Why does the colour on a hair system fade faster than the colour on bio hair?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was wondering, what is it about hair systems that makes their colour fade faster than bio hair (with expose to sunlight, bright lights etc) ? I know colour (whether natural or dyed) on bio hair CAN fade in sunlight, but it doesn't seem to fade as fast as that on a hair system. Since hair on hair systems IS human hair (unless you choose synthetic hair, that is), why is this?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was wondering, what is it about hair systems that makes their colour fade faster than bio hair (with expose to sunlight, bright lights etc) ? I know colour (whether natural or dyed) on bio hair CAN fade in sunlight, but it doesn't seem to fade as fast as that on a hair system. Since hair on hair systems IS human hair (unless you choose synthetic hair, that is), why is this?
Natural hair has a cuticle. The dye is trapped/ protected by it. System hair has the cuticle stripped during processing with acid.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Natural hair has a cuticle. The dye is trapped/ protected by it. System hair has the cuticle stripped during processing with acid.

Oh I see. Is that why hair system hair dries out faster too? (That, and the fact that natural oil from the scalp doesn't get into it?)

JonathanHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep and since most hair is from China or India, it is black so it goes through further processing if you're dyeing to a completely different color which is why brunette or brown hair can fade much quicker.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh I see. Is that why hair system hair dries out faster too? (That, and the fact that natural oil from the scalp doesn't get into it?)
Yes, nothing protecting the hair, or keeping moisture in.

You could get unprocessed European hair; however, I just received a color ring and they all have heavy red undertones.....so no go for me :(

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You could get unprocessed European hair; however, I just received a color ring and they all have heavy red undertones.....so no go for me :(
Same here. I like the quality and softness of European hair but Black with Red tone is a big no no. If I was younger, I would go with it, but definitely not now :rolleyes:

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

How come European hair has heavy red undertones? I've never tried it - is it not possible to get a wide range of colours? I go for medium brown (usually #5 on the colour chart, but I've tried #6 also), but it's always been with Indian/Remy hair.

duce

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone talks about European hair everywhere but I have never seen or heard a company that actually sells it... Do you know one?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone talks about European hair everywhere but I have never seen or heard a company that actually sells it... Do you know one?
LaVivid has stock European....Most all companies can atleast do custom, with European....

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because you are not looking in the right place. And it's probably at a price that no one (at least on this board) is willing to pay. COVID-19 has disrupted hair supply (sick/dead people don't sell/donate hair).

It is available, just at an increased price.