Why even get on finasteride?

drinkrum

Reaction score
Chris23 said:
Yeah that's true bout the can't really say about long term effects because it hasn't been around that long, was hoping I'd find someone on here who's been on it about 5 yrs or so with good results to give me some inspiration I guess.
I was doing some searching just now and found this, but I've never heard of it before-
http://www.compmed-ltd.co.uk/bio-arcon/index_us.htm
Anyone had decent results with Revivogen?

I've been using finasteride for 4+ years. If I hadn't started it when I was 18 like I did, I would be bald as a cue ball.

D.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
I started on Proscar a few days ago I'm getting 1.25 mg of it , my Doctor told me to do 4 days on enough for me to finish one pill and take one day off, today is my one day off in one of the other posts i read about how someone is having bad results with it, my Doctor said he would do some research on it before he prescribed it to me and if he thought it would do me harm in anyway he wouldnt prescribe it which he did a few hrs later so I didnt think twice about it until i read that post a few min ago, is this something I should worry about? Has anyone had bad reactions to the 1.25 mg of proscar?

de Gaulle

Reaction score
Chris23 said:
is this something I should worry about? Has anyone had bad reactions to the 1.25 mg of proscar?

Chris,

Yes you should worry about taking 1.25mg of finasteride because you will have to increase your chances to experience side effects!

There must be at least as many people with side effects on Proscar as there are on Propecia: You are only increasing that chance by absorbing more finasteride.

Per an article previously posted on these boards, 0.20mg of finasteride would be sufficient to reduce DHT to levels needed to stop hairloss: you would be taking an extra 1mg of finasteride daily to only save 30 bucks a month?!

You should weight the pros and cons of taking 1.25mg of finasteride: how much money would you be saving every year versus how much time you would spend splitting pills in rough fourths and how much would you have to pay later if you really experienced bad side effects...

de Gaulle.

Pazzna

Reaction score
so there is a gradual tail off then?

i understand this is a new drug - but is the theory here that men continue to lose their hair even on propecia - but there is an initial burst of hair growth - and then a kind of very very slow descent in hair count as the DHT gets (naturally) worse?

does this mean that you would eventually end up bald; but maybe ten years after your contempories?

I know we're having to speculate here - what are the opinions

Pazzna

Reaction score
Chris23 said:
No, it's not that the person who started this post is thinking way too much about it, however if I'm going to put all the money and everything else into it for the next few yrs .....

yeah, come on guys -lets support Chris for raising a perfectly legit. question. the best thing about this site is that it is the most fantastic resource, and Chris's question has accordingly generated intelligent responses and even Research evidence!

so good on Chris for raising a question without which I wouldn't have learned what I did today!

:wink:

P.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
Pazzna said:
but is the theory here that men continue to lose their hair even on propecia - but there is an initial burst of hair growth - and then a kind of very very slow descent in hair count as the DHT gets (naturally) worse?

Pazzna,

People may continue to lose hair even on Propecia probably due to other factors than DHT... also, DHT still remains in small quantity, while on Propecia, so it does continue to affect hair growth.

I hope I will have my hair count stabilize even after 10 years as I don't expect my body to "adapt" to my absorbing finasteride and try to generate more Testosterone transforming into DHT...!

Based on Merck's research, I hope I can keep my hair for the rest of my life as long as I stay on Propecia!

de Gaulle.

Deaner

Reaction score
dude, de Gaulle, you're gonna need to chill with the scare posts, the whole "25% MORE finasteride, THAT'S TERRIBLE" crap.

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:
dude, de Gaulle, you're gonna need to chill with the scare posts, the whole "25% MORE finasteride, THAT'S TERRIBLE" crap.

I agree, you've just scared the sh*t out of a bunch of people I bet haha.

Now, Merck chose 1 mg as the optimal finasteride dosage weighing out effectiveness and side effects. If .20 mg was good enough for them to put out there, they would have done that. Now, .20 mg is still effective in fighting hair loss, and it is I don't disagree with that, but Merck decided that .80 mg more was necessary to maximize efficiency while keeping low side effects. So .25 mg more than their recommended dose won't kill anyone. Yes it will increase chances for more severe side effects but only marginally, the .25 mg more finasteride won't make someones hair burst into flames. I'm not saying there is no reason for your concern, but your posts are going to scare people who don't know whats goin on.

