Why even get on finasteride?

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
I agree we disagree: Now you'll have to accept I won't be suporting any of your claims pertaining to consuming 1.25mg of finasteride to save 30 bucks a month...

de Gaulle.

Of course I'll accept that and you're welcome to disagree with me on this issue. You'll also be butting heads with the countless doctors at Harvard and Hopkins that I've spoken to that have told me, according to their research and knowledge, that there should be problem taking 1.25 mg/day for four days and taking the fifth day off. One doctor even prescribes Proscar for his patients and instructs them to take half of it every two days.

Now doesn't that just give you a heart attack?!

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
[quote="drinkrum
You'll also be butting heads with the countless doctors at Harvard and Hopkins that I've spoken to that have told me, according to their research and knowledge, that there should be problem taking 1.25 mg/day for four days and taking the fifth day off.
D.[/quote]

If you're at Harvard, I'd be glad to meet in person! :wink:

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
[quote="drinkrum
You'll also be butting heads with the countless doctors at Harvard and Hopkins that I've spoken to that have told me, according to their research and knowledge, that there should be problem taking 1.25 mg/day for four days and taking the fifth day off.
D.

If you're at Harvard, I'd be glad to meet in person! :wink:

I was at Harvard last winter to see a reproductive endocrinologist there. I also met a dermatologist at Hopkins. Both of them gave me the same advice said above.

D.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow I can't believe my post has got so many replies and caused such heated discussion, I feel rather proud about that. I'm glad my worries have caught some people's eyes.
My big worry is, I'm thinning really bad on the right front side where i part my hair and have for like 10 yrs, its getting so thin its ont the side that is receed the most i can see my scalp thru the front of it and its getting bad, i cant help but think its cause of how i wear my hair. Its parted on that side and it goes to a few inches below my chin alot of times i pull that side behind my ear or wear it in a ponytail even i think im gonna have to cut it but i so dont want to cuz ive always wanted long hair and this is the longest i ever had it, i dont know if i should wait and see if proscar can help it or not or just cut it off now cause its getting really bad on this side and it's driving me crazy i thought about using minoxidil there but i know the hair that regrowed if any will depend on that forever and i know i wont wanna use it forever, when i style my hair it's not real noticeable it's thinning there but i'm worried everytime i part it and style it it's doing more damage to it.
Ive been really stressed and depressed since about May and I havent ate well and my sleep patterns suck, i cant sleep til like 6am and i get up around 2pm but i dont eat well at all and I know that plays a role but just the way it's thinning and where it's thinning I can't help but think my style or whatever and parting it there is causing that but a part is a normal way to wear long hair which is why i cant figure out why this is happening this way, it seems like thickening shampoos and blow drying my hair to get volume and stuff isn't even working now which is what caused my panic and get back on the finasteride, to be honest i don't care what the 1.25 mg does to me,if the higher dose might make it even a lil stronger to fix the hairline on the right side where it's bad then it's worth it.
I used to have such beautiful hair and seeing this happen to it is really doing a number on me mentally so as far as the debate about the extra .25 mg goes, if it helps me and reverses this then it's worth it, that's why I'm on the drug to begin with, to fix this problem, no matter what it takes, but I don't have much hope unfortunately. *sigh*

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm with drinkrum on this one...as I am sure the majority of other knowledgable people on this site are. There is no reason why taking 1.25mg for 4 days then a day off should cause any problems.

And by the way, that "comparison" of eating turkey was really quite lame :lol:

