Why is hairloss not listed as a disease?

Gunnersup

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Definition of disease

1: a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms

From my understanding, hairloss is the worse disease, that a person can have. (yes it's a disease, stop coping). I am pretty damn sure cancer is less deadly. Terminal cancer can't compare to hairloss. Both cancer and hairloss have similar death rates attached to them.

Thoughts? Maybe if the notion that hairloss is a disease gets popular, researchers will start studying it more.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am pretty damn sure cancer is less deadly. Terminal cancer can't compare to hairloss. Both cancer and hairloss have similar death rates attached to them.
lol wtf

I think it is because male pattern baldness is a pretty common condition, so it doesn't really get the label of an outright "disease", because so many people have it, so it get's viewed more as a "genetic trait".

I think there is a legit case for it to be considered a disease. I mean it's literally your own body killing off a part of itself, that sh*t is not "just a genetic trait". Alopecia areata does the same thing with a different mechanism than through androgens, yet it is often considered a disease. That harks back to what I said earlier, alopecia areata is a relatively rare condition while male pattern baldness is not. However if irl male pattern baldness was a rare condition like alopecia areata, I genuinely think it would be considered to be a disease or something close to it.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. It's not a disease because it is in essence a secondary sexual characteristic found above all in whites and Semites and mixtures of the two.

2.It has always been around since the beginning of written history.

3. It is correlated with both sexual maturity and beard growth.

4. In terms of terminal follicles, for some men, beard growth can equal scalp hair growth.

5. Because we see such sexual dimorphism all over the mammalian kingdom.

6.Because it is not associated with any immediate health conditions that threaten life.

7. Because it is generally untreatable historically and associated with acne, dermatitis and other DHT artifacts.

8. Because for some people, baldness is an improvement to their crappy, frizzy unkempt hair and is much neater and more acceptable in a corporate or formal environment.

1613962324742.png

9. Because you are conflating physical health with psychological distress or dysphoria.

10. Because it is an artifact related to male dominance, not male inferiority.

11. Because it might be linked with greater fertility and larger organs of fertilization ensuring survival of the gene.

12. Because for most men, it occurs well after the beginning of the ability to breed, hence many or most men only experience it after successful breeding.

13. Because it is associated and correlated with increasing age like wrinkles, sun spots and other artifacts of increasing age.

Welcome to post-industrial society where males are generally not needed anymore except for math and the sciences and music. Chicks do all the rest better with less fuss, recklessness, aggression and violence.

Last edited:

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Up until around 20 years ago, hair loss was not a disease, it was a minor inconvenience and fact of life and normal sign of ageing that usually happened many years after a man had already gotten married, had children, and were established in their career. This is why it is still not considered a disease, its still that old way of thinking. Even men who go bald today outwardly pretend to shrug it off like our fathers and grandfathers did.

However with men balding earlier than ever, the advent of social media, and when they start taking a closer look at male suicide, I can bet that give it another 10 years it will be recognized as a disease.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Up until around 20 years ago, hair loss was not a disease, it was a minor inconvenience and fact of life and normal sign of ageing that usually happened many years after a man had already gotten married, had children, and were established in their career. This is why it is still not considered a disease, its still that old way of thinking. Even men who go bald today outwardly pretend to shrug it off like our fathers and grandfathers did.

However with men balding earlier than ever, the advent of social media, and when they start taking a closer look at male suicide, I can bet that give it another 10 years it will be recognized as a disease.
Not sure. Before Michael Jordan, you rarely saw players who shaved their bald fringe. Slick Watts was notable because he was the first more or less to do so. After Jordan, the bald look became a thing.

People seem to be maturing earlier nowadays both boys and girls. The other thing is that beards and baldness are so interlinked that people might have to choose one or the other. Now baldness is associated with a huge host of different diseases in the long-run including Covid so the HRT approach might be seen as a longevity and wellness treatment for baldness and decreasing heart disease, cancer, especially prostate cancer and might be used to re-matrix worn out body tissue as HRT affects essentially all tissue save bone. It could be that somehow altering intestinal and scalp flora might eradicate it but since it appears to be the same as other types of mammalian keratin changes related to sexual maturity, it might never be eradicated. Why is the gene continuing to be expressed if it is such a drag?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since I am a lawyer and can argue both sides:

But, if one wants to have an alternative viewpoint, then yes, baldness is a disease characterized by over-runs of scalp yeast known as Malassezia. These yeast consume sebum as the entirety of their diet and then like all living organisms, they take a crap all over one's scalp especially adult male scalp since that is where the most sebum production occurs. It is strongly linked with dermatitis and can infect the hair and face and then back again.

When we had no treatments, polysorbate 60 and 80 were it. They were said to clean clogged follicles back in the 80's and used by many. However the sebum plug theory fell out of favor and the FDA forced all companies to stop advertising. I swore by them before minoxidil. So how did they work then if it wasn't by clearing follicles? They rarely regrew hair and when they did it was typical minoxidil type of marginal improvement. But they might have efficiently dissolved hardened sebum and washed it away. This decreases the amount of "food" for Malassezia, and so the yeast colony retreats and stops producing so much sebum by-products which in essence start off a chain of inflammation and hair loss. These aspects that are inflammatory are a key part of incipient baldness and thus might be regarded as both disease-like and susceptible to non-DHT type treatments.