- wizzle

de Gaulle

Reaction score
I didn't want to be perceived as a George W Bush trying to scare its people regarding terrorism in order to win votes... however, I believe that increasing the dosage of Finasteride can only increase chances for side effects.

I find ridiculous to play with our health for the sake of saving 30 bucks a month, that's all.

0.25 mg above 1 mg is 25% more Finasteride absorbed: it is a LARGE amount on a daily basis: if that's a scary fact to you, well maybe that is not worse than inheriting nasty side effects due to chopping Proscar's pills.

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
I didn't want to be perceived as a George W Bush trying to scare its people regarding terrorism in order to win votes... however, I believe that increasing the dosage of Finasteride can only increase chances for side effects.

I find ridiculous to play with our health for the sake of saving 30 bucks a month, that's all.

0.25 mg above 1 mg is 25% more Finasteride absorbed: it is a LARGE amount on a daily basis: if that's a scary fact to you, well maybe that is not worse than inheriting nasty side effects due to chopping Proscar's pills.

de Gaulle.

De Gaulle,

Chris's doctor is recommending that he take 1.25 mg/day for four days and nothing on the fifth day. That amounts to an effective dose of 1 mg/day. So, Chris, I would heed your doctor's advice.

Or if you're really paranoid, cut the pill into fifths (cut off the thin part of the pill so you're left with square-ish trapezoid and then cut the that into fourths).

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Chris's doctor is recommending that he take 1.25 mg/day for four days and nothing on the fifth day. That amounts to an effective dose of 1 mg/day. So, Chris, I would heed your doctor's advice.

Or if you're really paranoid, cut the pill into fifths (cut off the thin part of the pill so you're left with square-ish trapezoid and then cut the that into fourths).

D.

drinkrum,

Would you eat a whole turkey in one dinner or eat one turkey thoughout a whole week? Which option do you think is the healthiest?

I guess we can think about Finasteride in the same manner.

And by the way, it is better to spread consumption of food troughout the day if one wants to maintain a nice silhouette!

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
drinkrum said:

D.

drinkrum,

Would you eat a whole turkey in one dinner or eat one turkey thoughout a whole week? Which option do you think is the healthiest?

I guess we can think about Finasteride in the same manner.

And by the way, it is better to spread consumption of food troughout the day if one wants to maintain a nice silhouette!

de Gaulle.

Finasteride is not turkey. It still exerts DHT inhibition for four days after a single dose. Eating turkey does not; your appetite comes back the next morning.

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
Yet spreading your consumption of finasteride evenly throughout 5 days is still better than taking 1.25 mg of finasteride for 4 days and nothing on the fifth... same as turkey!

drinkrum

Reaction score
Do you have any research to back up your claim? Until you do, please keep quiet about this subject.

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
It just makes sense!! Think about the turkey exemple... doesn't it make sense too? Do you really need a "scientific" study telling you that consuming Finasteride on an irregular basis is better than on a regular basis?

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
It just makes sense!! Think about the turkey exemple... doesn't it make sense too? Do you really need a "scientific" study telling you that consuming Finasteride on an irregular basis is better than on a regular basis?

Jesus man. I never said consuming it on an irregular basis. Taking it every four days and going off one day and continuing this for a year is not irregular; it is a pattern just like taking it everyday.

I understand why you might be thinking the way you do. But finasteride exerts DHT inhibition for several days following a single dose so it still works if you miss a day, etc. Still, Merck decided on the 1 mg/day dose for good reasons, and I agree with you that it is ideally the best. However, Propecia is very expensive compared to split-Proscar and the cost-savings simply justify splitting the pill and taking a small variation in dosage.

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
drinkrum said:

drinkrum,

You recommended previously that someone could take 1.25 mg/day for 4 days and nothing on the 5th day... that is an uneven consumption.

It is better to consume 1 mg of finasteride on a daily basis using Propecia than 25% extra finasteride for 4 days and then skip one dosage... which we now seem to agree on.

Now, the matter seems to be related to money... I'd rather recommend people to find a way to make an extra 30 bucks a month and use a deacent treatment to fight hairloss than expose themselves to the risk of nasty side effects.

Just my two cents.

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
It may be uneven but it is not irregular. We'll have to agree to disagree about the cost-benefit of splitting Proscar versus using Propecia.

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
I agree we disagree: Now you'll have to accept I won't be suporting any of your claims pertaining to consuming 1.25mg of finasteride to save 30 bucks a month...

de Gaulle.