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Chris23 said:
Wow I can't believe my post has got so many replies and caused such heated discussion, I feel rather proud about that. I'm glad my worries have caught some people's eyes.
My big worry is, I'm thinning really bad on the right front side where i part my hair and have for like 10 yrs, its getting so thin its ont the side that is receed the most i can see my scalp thru the front of it and its getting bad, i cant help but think its cause of how i wear my hair. Its parted on that side and it goes to a few inches below my chin alot of times i pull that side behind my ear or wear it in a ponytail even i think im gonna have to cut it but i so dont want to cuz ive always wanted long hair and this is the longest i ever had it, i dont know if i should wait and see if proscar can help it or not or just cut it off now cause its getting really bad on this side and it's driving me crazy i thought about using minoxidil there but i know the hair that regrowed if any will depend on that forever and i know i wont wanna use it forever, when i style my hair it's not real noticeable it's thinning there but i'm worried everytime i part it and style it it's doing more damage to it.
Ive been really stressed and depressed since about May and I havent ate well and my sleep patterns suck, i cant sleep til like 6am and i get up around 2pm but i dont eat well at all and I know that plays a role but just the way it's thinning and where it's thinning I can't help but think my style or whatever and parting it there is causing that but a part is a normal way to wear long hair which is why i cant figure out why this is happening this way, it seems like thickening shampoos and blow drying my hair to get volume and stuff isn't even working now which is what caused my panic and get back on the finasteride, to be honest i don't care what the 1.25 mg does to me,if the higher dose might make it even a lil stronger to fix the hairline on the right side where it's bad then it's worth it.
I used to have such beautiful hair and seeing this happen to it is really doing a number on me mentally so as far as the debate about the extra .25 mg goes, if it helps me and reverses this then it's worth it, that's why I'm on the drug to begin with, to fix this problem, no matter what it takes, but I don't have much hope unfortunately. *sigh*

Hey Chris,

the way you part your hair will not cause/influence your hairloss in any way. It's very common that one side of your head is worse when you have male pattern baldness. If you would ask here, most would probably confirm (mine's worse on the right - so is my dad's loss). So don't worry about your hairstyle causing/aggravating hairloss, unless you are using aggressive products like certain hairdyes etc ....

Give Proscar time to work and try to be more positive in your thinking about it. If you look at the graph I posted, even the average results on Propecia are really good. And there's always the chance your results will be even better, specially since your hairloss is not very advanced. You won't know unless you give it at least 9 - 12 months before passing judgement. If you're not satisfied then, it's time to add other things.

But ALWAYS remember the "placebo team" when you're feeling down on Finasteride, haraait??! :D

And maybe get some Nizoral 2%. Easy to use, only about 5$ a month. Can't hurt to use it and it is highly reccomended.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply I didnt really know what else to think though about the recession and thinning since it's right where I part it so I thought parting it for around 10 yrs there might've finally caught up with me. I really don't wanna cut my hair because I've been growing it for like a year and a half and it's the longest it's ever been and even though it's starting to look thin and losing it's volume and fullness it had even a few mts. ago I really don't wanna cut cause I'm afarid if I do I'll never get it back, even though I'm only 24.
I'm really hoping Proscar works for me in this area in the front because it is really upsetting me seeing it get seemingly worse every week. I've been on Nizoral 1% for a few mts now and haven't really noticed much, when I started using it it gave me alot of body and fullness but that has seemed to disappear and it hasn't done that in awhile. It's weird because I swear I only lose like less then 15 strands when I wash it even before I got on the Proscar and I don't lose alot of hair really which is why I can't understand where it's all going and my lack of volume and body I don't know if its the loss of hair, or the bad diet or whatever or how long it is, I can't figure it out.
I guess that's why i started this post to begin with that if I sound down and negative about finasteride someone who excellent results would reply to it and ease my mind.
For instance, I read another post not long ago about how someone 6 mts into finasteride has worse hair now then they did before they started it, just things like that worry me alot I guess but the replies to my post has helped me some.
I'm thinking of maybe adding Revivogen and Nizoral 2% with the finasteride, hopefully those will help where I'm having my probs, thanks again all for your informative replies to my post.

oni

Reaction score
When you take finasteride, you have to be in it for the long term.

I have been on it for 4mths and i have been shedding for 6 weeks and my hair looks alot worse than it did but you just have to give the drug time.

Just hang in!

Pazzna

Reaction score
Chris23 said:
Wow I

i had a friend who had long hair and he found wearing a hair band caused him to lose hair at the front of his hairlline, because of the constant tension of the hair pulling at it. this won't help with most of your compmaint, but...

also I use a hair thickening conditioner called ORIGINAL MINT SOURCE TEA TREE & MINT VOLUMISING, that is free of the awful sodium laureth sulphate. (note that the shampoo in the same brand does contain S.L.S. tho) I don't know how it compares to what you guys all use, but it's helped me a fair bit. It's a UK thing though.... where are you?

http://www.originalsource.co.uk

P.