Why Do Statistics Lie About Percentage Of People Dealing With Hairloss?

Percentage of men that you know/see who are actually showing signs of balding

• <5%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-10%

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • >30%

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

twoodMM

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going bald and shaved recently. It for sure is NOT the best thing that ever happend to me lol, but I am okay with a shaved head. Would like to grow hair if I could, but I am accepting this slowly.
Now what I really don't understand is, why the statistics lie so bad. It says that nearly 50% of men in my country are going bald at some point, often around 30, but that may be the biggest lie I ever heard of. After I shaved my head I went to the city (we have a population of roughly 400k) and really paid attention to how many guys are showing signs of balding. And I was shocked to see that out of all people I saw that day, maybe 5 were balding and they were way above 50 years old. Thats lower than 1% of ppl I saw. And I was in a restaurant, looked into the cars, walked through the city - everywhere only guys with a FULL head of hair, not even NW0.05. Now I am curious why the statistics lie about the percentage of man that are going bald.

Even if I assume that some of them take finasteride and minoxidil, some had a hair transplant, and some wore a hair piece, still the amount of men with hairloss was way under 5-10%. Thats insane.
So I thought maybe my city is a unique place where nobody is going bald (except me lol). But then I watched soccer and noticed the same again. How many professional soccer players do you know that are going bald? 10, maybe 20? Out of all teams and games that I watch, I very very very rarely see a bald man (most professional football players are 18-35). So again: 50% of them are dealing with hairloss? Huge lie!
I do watch NFL, NBa and NFL now and then. Aaaand again: out of all these athletes maybe 5-10% have a bald head. Same with baseball players, actors, famous youtubers and the list goes on and on!

Then I thought: since the athletes go to the gym on a regular basis and eat healthy and clean, maybe they don't have to deal with hairloss as often. But it's the exact same thing within my circle of friends and acquaintances. Out of all people I went to highschool with, or went to school, or to kindergarden or all females that have boyfriends maybe 5 are bald MAX!!! Within my 28 years of living I assume I got to know 500 people AT LEAST BY SIGHT. So that are even less than 1%!!!!!!

So are those statistics made by monkeys or why are they lying in such a huge fashion?
Anyone else noticed this?

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think as balding guys, we notice EVERYONE with good hair. Makes it feel like everyone has good hair, when in reality most are thinning or losing to varying degrees.

GotMyHairBack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I disagree. I posted a comment about this here https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ld-at-a-younger-age.19041/page-2#post-1620393 with statistics of over 40% in Czech Republic, Germany and Spain, close to 40% Italy, US, UK, Netherlands and I added my own observations. In fact, I indeed noticed huge amount of males with hair loss problems. The statistics aren't wrong here. And maybe with the % of men that are on Finasteride, wear hair pieces or mask baldness with spray-on hair or hats and such..it may as well be the truth that the percentage is around 50%. As for soccer, have you ever watched some world cup games or soccer matches in European leagues? Except for some teams from Norway, I notice almost nothing else but balding or bald men with beards and tattoos.

Recently I was wondering how soccer player Freddie Ljungberg was doing, and was surprised he now looks like this aged 42.
skysports-freddie-ljungberg_4334039.jpg

Last edited:

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's probably more men than you think who are balding. Many are NW1/NW1.5 — you probably wouldn't pick up on these that easily. Early recession can easily be covered over convincingly.

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I disagree. I posted a comment about this here https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ld-at-a-younger-age.19041/page-2#post-1620393 with statistics of over 40% in Czech Republic, Germany and Spain, close to 40% Italy, US, UK, Netherlands and I added my own observations. In fact, I indeed noticed huge amount of males with hair loss problems. The statistics aren't wrong here. And maybe with the % of men that are on Finasteride, wear hair pieces or mask baldness with spray-on hair or hats and such..it may as well be the truth that the percentage is around 50%. As for soccer, have you ever watched some world cup games or soccer matches in European leagues? Except for some teams from Norway, I notice almost nothing else but balding or bald men with beards and tattoos.

Recently I was wondering how soccer player Freddie Ljungberg was doing, and was surprised he now looks like this aged 42.
View attachment 126630

Remember him looking like a model for years doing underwear ads. How the mighty have fallen.