Why I am here, and maybe why you are too.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
Why am I here? To many, the answer seems simple enough. "You are obviously here because you are losing your hair." While that may seem to be the logical answer, you need to look a little deeper to find the true answer.

Over the past few months, wasting hours upon hours studying various hairloss treatments, I have come to a conclusion. The main reason why I am here is not because of my hairloss, it is because of an underlying mental illness. "Are you crazy?" you may ask. No, I'm not crazy in the typical sense of the guy sitting next to you on the city bus, laughing and talking to himself for no apparent reason.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I have had problems with my mental health all my life. I've battled depression (undiagnosed) since I was in elementary school. I've never told anyone about it. Some years are better than others. However, no one would ever guess this about me. Everyone that I know thinks of me as goofy and living without a care in the world....and I like it that way.

I don't want people to feel sorry for me and I don't want anyone on here to feel sorry for me. The purpose of this post is for the rest of you to investigate yourselves. Is it really hairloss that has you feeling down, or is this just another bump in the road revealing an underlying problem? At first, I thought that hairloss caused my bad feelings, but looking back, I have had these feelings on and off all of my life.

Some questions to think about: Will getting your hair back make you truly happy? Or is it just a temporary high only to go back to the normal low?
As soon as our hair problems are fixed, are we going to start visiting sites that have information on treating wrinkles?

bubka

Reaction score
for some people i am sure that is the case, you see that with people constantly getting more plactic surgeries, excessive exercise... though i do think the majairty will stop when they regrow hair

though some get some regrowth, and just want more... hell i had decent regrowth, but want my 16 year old hairline back... but i really have not done anything extra for it...

s.a.f

Reaction score
This definatley strikes a chord with me and I realise that hairloss is'nt the only trouble I've had in my life.
Even with a full head of hair I wont be completly different as a person. I had a few bad setbacks during my youth that sent me from being the most confident, outgoing kid in the neighbourhood to a bit of a loner.
I always thought that after school I could regain my confidence as I knew that the old me was still there inside. But unfortunatly hairloss came along at 19 and over the years depresson and even more lack of confidence just seemed to spiral out of control.
Hairloss that has become a major obsession for me and I do consider it to be the most influentialy negative thing in my life. Now I've had hair transplant's and things have improved physically but the reality is now that I've missed out on the most important years of a mans life and I can never regain these defining experiences/memories.

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had some tough sh*t happen to me in my life, but I can say this now with all the truth in the world:

If I had a full head of hair, all my problems would go away just like that.

I can handle living in a screwed up family, because I know how to make the most of what I have.

I can handle working in a shitty job, because it's better then having no job.

I can handle being bisexual, because slowly i've learned to accept it as a normal thing and a part of who I am.

Hairloss, isn't as easy to handle. It's with me everywhere I go, in everything I do.

If I magically grew back all of my hair and it stayed that way, I would take over the world.

CCS

Reaction score
some may frown on people who get many different appearance enhancements, but the fact is if someone really has a lot of appearance flaws that can impact dating, then there is nothing wrong with fixing them. Now if someone puts off dating because they are saving up to have a freckle removed, or they spend 200 hours online searching for the best treatment for that small light freckle on their elbow, then I would agree they have issues.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nope. confidence has never been a problem once i grew out of my gawky 15 year old phase. happiness, never a problem. women, never a problem. charisma never a problem. Hair loss and fear of going bald- my only problem. I fix that and i am the same person i always was.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
ive always had a dodgy hairline and was paranoid about it,had my hair short til about 16 then grew it out,and was happy as can be,when my hair started thinning at about 21/22 i felt the same as i did back when it was short,it really is the only thing that affects my confidence or mental state. :hairy:

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f and speculum, your posts inspired me to go further into my past.

I know getting all of my hair back and keeping won't solve my problems, but I'd like to have it back. My hair is a part of me. My other male family members accepted it, but I won't for some reason. I just think I won't look good with a horseshoe or a shaved head, my head is too big. I feel with hair and a good body and personality and being a little sensitive, I can be what women want in a guy.

Most of the women I know say they don't even notice my hairloss because that's not what they look at in me.

I still get jealous taking a look at my hair and seeing other guys who have great heads of hair and will most likely never lose it.

I've been through a lot worse during my pre-teen and teenage years. Here's are the some of the things that happened (along with the good)

- I got assaulted when I was 13 by someone that I had a grudge with when no one looked and I was too scared to retaliate or even tell. It made me lift weights and take martial arts and he hasn't done anything since. I just wish I fought back so all of the hatred and evil thoughts would go away.

- I noticed my hairline receding the summer before sophomore year of high school and had the same hairline for 6 years until it's thinning now. It was embarassing people telling you you're balding. So I got in shape and I was still able to attract girls.

- My dad was sick with cancer and died in the beginning of my senior year. I went out of state for one semester, had a breakdown came back, got an Associate's then transferred to a private college. Changed majors and I was upset with myself for not doing better with college choices in my senior year.

I've been worse, but hair loss is a different problem for me.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I got my arse kicked (very publicly) when I was 15 and I thought I was fine the cuts and bruises healed in a few days but I did'nt realise until I got over the embarrasment of it that my self confidence had also been forever affected. It was the first thing that made me realise that physicly I was slighty sub standard compared to most guys. 4 years later m.p.b reared its ugly head and the rest is history.