Why Does Nizoral Turn My Hair to Sh*T?

Blessed99

Reaction score
Am I the only one that experiences this? My hair could look decent and then I decide to use Nizoral one time and then it becomes super thin and then my scalp starts to peel. This happens every time, I don't know why I continue to give it another chance.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mine has been fkced off it for almost a year now. Used it with no relation to male pattern baldness, did not realise it was for hair loss. Yes, silly I know. Just warning you, not scare-mongering. It was my own stupid fault for leaving it on too long I believe. But my hair is literally fcked. Thank goodness for toppik and keeping my hair super short.

hmm

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that experiences this? My hair could look decent and then I decide to use Nizoral one time and then it becomes super thin and then my scalp starts to peel. This happens every time, I don't know why I continue to give it another chance.

Yeah me too, makes my scalp irrated and even burn. I would stubbornly try it again every now and then because it's in the "big 3" with same result. I don't have psoriasis, for which I've heard it works miracles, so it's probably overkill and have given it up.

Head and shoulders and Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo help keep my scalp happy. Everyone is different and it sometimes takes trying out lots of shampoos to find one that works.

Massaging the shampoo gently into my scalp with my fingers and rinsing well has been the most helpful thing for me. Before I would be so afraid to touch my hair in the shower for fear of loosing more. I would just lather and rinse without properly clearing the dirt, oil, and dead skin which would leave my scalp and hair even worse off.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Shampoos and how we react to them is very much a personal thing based on individual sensitivities, some people like Head and Shoulders shampoo for example whereas I think it's rubbish, made my hair look like straw the one time I was forced to use it on a school trip.

Try using a moisturising conditioner after using Nizoral, I noticed this completely ameliorated the drying effect that ketoconazole shampoos can have on your hair and keep in mind I'm using the 2% formulation which is said to be more drying. I use Tresemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner. My hair and scalp looks and feels no different on the Nizoral days than on the off days, if anything it feels rejuvenated and fresh right after shampooing with Nizoral!

Oh and while this may be a no brainer, don't leave the Nizoral on your scalp for the duration of the shower like some people tell you to do, that's not how it was designed to be used and that is not what the instructions on the package insert say in terms of proper usage, use it like this:

Apply a palm sized amount of Nizoral to your scalp and massage it in. Leave it in for 5 minutes and then rinse it out

Apply a moisturising conditioner and be sure to leave that in for 2-3 minutes. Rinse that out.

Hope that helps!

Blessed99

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I honestly blame Nizoral for some of my hairloss. My hair is so thin nowadays, it's very depressing. Nizoral really brought my hair to sh*t and even my scalp looks terrible. So much for being a $20 shampoo.

testingit

Reaction score
I've been using 1% for a few months, at first every other day almost now only about once per week. I've noticed some shedding increase which if it is caused by Nizoral then maybe it's doing something since shed can happen with new regimen. Otherwise maybe not. Haven't had my scalp peel or become painful in any way but do notice an itch sometimes.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I honestly blame Nizoral for some of my hairloss. My hair is so thin nowadays, it's very depressing. Nizoral really brought my hair to sh*t and even my scalp looks terrible. So much for being a $20 shampoo.
The hair itself is dead anyway. It can fall out so there is no permanent damage anyway. Nizoral doesn't damage the hair follicules so it doesn't cause baldness.

I use a conditioner after Nizoral and it's much better.