current batch with daro is well over a week old now and still crystal clear.

Are you using any other ingredients in there? Is it a dark bottle? Is there any sun exposure?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard you say that before and I really don't know why it does that. I find it interesting but can't explain it.

My batches of 7.5% RU mixed with powder from Kane have never exhibited this behavior. My current batch with daro is well over a week old now and still crystal clear.

Are you using any other ingredients in there? Is it a dark bottle? Is there any sun exposure?

Normal amber glass bottle, 96% ethanol, propylene glycol. The mix is 70% ethanol and 30% PG.
I've tried to keep it refrigerated and at room temperature and the same thing happens. I keep it in a dark place.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much regrowth have you gotten?
Why are you choosing RU over finasteride?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much regrowth have you gotten?
Why are you choosing RU over finasteride?

Who are you asking? Me? Finasteride doesn't work for me. Neither does dutasteride. RU 5% worked reasonably with minoxidil 5% for a year with mild regrowth but when I dropped the minoxidil and lowered my percent of RU to ~3.7% for a year, I lost ground.

I'm currently using all topical with a custom forulation of:

- Darolutamide 0.25%
- RU58841 7.5%
- Niacinamide 5%
- Minoxidil 5%
- Desloratadine 1%

I'm growing back hair steadily but it's slow. I'd say I've gained 1/2 to 1 Norwood in the past two months. It's hard to rate for me precisely, but I'm very happy.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good post. I'm considering trying out RU for kicks just for extra protection. I was planning on just buying the premade solutions so this is good to know.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Who are you asking? Me? Finasteride doesn't work for me. Neither does dutasteride. RU 5% worked reasonably with minoxidil 5% for a year with mild regrowth but when I dropped the minoxidil and lowered my percent of RU to ~3.7% for a year, I lost ground.

- Darolutamide 0.25%
- RU58841 7.5%
- Niacinamide 5%
- Minoxidil 5%
- Desloratadine 1%

I'm growing back hair steadily but it's slow. I'd say I've gained 1/2 to 1 Norwood in the past two months. It's hard to rate for me precisely, but I'm very happy.

why did you lower the ru initially?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
why did you lower the ru initially?

I got overconfident, read about people applying as little as 50 mg a day with "success", and thought I'd try to get away with the lowest dose possible for less risk of long term side effects and theoretical potential carcinogenicity from breakdown products.

One of the interesting substories of the article I posted is that they looked at predicting the carcinogenicity of nilutamide's breakdown products, and all were at least slightly higher than nilutamide itself. Granted those were breakdown products induced by alkaline and photolytic stress, which would not mirror the breakdown products created naturally in the liver.

But we have no studies on the predicted carcinogenicity pf RU breakdown products naturally created in the liver. Probably someone could figure out what software they used, gain access, and run an analysis. The breakdown products are published. Either way, additionally, even something that is 99.4% pure or so has a significant amount of impurity in high doses.

So when you are applying 300 mg of an unregulated compound with unknown long term safety to your scalp every day (of which at a minimum 1.8 mg are also unknown impurities), as I am now, there may be long term repercussions.

I have been debating dropping the RU and continuing only with daro in part for this reason (as only 5 mg of daro each day clearly beats 300 mg RU), but I have at least 4-5 months of RU supply on hand, and I don't want to f*** with my results, so I am continuing for now. I haven't decided what I will do yet long term.

@whatevr, I have some RU from Purity Prod and also from Xi'An Lyphar on hand. I will try to mix my next batch from the Purity Prod stash and see if it exhibits the behavior you're describing. As I said, I've never seen that from Kane's stuff. Certainly nothing I can clearly see.

Last edited:

Lorant Bank

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've just ordered 10g RU from Group-Buys.R they reliable? I payed on Transferwise but they didn't ship my item, and not answering emails. What was your experience ?

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

- Darolutamide 0.25%
- RU58841 7.5%
- Niacinamide 5%
- Minoxidil 5%
- Desloratadine 1%

- Darolutamide 0.25%
- RU58841 7.5%
- Niacinamide 5%
- Minoxidil 5%
- Desloratadine 1%

Do you have any pics?