As can be seen from the summary of scalp abnormalities, the most common manifestation to hair emerged from an unhealthy scalp is an altered cuticle with evidence of surface pitting, roughness, cuticle rigidity, or breakage. In some cases, the impact is manifested as shine reduction. In addition to the physical changes, there are biochemical alterations observed in hair emerged from an unhealthy scalp, with both protein and lipid components affected, most commonly by oxidative damage.[17,61,66,67]

Finally, a number of observations have found that premature hair loss may be caused by the poor scalp health associated with either dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis,[62,63,64] or psoriasis,[68,69] indicating that the effect on the preemergent hair fiber may alter the anchoring force of the fiber with the follicle, as evidenced by an increased proportion both of catagen and telogen,[74,75] and of dysplastic anagen hairs (anagen hairs devoid of hair root sheaths)[75,76] in the trichogram (hair pluck).

Last edited:

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s a disease

that second paragraph is 100% going to happen and if they still don’t recognize it as a disease than they are more unfortunate. The male population already has the highest rate of suicide. You can find stories of people taking their life because of hair loss. Not trying to offend but risking sexual organs voluntarily or involuntarily is also worrying. Regardless of it being a disease or not, it’s apathetic and foolishness not to develop a cure that would make so much money and improve us economically. Even if hair loss doesn’t make a person suicidal or cause sexual side effects. The depression and low esteem could easily stop the younger generation from reaching their fullest potential socially, occupational, relationships, and at that point you start drinking and paying hookers to only hold you while you cry.

idk hair loss makes sh*t weird. You feel like your life is flashing before your eyes but then you feel like your just being a bit*h. Then your realize you only feel that way because of society pushing that macho man just shave it bro stereotype so then you want to jump out a window again. Honestly, this whole experience has to have caused my bi polar to increase by like 80%.

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s a disease

that second paragraph is 100% going to happen and if they still don’t recognize it as a disease than they are more unfortunate. The male population already has the highest rate of suicide. You can find stories of people taking their life because of hair loss. Not trying to offend but risking sexual organs voluntarily or involuntarily is also worrying. Regardless of it being a disease or not, it’s apathetic and foolishness not to develop a cure that would make so much money and improve us economically. Even if hair loss doesn’t make a person suicidal or cause sexual side effects. The depression and low esteem could easily stop the younger generation from reaching their fullest potential socially, occupational, relationships, and at that point you start drinking and paying hookers to only hold you while you cry.

idk hair loss makes sh*t weird. You feel like your life is flashing before your eyes but then you feel like your just being a bit*h. Then your realize you only feel that way because of society pushing that macho man just shave it bro stereotype so then you want to jump out a window again. Honestly, this whole experience has to have caused my bi polar to increase by like 80%.
Honestly if people didnt mock hair system wearers, problem solved.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
not even trolling, we’re the closest we’ve ever been to hair multiplication/cloning. In other words, regardless of your type of hair loss, you can be “cured” with that tech. So hold on to as much hair as you can until it’s available.

so research might be important but we’re well on our way

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
not even trolling, we’re the closest we’ve ever been to hair multiplication/cloning. In other words, regardless of your type of hair loss, you can be “cured” with that tech. So hold on to as much hair as you can until it’s available.

Can just agree here. I would be afraid if humanity won't be able to implant multiplied/cloned hair on human skin within this decade. If not, we are an useless race, literally.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Research speed usually doubles every couple of years. My guess is that within this decade we will not have multiplying/cloning for most people, but the tech itself should be here in late 20s
Agree! I think cloning hair will be done in 2030-2050 in public.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
mostly right except for this lol. women suck at almost everything . and women arent fussy? you've got to be kidding me
Jails and prisons except for petty drug offenses are all but exclusively built to house males.... I am not talking about being high maintenance which I am, of course, an example of.

deathdiss

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

i wonder if the hair cloning can lower ur hairline to ur eyebrows

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well obviously women have had no problems mating with bald men generation after generation, otherwise those genes would have washed out a long time ago, so in a purely biological sense it is hard to argue that it is a disease.

And yes, like Armando said, on the other hand if this was the other way around with women you better believe the feminists would be having the government pay for their transplants lol. I have no doubt they would be taking hair from men at that point xD

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well obviously women have had no problems mating with bald men generation after generation, otherwise those genes would have washed out a long time ago, so in a purely biological sense it is hard to argue that it is a disease.

And yes, like Armando said, on the other hand if this was the other way around with women you better believe the feminists would be having the government pay for their transplants lol. I have no doubt they would be taking hair from men at that point xD
I think the idea is that we boycott these threads from now on, Norwoody. I have tried and tried and many others have as well. It only encourages more of these threads where the people seem to be seeking male humiliation about hair loss unlike normal people who go to SPH sites, sigh. And normally I love quip threads but we aren't helping this guy and he is sucking up resources on the site with five different threads that are all the same question worded differently currently running.

I will send you a signed naked pic with an insult if you go play elsewhere no-gunnersup....