Why is balding still so prevelant

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
What I don't really understand is why people who are taking Finasteride or Dutaseride continue to get worse at a fast pace. Shouldn't it at the very least slow down hairloss considerably. Are the people who continue to lose hair at great speed the unlucky few, or are the studies wrong?

Also how many young guys out there do you reckon take finasteride or dutasteride for hairloss? Because everyday I see quite a few who are moderately bald to very bald. If they were on finasteride or dutasteride and the studies are correct I doubt they could have gotten so bald.

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
Speechless?

No one has an opinion?

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
AussieExperiment said:
What I don't really understand is why people who are taking Finasteride or Dutaseride continue to get worse at a fast pace. Shouldn't it at the very least slow down hairloss considerably. Are the people who continue to lose hair at great speed the unlucky few, or are the studies wrong?

Also how many young guys out there do you reckon take finasteride or dutasteride for hairloss? Because everyday I see quite a few who are moderately bald to very bald. If they were on finasteride or dutasteride and the studies are correct I doubt they could have gotten so bald.

Well finasteride dosnt work for everybody and some may start it very late like when they reach nw4. Also, not everybody cares about balding that much and some are just unaware of the treatments available for whatever reason.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
AussieExperiment said:
What I don't really understand is why people who are taking Finasteride or Dutaseride continue to get worse at a fast pace.

They don't generally. The few that do just shout a bit louder so they probably just stick in your mind.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I took it soon after first noticing loss of density, diffusely, and continue to use it though the rate of loss appears to have undoubtedly increased aggressively.

Coincidence or otherwise? No natter the case I try not to read into it too much.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UK78 said:
AussieExperiment said:
What I don't really understand is why people who are taking Finasteride or Dutaseride continue to get worse at a fast pace.

They don't generally. The few that do just shout a bit louder so they probably just stick in your mind.

Don't forget that people quit early. You need to wait 6 to 12 months for results, yet some people scream it made their hair fall out and quit a couple months in.

Seems like a lot of people quit by month 3. Man, thats way too early.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had asked my derm how many people go there for hair loss treatment and he told me that it was many, although only like 1/10 continued after month 4.

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't quit the finasteride, i have seen my best reults so far at 16 months. :)

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia sales

I read somewhere recently that there are approx 1 million people taking propecia each day in the Unites States. When you consider there are at least 70 million people suffering from somes degree of hairloss, this represents a very small percentage.

This kind of makes sense to me now. Obviously there just aren't many people taking the drug. I wouldn't be suprised if there were advertisements on TV educating people about propecia if that number would increase significantly.

One of the reasons I didn't get on treatments as early as I should have is I didn't realize propecia existed. I delayed seeking help as long as possible because I thought treatment would be expensive and painful. Whereas if caught early, one tablet may be all you need.

In conclusion, I think Merck should advertise propecia more in mainstream media. It would increase their sales and save alot of young guys needless pain.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
They did advertise it in the mainstream media for some time. I can remember seeing ads for some hairloss pill, and I believe it was propecia, when I was about 14 or 15 (I'm 18 now), and thought to myself that it might come in handy someday. Of course, there are no ads for it now. Advertising is a very costly business, and I think that the accquired sales may have reached a critical mass (thus advertisements have sloped off). If people are going to be willing to take a pill for their hairloss (which is an ostensibly cosmetic disease), then they're probably going to go to their derm who will alert them anyways.

But yeah, part of the reason is that our "cures" aren't really "cures," just delayers (let's be honest), and that a very small slice of the balding population is treating their hairloss.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Far Too Young said:
and that a very small slice of the balding population is treating their hairloss.

Tons of people wet their pants over the fact that propecia hasn't worked by month 2 and quit.

energie

Reaction score
Far Too Young said:
But yeah, part of the reason is that our "cures" aren't really "cures," just delayers (let's be honest), and that a very small slice of the balding population is treating their hairloss.

Is propecia intended to cure baldness, or just delay it, as you suggest? ie. if you're going bald and take propecia, will you end up bald a couple years down the road anyways (as opposed to being bald sooner)?

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia is good. Don't get me wrong. It can keep your hair counts elevated for some time, possibly augment them, or simply slow their dminishing. But eventually DHT will probably get the best of your follicles if you're young and vulnerable to hairloss. Jayman will probably follow up this post with a suggestion of rotating dutasteride and finasteride for treatment (as dutasteride limits both type 1 and type 2 alpha reductase, ergo more protection from dht). Dutasteride has more notable and present sides, though, and many opt out at that point. I would stray away from calling Propecia a cure. We'd be done looking, if it were.