Why Doesn't Everyone Just Opt For An Fue hair transplant And Be Done With It?

Heat06

Established Member
Reaction score
I am honestly very curious why so many people that are balding just don't opt for a FUE hair transplant and be done with it. Is money the biggest factor behind not doing it for you all?

I've tried every supplement and treatment out there and I have come to realize at best I can only slow down this disease. With no accurate timetable on anything that can remotely be cosmetically appealing to treat this disease, I'm left seriously considering an FUE for the first time since I noticed my hair thinning. But I ask myself why haven't other's done this and just move on with their life.

What stops YOU from getting an FUE? Scarring looks minimal and undetectable with a solid doctor and results look more natural than ever. Is it cost? Scarring? Other people knowing you got work done? What the hell is stopping you all, what the hell is stopping me? I'm genuinely curious. Time is not my best friend when it comes to balding and it's time to make a more serious decision on a more permanent solution.

Curious on thoughts. My rant is done...long day.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1.) Cost being the biggest one, People don't have $10,000 to throw at this thing.
2.) Donor area thickness.
3.) Finding a reputable hair surgeon that wont f your sh*t up (means travelling which means adding to that procedure total, see #1)
4.) Getting close to your final pattern is recommended because if you keep losing after the FUE, you'll be left with an island patch of awesome hair in the front and nothing behind it.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like Norwood One said "1 and 3"
1.) Cost being the biggest one, People don't have $10,000 to throw at this thing.
3.) Finding a reputable hair surgeon that wont f your sh*t up (means travelling which means adding to that procedure total, see #1)

besides that i will add my point

2.) If i was NW2.5 without regimen and now with Regimen NW1. Where it cost me less than 20$ per month. Its nonsense to go for hair transplant.

Heat06

Established Member
Reaction score
2.) Donor area thickness.
4.) Getting close to your final pattern is recommended because if you keep losing after the FUE, you'll be left with an island patch of awesome hair in the front and nothing behind it.

I figured cost was for most people. For me, cost is not the problem. I have the money and have had it for a while (been saving). I've just been terrified of scarring.

I'm like a NW2.5-NW3 with hairline recession and some diffuse thinning on top of scalp and crown area. I can get by most days without others noticing I'm thinning, but forget about it if I go anywhere near a body of water or decide to swim. I hate the feeling and I hate living this way. All my buddies can dive into a pool and come up pushing their hair back? Me? lol!!!

I'm a perfectionist as well, which is why I think I've waited this long. However, to wait until my final balding state is revealed seems extremely foolish. I'm 30 years old and don't want to be 40 before I realize I'm a NW5 and want to do something about it..What logic does that make?

I want to enjoy my now early thirties. There is no guarantee that what's in pipeline is even released by 2020. It's all projection/hope. Hope won't regrow my hairline.

I hope others post on their reasoning for not doing a hair transplant because cost aside I would love to hear any drawbacks outside of this because I'm not waiting until 2020 with my fingers crossed hoping something is released in Japan...

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also hoping to do an FUE, within the year if possible. I'm not waiting around for treatments that MIGHT be ready in 5 years, not to mention the question of how long mass availability will become possible even when these treatments are ready. Hair loss is causing too much of an imposition on my day to day life for me not to do something about it very soon...I'm often unproductive because I spend so much time thinking about it, I feel stressed whenever I look in the mirror, sometimes I exclude myself from social situations because of it...Life, and youth, are too short for me to continue like this if I don't have to.

It's doubtful I'll have all the money for the procedure, but fortunately I have a very high limit on my credit card, so I'll likely be using that. I don't care if it takes me years to pay it off. People go $30,000+ in debt to buy cars they will only own for a few years...imo, $10,000-$15,000 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes with being comfortable with how you look.

Heat06

Established Member
Reaction score
I am also hoping to do an FUE, within the year if possible. I'm not waiting around for treatments that MIGHT be ready in 5 years, not to mention the question of how long mass availability will become possible even when these treatments are ready. Hair loss is causing too much of an imposition on my day to day life for me not to do something about it very soon...I'm often unproductive because I spend so much time thinking about it, I feel stressed whenever I look in the mirror, sometimes I exclude myself from social situations because of it...Life, and youth, are too short for me to continue like this if I don't have to.

