Why reducing DHT dont grow lost hairs?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is undoubtedly clear that DHT is solely responsible for hairloss in men.finasteride or propecia blocks DHT by 70 % and dutasteride blocks it by 90 % .so why blocking the root cause don't grow lost hairs in male pattern baldness? does DHT causes irreversible damage to hair follicles? Or follicles just vanish due to DHT?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is undoubtedly clear that DHT is solely responsible for hairloss in men.finasteride or propecia blocks DHT by 70 % and dutasteride blocks it by 90 % .so why blocking the root cause don't grow lost hairs in male pattern baldness? does DHT causes irreversible damage to hair follicles? Or follicles just vanish due to DHT?

For the same reason that putting out a fire doesn't rebuild your house, once it has already burned down.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are assuming that your hair 'should' regenerate by default. Why do you assume that?

Why doesn't your finger regenerate after you cut it off?
In other alopecias hairs can regrow to normal after treatment but not in Male pattern baldness.why does this so?

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT also isn’t solely responsible for hairloss in men. Even if you were to block DHT completely testosterone itself can cause hairloss for some men.

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once the hair becomes dormant, it is very hard to bring back to life unless you are really lucky.
Take, for an example, this guy. 40 years of being bald and suddenly seeing moderate growth. Granted his prostate treatment has eliminated most of the DHT.

Andi0501

My Regimen
Reaction score
With a HRT regime, dormant hair follicles can be fully recovered- see the thread of bridgeburn in hairlosstalk

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably the same reason your beard hair doesn't all fall out when you take finasteride/dutasteride. Perhaps some persistent epigenetic change for both, but we really don't know.

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because two progressive hard to reverse conditions develop and they are called calcification and fibrosis. If you give the hair follicles blood flow they will grow back. Men bald because there is not enough blood flow going to their galeas.

Demitri

My Regimen
Reaction score
"It is undoubtedly clear that DHT is solely responsible for hairloss in men" Why would you make that statement if:

-Hair loss doesn't grown back when you block DHT
-Most men continue to go bald after blocking DHT

DHT may start the process or help the process along, but there are other factors at play that are ultimately unknown.

Bora

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are some rumors exist that dutasteride makes lost hair grow though

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it does if it hasn’t been long since you lost hair, like a few years at most. Even then you’ll regrow hair, like 9 out of 10 men. To the extent it’ll be cosmetically significant? That depends again on amount of years past, aggression of the hair loss, maybe even the amount of estrogen you have. Idk it’s very variable. I’ve heard Asians respond the best, but we should really come together to catalog the results people get.

Like how long have you been using finasteride or dutasteride, what’s your ethnicity, what’s your age, when did you start losing hair and how fast does it progress (also when you started treatment), and finally what type of hair loss is it. Maybe someone should create a google Doctor with all this info.

As for why it happens in some and not others, regrowth of hair follicles needs not only a mechanism to block dht, there needs to be more blood flow into the skin tissue and a reversal of calcification. Estrogen does a lot of that which is why I’m assuming it’s so powerful in regrowing hair. finasteride and dutasteride on the other hand doesn’t do the latter two things to the same extent