Why Do People Say That Caffeine Inhibits Minoxidil Action?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never heard this about caffeine impeding minoxidil, what's the basis for those claims?

This is interesting, because I've seen in vitro studies that showed that caffeine helps but only if greatly diluted (0.005) and that if you go with higher concentrations it actually has a negative effect.

These were done by a manufacturer of anti hairloss products who then went on to put out a product with 2% caffeine. I actually emailed them about it and months later got the response that, yes, you need 0.005 AT THE FOLLICLE, but since this is applied topically and needs to get through the skin you need a higher concentration.

How they know that what you get at the follicle is not too high a concentration, I didn't ask.

But this seems to suggest 2.5% is ok.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never heard this about caffeine impeding minoxidil, what's the basis for those claims?

This is interesting, because I've seen in vitro studies that showed that caffeine helps but only if greatly diluted (0.005) and that if you go with higher concentrations it actually has a negative effect.

These were done by a manufacturer of anti hairloss products who then went on to put out a product with 2% caffeine. I actually emailed them about it and months later got the response that, yes, you need 0.005 AT THE FOLLICLE, but since this is applied topically and needs to get through the skin you need a higher concentration.

How they know that what you get at the follicle is not too high a concentration, I didn't ask.

But this seems to suggest 2.5% is ok.
Can you DM me the name of the company? I was not aware there was a 2% product

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you DM me the name of the company? I was not aware there was a 2% product

I'll post it here.

Oh, hell, I screwed up, it's 0.2%, not 2%, but still, far higher than the concentration they found to be HARMFUL to hair growth in their own in vitro study.

The product in question is Alpecin Liquid by Dr. Kurt Wolf.

Here's a study comparing it to minxoidil. Bear in mind, it's an open label study and the product actually contains a lot of other stuff that's supposed to help with hair loss, not just caffeine.

https://www.karger.com/Article/PDF/481141

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea but some people said that if you apply both at the same time its going to be harmful

Where did they get that idea?

Oh, I just realized that the 2.5% in Sonictemples' study refers to the minoxidil concentration. The abstract doesn't state the caffeine concentration and the full study is in Persian or something. Unfortunate.

Last edited:

Hakandogan

Reaction score
Dude, caffeine works great with minoxidil. I say this by looking at the satisfaction of all my customers for whom I sell drugs.Caffeine ratio is 1%

jazz1

Reaction score
I use Alpecin liquid after shower feels amazing, than apply Minoxidil.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some effects of minoxidil are mediated through adenosine receptor and caffeine is working(but not in the hair but in the body, as a stimulant) by blocking adenosine receptor although I was researching it and probably we aren't getting enough caffeine concentration in skin to block adenosine receptor.