It's doubtful I'll have all the money for the procedure, but fortunately I have a very high limit on my credit card, so I'll likely be using that. I don't care if it takes me years to pay it off. People go $30,000+ in debt to buy cars they will only own for a few years...imo, $10,000-$15,000 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes with being comfortable with how you look.

I agree 100% with this. 100%! My honest only concern after thinking about this seriously lately is concealing this from others, specifically those I work with. I can't take really more than 2 weeks off of work and with that amount of time, most certainly others will notice something has been done.

I work in a professional setting so a cap is not an option. I guess I have to come to terms with this and accept that I will not be able to hide this from co-workers. It's the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger, although I anticipate getting over that obstacle and just dealing with it in order to be happy.

I'll figure it out, but I appreciate the feedback from others on what crosses their mind when it comes to this.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree 100% with this. 100%! My honest only concern after thinking about this seriously lately is concealing this from others, specifically those I work with. I can't take really more than 2 weeks off of work and with that amount of time, most certainly others will notice something has been done.

I work in a professional setting so a cap is not an option. I guess I have to come to terms with this and accept that I will not be able to hide this from co-workers. It's the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger, although I anticipate getting over that obstacle and just dealing with it in order to be happy.

I'll figure it out, but I appreciate the feedback from others on what crosses their mind when it comes to this.

I am also wondering how I am going to conceal it.

Honestly though, I'd rather get the procedure done and have people find out about it, than not get it done at all. Obviously it would be ideal to keep it on the down low, but it's still worth it to me regardless.

2 weeks might be time for enough healing for weirdness to go away though, if you get the procedure done at the beginning of the two weeks, maybe...? You need some feedback from people who have gotten the procedure.

tooldude

Reaction score
I don't want to spend 10-20k and have my hair look worse than it would in its natural state, which many men that had transplants experience.

Why not just wear a wig/toupee that you never take off and be done with it?

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it possible to determine your final hairloss pattern before you actually reach it?

I thought hair mapping was a thing? They check your hair for where is and isn't miniaturising and from that they can determine your final hairloss pattern?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't want to spend 10-20k and have my hair look worse than it would in its natural state, which many men that had transplants experience.

Why not just wear a wig/toupee that you never take off and be done with it?

Do plenty of research on your surgeon, including the positive experiences many on this forum have had with transplants. Should hopefully help you avoid a poor transplant result.

As far as wearing a wig...I'm looking for a solution that will make hair loss NOT impose on my day to day life and the things I do and enjoy doing...which include riding a motorcycle and martial arts, both of which I'd have to pretty much cut out of my life. Not to mention, that dude shookwun is always preaching how poorly wigs work for low norwoods

resu

Reaction score
My hair loss is diffused, I'm poor and being from Europe I don't want to travel to countries full of Islamists to get an hair transplant. I would be happy with a treatment that gave me 2000 new hairs and slowed down the hair loss to a crawl.

shookwun

Reaction score
No point waiting. Time is precious, We buy time in return value to our-self esteem, and how we feeel about ourselves.

I know I will never have an amazing head of hair, especially under sunlight. But in most other lighting conditions I look like I have a a full head of hair again, and have have avoided the stigma behind hairloss, and being scrutinized for it. I have spent around 14,000 on two transplants, and Its no different then someone buying a brand new truck for 40,000. I just lower my standards now and cost of living. I now drive a 800 vehicle all paid off, and have paid for my transplant up front. I owe nobody anything..... and have invested in my career, women, and ultimately my own self-esteem. An emotional investment....

I might get 10 years, maybe more, or even less. IS 1500 annually that much over the course span of 10 years? Not rele. Its a big investment upfront, but in the long run if you medicate, and get further transplants you can bald gracefully. I will never have a sparse island. Worst case scenario I will slowly deplete my donor down to the hair and have a evenly distributed pattern all over. if I have to shave as a worse case scenario, my hair loss will look linear, and even full under the right lightning. it's all about strategically planning, however certain elements to our generics can create obstacles. Speaking of donor, I want to these follicles as much as I can... and FUE is the best way in order to achieve this. It's way to thick in comparison to the top, and can create a horse shoe look if not cut, and maintained right.

