Why Do Hair Follicles Have Androgen Receptors At All?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have two questions:

#1 Why do hair follicles have androgen receptors at all?

With all these antiandrogens, whether they bind to receptors or inhibit 5AR, I've never heard of them having any other effect on the hair than promoting growth (side effects in other parts of body aside). In other words, if you block androgens from binding to receptors, all you get is uninhibited hair growth, which makes me wonder why hair follicles have androgen receptors in the first place if the only thing they seem to do is make you go bald when androgens bind to them.

Is it that they regulate hair growth in infancy?

#2 Why is it that hairloss happens at the age it does?

If the mechanism is androgens binding to receptors, well that can happen just as well at 16 as it can at 30. Why does hairloss hit at a later age?

In fact, presumably you have more testosterone to convert to DHT at 16 than you have at 30 and later.

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are asking questions that science has no clue about, at least until now, maybe with time... Why does DHT promote hair growth all over the body including on the most close place to the scalp, the face and why does it make it fall on the head? The androgen receptors are everywhere why do they react like that only on the scalp? And so on..

If they would be able to answer that, the problem would be half solved, but nobody knows exactly, there are a lot of theories and the one that i find more plausible is that DHT has a counter effect on the hair because of an unknown factor that is damaging the scalp, for whatever reason.

May it be the shape or development of the scalp after some age? Millimetric differences that could count or do so much damage? Scalp tension or something wrong with the fat deposits that are under the scalp? Maybe the aromatase enzymes that lack in the balding scalp disappear with time and maybe that's why DHT is doing what is doing without the help of the aromatase? Maybe the cells that are depleted mysteriously from the balding regions?

1000000000 questions without an answer, a lot of studies and contradictory information, nobody knows exactly that's the only certain thing. And when we don't know, it must be genetics, all tho they can't exactly say which genes and how, are they from your mother, or your father, or from both? Why do they react differently from generation from generation, why do patterns differ so much even in families, i even saw bald kids that didn't had any bald men in their family for ages, on both sides and with all that they are bald at 20, or 30...

Nobody knows mate, it's that simple, you could trust anybody and everybody will say different things but the truth is that nobody knows and until we evolve more and find different ways of analysis we won't have an answer.

But mark my words, when the time comes, our future generation will be amazed of our current knowledge and will laugh hard when they will read what people used to do to save their hair, from castrations to actually trying to turn themselves into a woman to save or get their hair back but i guess it's just the way things are, we laugh of our ancestors also and not only because of the things they did or believed related to baldness, but in a general consensus also...

Last edited: