Why does it have to cost so Much?

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It really pisses me off that insurance will cover most mental health care yet when it comes to hair transplants its written off as elective. Society has set up a systemic shaming for those not having thick NW1's, and yet we are denied the possible therapeutic compensation. We are covered for anti-depressants, why not transplants? Anyways, I had to get this off my chest. I have decided to go ahead with a hair transplant, but now need the money. I'm sure everyone can relate to the frustration

shookwun

Reaction score
Not realy that expensive when you factor in how it much of a chip if it takes off your shoulder.

it's a career, and emotional investment in my honest opinion. I would do it all over.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair transplants are inordinately expensive when compared to other cosmetic surgery like rhinoplasty (noses), breast augmentation, blepharoplasty (eyelids), etc.

It's not unusual for patients to spend over $100,000 on hair transplant surgery, especially if they need corrective surgery to fix problems caused by other doctors. No other type of cosmetic surgery costs nearly as much, while offering only limited success for most patients, IMO.

shookwun

Reaction score
2-3 surgeries is what most people can expect going through their transplant career.

First one to cover most initial damage

Second to reinforce and add density

Third to add density, and transplant additional balding areas

If unlucky even a fourth?

David Leung

Reaction score
It's considered cosmetic while mental health is a real medical condition.. But I'm with u, that'll be great if it's covered by insurance

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I hate to say this but it is also a business. As far as I know, no insurance plan will cover hair transplant (and likely never will) so there is no government oversight on the market. Surgeons will charge what the market will bear. Also true of face lifts, non-cancer related breast augmentation, tummy tucks, liposuction, etc in most places.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair loss is considered a trait (like freckles, eye color, height) and not a disease. I do agree that hair loss totally sucks. But when guys talk about hair loss ruining their whole life (like it's cancer) they are just adding to their own anguish. And it makes it more likely that they will do something drastic (like make a rash hair transplant decision) when they don't need to.