If you cannot willingly commit to a transplant, and understand that you will need another, and perhaps another in the future then a transplant is not a good option for you. If you don't have a steady work/career and make reasonable income then you simply are not a good candidate.

it definitely is addicting the feeling behind improving, and upgrading your aesthetics. My second transplant involving the construction of temple points, reinforcing the sides, and providing me with more temple angle closure has made another significant increase in my aesthetics. Hair greed as they call it within the transplant industry.

I am comfortable with the position i am in currently, but in the future I can see myself doing a mega procedure of 3000 grafts FUE all over my entire scalp for density.

g.i joey

Reaction score
My dad was nw5 by 24, doesn't this not make me eligible for a transplant considering I'm 23 and somewhere between nw2-3 and diffuse?

I always thought that for aggressive male pattern baldness a transplant wasn't really an option

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm i
My dad was nw5 by 24, doesn't this not make me eligible for a transplant considering I'm 23 and somewhere between nw2-3 and diffuse?

I always thought that for aggressive male pattern baldness a transplant wasn't really an option

I'm in the same boat dude but the way I see it is that if you aggressively bald early you might reach your final Norwood early.

Then you can do one fairly big hair transplant if you want one and it's pretty much done from there.

I just hope the doctor doesn't say you have to take Propecia after a hair transplant.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's the other thing I forgot to mention with hair transplant's.

Most surgeons will put you on finasteride to try and keep your gains. If you're prone to those side effects, another thing that'll throw a wrench in your plans.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Since finasteride and hair transplants almost always go together, the logical progression should be

Minoxidil + Finasteride -> No results or even if you did have results you want spectacular hair? -> Get hair transplant. Keep on finasteride, become Norwood-0. Slay in the dating game/life.

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since finasteride and hair transplants almost always go together, the logical progression should be

Minoxidil + Finasteride -> No results or even if you did have results you want spectacular hair? -> Get hair transplant. Keep on finasteride, become Norwood-0. Slay in the dating game/life.

Well I can't use finasteride or minoxidil (sides surprise surprise) but surely if you reach your final Norwood early in life (mid-late twenties seems to be where I can guess mine will be completely gone) you can just get an FUE to cover the rest of the head, cover your final Norwood and then be done with it safe that you won't lose much or anymore?

Saying that if Replicel or Tsuji pull through I'll just splash the cash, clone the sh*t outta that hair and then be done with it.

Also I don't think you are completely out the dating game even when bald. Every single person on this board seems to assume that but every person on here has more than just hair that is appealing.

Heat06

Established Member
Reaction score

I agree 100% with this logic. It's why I pose this hair transplant question to everyone. I am on and have taken minoxidil and finasteride. I currently take 0.25mg of finasteride twice per day and apply minoxidil once per day in the AM. I can't tolerate any more than 0.50mg of finasteride daily. I tried 1mg a day for a year and the sides were brutal. 0.5mg seems to be my absolute threshold to only have "tolerable" sides vs. extreme "intolerable" sides.

Saying that, it's why I'm seriously exploring an FUE at this point. I want to be a NW0, but I understand that may never happen. I just want to go down to a NW1 at least from the NW2-3 I am now.

Heat06

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair loss is diffused, I'm poor and being from Europe I don't want to travel to countries full of Islamists to get an hair transplant. I would be happy with a treatment that gave me 2000 new hairs and slowed down the hair loss to a crawl.

Not sure if you're joking, but the Islamist issue has really stopped me from taking action. The doctor I'm eyeing for an FUE is located in Belgium (Dr. Feriduni). However, right when I started the process, Belgium was attacked by terrorists. It's like the hair gods are telling me I am sh** out of lucK and to accept my fate.

Also, 2000 new hairs? With what treatment? Nothing is going to provide that outside of a hair transplant. Hoping that changes in 5 years is ridiculously wishful thinking. I'm tired of waiting. Waiting isn't solving this problem of mine nor is it solving yours. Like I said, money isn't my problem, however, time and my hairline is my problem. By the time something arrives of substance I may regret not having taken action while I was "young."

I don't want an FUE done in the US. I'm afraid of getting butchered...from all the research I've done, outside the US is where I need to go to find an excellent FUE surgeon.

Last edited: