Why do hair transplant's look better short?

massa

Banned
Reaction score
All the pictures ive seen of hair transplant results, the hair always looks better shaved down, when its grown out it kind of looks more pluggy, thin and horrible. Is it possible to get an hair transplant but then grow your hair long?

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I belive it is possible to grow a hair transplant long I've never read anyway saying it isn't? I think the conclusion that having a hair transplant kept short is similar to the reasoning why when someone starts thinning they start shaving their hair short. Hair transplants are by no means perfect. I'm waiting on Fred to see if he has any improvement.

Isn't it true that someone with naturally thin hair can consider hair transplant a non-option

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I think it depends on the severity of hair loss before the transplant. If somebody is starting from NW4+, then I would imagine that usually the coverage gained by a transplant is going to be very thin. Styling options are going to be limited. You can buzz your head and at the very least not be slick bald. If you are just filling in recession(NW2 maybe NW3) then I would think that you could do whatever you want with your hair and still look good. I know there are exceptions, but I doubt the majority of guys with advanced hair loss are really in the position to get multiple transplants to put them at even close to pre hair loss density.

shookwun

Reaction score
its all relative to how thick, and dense your donor hair is because achieving native density is impossible, and itll never be the exact replicate of existing hair. With the right style, it can look good though. Forget slicking the hair straight up, regardless of how awesome your density is, itll look like plugs. Most common is a side part hair style to give more density from hair over lap. That, and a buzzcut is an option for those who dont have enough hair.

The higher the noorwood, the less options for styles when it comes to implants. Best responders for results, and aesthetics are people under NW3 who receive a dense refined hairline.

doublebatman

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember looking through nic nitro and garageland's stories and one of them saying that there is a sweet spot with hair length, just enough length to get that side part and give the illusion of density. I suppose it varies from person to person but hair transplant generally looks better high and tight imo

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good replies from not cool and shookwun. A guy I chill with went from Norwood 3 to close to 1, basically full hair and can adopt any styles. Just depends on your state prior to hair loss. You definitely CAN have a hair style post hair transplant.

bilboswaggins

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good replies from not cool and shookwun. A guy I chill with went from Norwood 3 to close to 1, basically full hair and can adopt any styles. Just depends on your state prior to hair loss. You definitely CAN have a hair style post hair transplant.
how many grafts did that take?
is it easy to sport a fringe post hair transplant? Most patients have their hair slicked back to reveal hairline so I dont see it a lot.

shookwun

Reaction score
Temple points are key for delivering natural looking results, and limiting that wide forehead look. A lot of people over emphasise the hairline, but temple points are paramount to looking good from profile, and giving a more youthful appearance all together.

Forget the 'high school hair' though. Those pompadour styles etc will make the hair look like plugs

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
its all relative to how thick, and dense your donor hair is because achieving native density is impossible, and itll never be the exact replicate of existing hair. With the right style, it can look good though. Forget slicking the hair straight up, regardless of how awesome your density is, itll look like plugs. Most common is a side part hair style to give more density from hair over lap. That, and a buzzcut is an option for those who dont have enough hair.

The higher the noorwood, the less options for styles when it comes to implants. Best responders for results, and aesthetics are people under NW3 who receive a dense refined hairline.

This basically.

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I would really like to know more about this. What do people mean exactly when growing out transplanted hair it will be looking 'pluggy'?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont think super short or long looks good either

So far mine looks best at maybe an inch or so. But it depends on your hair. I actually have wavy hair that flow to one side naturally. When its cut super crew short you can easily spot the differences (well early on anyway) between natural and repaired areas. When too long the density difference shows heavily under light.
Im finding about 1-1.5" is good to where the density difference is barely noticable, the hair STAYS put and doesnt need fixing and telling the planted ones is nearly impossible.
I can see people with hair transplant who cut to a crew and you can pretty much tell by the flow of the hair that its not natural where the implanted hairs pretty much just jet out while the natural hairs flow with the shape of your head better.

Just my observation from dealing with people. I actually was talking to 2 guys in my gym locker room about it yesterday, after talking about having great heads of hair in our youths. Neither one could tell there was one done and both wanted the guys names, one was only 29. Im not ashamed to tell ANYONE I had it done openly. The more people doing it the better all around to me.

loscott28

Reaction score
All the pictures ive seen of hair transplant results, the hair always looks better shaved down, when its grown out it kind of looks more pluggy, thin and horrible. Is it possible to get an hair transplant but then grow your hair long?

Shorter hair is lighter — it's not weighed down by length — so it has a little more volume and the illusion of more density.