Why Isn't It Just This Simple To Cure

norton

My Regimen
Reaction score
so i travel a lot and have noticed that here in the US 8 out of every 10 guys are losing hair and latino like South America and Mexico is like the opposite, I noticed 2 out of 10 guys will have hair loss.
Why isn't it just as simple as taking 100 balding US guys scalp biopsy and 100 from South America and study the sh*t out of it?
There must be a pattern or something that would give the answer.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
so i travel a lot and have noticed that here in the US 8 out of every 10 guys are losing hair and latino like South America and Mexico is like the opposite, I noticed 2 out of 10 guys will have hair loss.
Why isn't it just as simple as taking 100 balding US guys scalp biopsy and 100 from South America and study the sh*t out of it?
There must be a pattern or something that would give the answer.

Reduced number of dermal papilla cells in the follicle in balding men. Reverse that in the follicle and you've cured hair loss.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
So really, that's the answer and nobody can come up with anything ?

They could come up with something and there's been plenty of attempts, but governing bodies like the FDA are essentially the problem where trials are held back thanks to so much bureaucracy. When I spoke with the Dr. Lauster team, they mentioned that grant money gets used up quickly and sometimes there's a lot of wait times before they can even start a simple mouse trial (up to 9 months).

I blame the system.

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm starting to lose my faith in biomedical tech altogether, not just the hair loss industry. I mean in all the years we have known about stuff like stem cells and gene therapy, what useful therapies have been developed in all that time? There has been little progress, even in stuff as well funded, urgent, and publicly supported as cancer research. It is still the same, "we got something testing it in mice" and the "muh next 5 years" vaporware as in the hair loss industry. I am personally just going to do the best with the methods available today to treat my hair loss and if something comes along great but I am not getting my hopes up. I don't believe these hair loss companies like Histogen and Replicel that say they will have something soon. I think we may have some hair multiplication tech coming to market in 2030, and honestly that is a very liberal estimate. Hellouser is also right that everything is required to be tested to death for nearly a decade for it to even be approved and that eats up a lot of money and sometimes even if they manage to get results and scrape up enough to get through the lengthy trials they have trouble launching. Only heavily funded government research has the possibility to come up with a solution quickly and history shows that even that is not always reliable.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not just that. There is not enough interest in solving the problem to supply even basic research because resources are poured into life threatening issues like Alzheimers, cancer, heart disease. And the efforts to solve the problem which is via the genetic modifications in my opinion, will take big, big money. And there's just not enough right now that will be poured into it.

Spanishboy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They could come up with something and there's been plenty of attempts, but governing bodies like the FDA are essentially the problem where trials are held back thanks to so much bureaucracy. When I spoke with the Dr. Lauster team, they mentioned that grant money gets used up quickly and sometimes there's a lot of wait times before they can even start a simple mouse trial (up to 9 months).

I blame the system.
What about China and Japon? Or the new 21 century act? Aren't they changing that?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Or, and I hate to pick on Bezos, but we shame him on social media for being bald and he whips out his checkbook for the cure. Pocket money to him anyway.

mdmnota

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked the same question a week ago. Answer was genes. I bet the cure is so simple.

br1

Reaction score
I would not put Replicel (when I read Replicel, I read "Replice's Tech") on the same bag as Histogen..

Replicel released the 5yr data for the Safety trial, and Shiseido is running the phase II trial for efficacy.

They will release later next year (Q4 / 2018).

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder if you are that loaded you just stop caring about hair, or you get that loaded because you stopped caring about your hair a long time ago and could focus on your life.. :)

Not sure what you mean by "loaded", paleocapa89, but yes to both. I have been blessed in life through good fortune and hard work so semi-baldness doesn't disturb me. And had been so busy focusing on my life, I just didn't have time to worry about it either. Now, I'm much older but very healthy and still doing about everything I did in my twenties yet the sight of my youth and the social respect you get from that alone, I see slipping away. True, I'm vain (guess I wouldn't be here otherwise), and so hair=youth, like water in a sieve.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also blame the whole notion of research scientist. They get paid to research. Once their research is done then they have to move on to the next thing. So it seemsthey research and re-research the hell out of something over and over and over to keep getting funding and it delays the process even further

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've also noticed latinos have great follicles and tend to have low hairlines. They're probably just born with fewer androgen receptors in the scalp. they also eat spicy food and that increases IGF-1 but i doubt thats why. I wish I was mexican. f*****g white people seem to be most prone to hairloss. No wonder they conquered everyones land, probably on a power trip from being unable to conquere balding. hahaha

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not that simple to cure pattern hairloss because, despite the cope of "follicles never really die", you essentially need to create new follicles.

Hair itself can be multiplied via a number of different cells, but the problem that has stood in the way is that a number of cells in different methods to do this can't be multiplied (while still keeping their hair-creating properties) in sufficient supply, though newer companies tackling the issue are quite confident this won't be a roadblock for much longer. Shisedo/RepliCel's technology is based on the fact that they can multiply DSC cells indefinitely while retaining their hair-inducing ability, but Phase 1 results suggest it will just grant thinning hair immunity.

