Why do people care so much about their sex drive?

ThatHairStruggle

Established Member
Reaction score
I could understand being upset if finasteride made you unable to get it up, but as long as things still work properly is it really the end of the world to have a reduced sex drive?
I notice every so often that I'm not as "able" as I was before starting finasteride but I don't think it's the end of the world, and I'd much rather have hair than anything else.
Maybe I'm just a weird dude though.

Donny J

Established Member
Reaction score
I could understand being upset if finasteride made you unable to get it up, but as long as things still work properly is it really the end of the world to have a reduced sex drive?
I notice every so often that I'm not as "able" as I was before starting finasteride but I don't think it's the end of the world, and I'd much rather have hair than anything else.
Maybe I'm just a weird dude though.

it all depends on how much of a sacrifice you're willing (or being asked) to make. for you and me, our sex drives lowered a bit, but we are/were still fully functional on the drug. I was comfortable with the slight decrease & so are you... for others, their drive decreases so much that they never even think about sex or wanting it. this can cause problems in relationships, social scenarios, self-esteem, confidence, etc... and then, as you mentioned, there's even the physical aspect of things where people have experiences ED, which, I think can go without a full explanation as to why this is important.

ThatHairStruggle

Established Member
Reaction score
Compare having sex as a zombie or with a high sex drive..

I guess things aren't too bad for me then. I don't feel like a zombie when I have sex, just don't have the need to get it on as often as I used to, which I'm fine with.

Travalanche

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a minor sex drive loss by maybe 25% and my orgasms are weaker by like 50% probably but that's a small price to pay when I rarely get laid. If I had a wife or steady girlfriend it would be a much bigger issue but I'm still able to get it up and last quite a while which is mostly what matters anyways.

wrwr

Reaction score
I worry about it. My sex drive is high, probably due to elevated DHT in bloodstream.
I lliterally need few weeks of having sex several times a day to get enough of it.
And i always put a lot of effort, try different things, fancy toys, new places.

It is one of reasons why it is not easy for me to find a girlfriend for a long time. Not many of them can\want to endure this. :)
But when i do - we're so happy ^^

That's why i did not even try to take finasteride. And especially i don't want to take it for the rest of my life.
Few pathetic hair are not worth the risk of losing so good trait. :)

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
It's that subconscious need to feel like nothing is going to change. People are creatures of habit, and we do not accept change very easily, especially when said something that could be changed is one of the few things in life that's made you feel really good since you first discovered how it worked a long, long time ago. Sex drive is also associated with youth and virility. Everybody wants to stay young, right? Men also have the subconscious desire to spread the seed, to keep the species going. It has been ingrained into our DNA for countless generations, and it's difficult for a lot of men to think about the possibility of their not being able to procreate because their penis could no longer work properly. Men think with their penises... we all know this. It's the main culprit as to why we get ourselves into all kinds of trouble, and yet it's also our best friend. These are just a couple of theories/explanations as to why men are worried about the potential hazards of finasteride. Some of them may seem illogical or dumb, but we're just worried about using our d*cks... and that's normal right?

californiaoceans911

Established Member
Reaction score
I worry about it. My sex drive is high, probably due to elevated DHT in bloodstream.
I lliterally need few weeks of having sex several times a day to get enough of it.
And i always put a lot of effort, try different things, fancy toys, new places.

It is one of reasons why it is not easy for me to find a girlfriend for a long time. Not many of them can\want to endure this. :)
But when i do - we're so happy ^^

That's why i did not even try to take finasteride. And especially i don't want to take it for the rest of my life.
Few pathetic hair are not worth the risk of losing so good trait. :)

How old are you now? I used to be the exact same way as you. But as I got older my sex drive actually went down quite a bit. This is why I'm scared of the loss of libido. Mine sex drive has diminished enough, I don't want to lose any more. I think a lot of people are in the same boat since a lot of finasteride users start at about my age (30).

abcdefg

Reaction score
Everyone is different I mean what you said is just your opinion and other men just think differently

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do people care so much about their sex drive??
Well, as you probbaly know, most men think with their...dick, so you get the answer to your question.

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
For some, there is a complete absence of sex drive. No Mojo. Meaning even when they are doing it, they feel nothing. Nadda. Zilch. No sensations. For those folks (and some include former finasteride users), life is hell.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
For some, there is a complete absence of sex drive. No Mojo. Meaning even when they are doing it, they feel nothing. Nadda. Zilch. No sensations. For those folks (and some include former finasteride users), life is hell.

Oh yes, and how do you know that such people exist?
I never heard about, of course, there are many man who can't get it up, but to be able to make sex and feel nothing, i never heard about.
As about "life is hell", don't know, but i assume life doesn't reduce to sex.

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair is more important than my sexual function. This is for several reasons, including but not limited to: expressing myself creatively is more important than the release that sex provides; I already know I am going to adopt if I decide to be a parent; I have anxiety about sex because i have uncommon sexual interests and social anxiety, and those combined make sex annoying and sometimes just unpleasurable for me to do with another person because of reasons you can hopefully infer; I'm already on antidepressants that reduce my sex drive and ease of reaching orgasm, and I figure, if I can handle that much reduction, I can handle more. I have not had penetrative sex (or really any sexual actions) with someone that I felt was more pleasurable than masturbation. It was fun when I first got into it, but now it's just kind of boring. I think it would be different if I were in a relationship with someone and I wanted to have sex with them, but I'm not going to sacrifice my independence and singularity as a person for the possibility of that one part of a relationship.

Also my sister is asexual, and her life is most certainly not hell because of it. It causes her anxiety, but she is perfectly satisfied without having sexual desire and release.

I think a few too many people contemplating finasteride let society's view of their sex drive dictate their view of their sex drive, and they choose to not risk lowering it because society's view says they shouldn't.

dark&bald

Established Member
Reaction score
that's perfectly normal. Most men won't admit to decrease in sex drive as they get older but if you reword it by asking how was "it" when they were 14 or 15yrs old. They'll probably tell you some crazy story where they rubbed one out in the bathroom or something to that effect. lol

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with you threre, who the **** wants a high sex drive....
Thinking about sex all the time is unbearable.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Sex drive is very important, it's the source of all transmuted energy.

No sex drive = no drive in life.

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
No disrespect to anyone, but if hair is more important to you than sex - You're not doing it right.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
No disrespect to anyone, but if hair is more important to you than sex - You're not doing it right.

True, but there is still a nice payoff for trying drugs like finasteride. Even though sex is very important. Judging by the statistic of sexual adverse effects, it goes something like this.

100% hair and 80% sex drive vs 0% hair and 100% sex drive.

Even though my erections are not as full and hard compared to a year ago, and semen is watery with less sperms. I'd prefer to keep my hair along with it.