Secondly, baldness is largely seen as an irrelevant problem that men should just get over, so there isn't a lot of push from the science and medical communities or investors to see this kind of research through.

Lastly, a great deal of researchers (like the public in general) who have stumbled on something relevant to hair growth in mice, have a pitiful lack of basic understanding of the Androgenetic Alopecia condition and as such, assume that their finding which switches on or off hair growth in the mouse will be relevant to a hereditary, hormonal condition that shrinks follicles into oblivion.

Spoilers: It never is.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe a bit of confirmation bias in your part, which i'm about to be guilty of as well. I am latino, all the men except for 1 uncle in my family are bald, including my brother, and I'm balding. My friends, as far as I can tell, all of their fathers are bald. My two best friends, 1 is bald, the other one is like my Norwood stage but not diffused. Basically the number you said of 2 out of 10, from my perspective it's 2 out of 10 latino men are not balding.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say since you travel a lot, maybe latino men who stay in there country and never come to US never have offsprings that go bald. Could it be the food? something in the air? I don't know, I have uncles who by the time they came to US, they were already at an advanced Norwood stage or bald.

Edit: I'd like to add that my great granfather is Spaniard, and my grandmother is half Spaniard. Maybe this could be it? We have the balding Spaniard gene in the family. My grandmother is very white, pale.

Last edited:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Reduced number of dermal papilla cells in the follicle in balding men. Reverse that in the follicle and you've cured hair loss.

Reduced number in dermal papilla but acording this study (*):
" stem cell pool remain unaffected in Androgenetic Alopecia patient whereas progenitor cells arising from stem cells are much more numerous in the follicles of Androgenetic Alopecia subjects compared to controls".

Why is the reason, IMHO is very simple: Not all stem cells have been able to carry out the trip and are in the initial place immobilized, possibly because the road is filled with hardened sebum.

HF contains a well-described stem cell niche in the bulge area of the hair, close to the sebaceous glands. After the anagen phase, the catagen phase is followed by migration of stem cells (SC) from the bulge to the bulb to regenerate a new hair.

What happens if there is an accumulation and hardening of the sebum in the duct area of the sebaceous gland. What can happen with the journey of the stem cells to the dermal papilla area?

(*) Garza LA, Yang CC, Zhao T, et al. Bald scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia retains hair follicle stem cells but lacks CD200-rich and CD34-positive hair follicle progenitor cells. J Clin Invest 2011; 121:613–22.

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe a bit of confirmation bias in your part, which i'm about to be guilty of as well. I am latino, all the men except for 1 uncle in my family are bald, including my brother, and I'm balding. My friends, as far as I can tell, all of their fathers are bald. My two best friends, 1 is bald, the other one is like my Norwood stage but not diffused. Basically the number you said of 2 out of 10, from my perspective it's 2 out of 10 latino men are not balding.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say since you travel a lot, maybe latino men who stay in there country and never come to US never have offsprings that go bald. Could it be the food? something in the air? I don't know, I have uncles who by the time they came to US, they were already at an advanced Norwood stage or bald.

Edit: I'd like to add that my great granfather is Spaniard, and my grandmother is half Spaniard. Maybe this could be it? We have the balding Spaniard gene in the family. My grandmother is very white, pale.

I think baldness is just noticed MORE in whites.

For example, when you think of Mike Tyson or Samuel L Jackson you probably don't automatically think BALD. But when you think of Bruce Willis or Patrick Stewart...you probably do automatically think BALD. Makes me laugh when people say the Chinese don't go bald when the most famous figure in Chinese history was a norwood 3...Chairman Mao.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think baldness is just noticed MORE in whites.

For example, when you think of Mike Tyson or Samuel L Jackson you probably don't automatically think BALD. But when you think of Bruce Willis or Patrick Stewart...you probably do automatically think BALD. Makes me laugh when people say the Chinese don't go bald when the most famous figure in Chinese history was a norwood 3...Chairman Mao.

The university I went to was like all white. At least it felt like it, just White and Asian, it felt like 80% white, 20% Asian, it was a mostly "white" city in upstate NY. Since i'm so conscious of my balding, of course I notice balding on other males. I saw a total of 1 balding student in my whole 2 years in that school. Now you can say, "well college students are 18-25 years old, that's not exactly the age most white males start balding", while I think this used to be true, I think everyone is balding much faster than before. My father says he started at 29, I started subtle receding at 16, and noticeable receding at 18. My friends fathers say the same thing, they started receding in their late 20s, my bald friends who are my age started in late teens to early 20s. I'd like to also say I saw more balding in the city than in upstate NY. Again, environment? Just throwing some bro science out there, obviously.

While this is a small sample, I think many men on this forum would have the same story "grandfather and father started balding in late 20s-early 30s, I started 5-10 years before them!"

What is it? That's very interesting. Who knows why it's getting worse, or if it's the same and it's just my imagination.