Why do guys rock the "Larry David" or "Danny Devito"??

Averagejoe

Reaction score
Why do guys with a little hair and the sides and back keep it?
Anybody at that point should just shave it!
Looks really silly IMO

cuebald

Reaction score
Certain older men (those in their 40's upwards) here have the image of guys who are Sly as being more "non-conformist" - it's not considered a very professional style by older people.

The horseshoe might look a disaster, but it's basically the expected style for all older white collar workers.

I work in a School and all the bald 40+'s rock the Horseshoe look, while every bald man under 30 is either totally sly, or has buzzed down to grade 1/2. It seems accepted for a younger guy to go sly, but it would be completely unexpected on an older man. (This is based on what I see here in the UK.)

Interestingly enough, the School prohibits the children from going Sly, and they sometimes ask "why can Mr Soandso shave his head and I can't?" and nobody has an answer; nobody wants to point out the fact that that teacher is bald.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Simple until recently (this century) shaving it all off was a pretty odd thing to do. There still exists a a sterotype for some people when they see a shaved head they think of a thug or fascist. So for guys over 30/40 that idea may still be in their minds.
Also some guys dont suit the shaved look they think it makes them look ill or unhealthy. Lets face it having hair on your head is the natural look for a human being even if you are a balding guy. Until recently there has never been any time in history when it was cosidered normal for a white western male to opt for a shaved head. and some guys just want their hair, they'll keep whatever remains of it rather than totally lose it all.
Plus with a guy like Larry David his reasoning is "hey I'm bald everybody knows it and shaving the little bit that remains is'nt going to convince anyone that I've opted to look this way".

Averagejoe

Reaction score
Thats interesting.I work in a place where 60% of the guys are 45-60.
The guys in their 30's and 40's tend to shave it totally or really..
Close.50 and older rock the Monk look for the most part so i think you..
Are on to something there.

Averagejoe

Reaction score
I think shaving the head is much more common in England...
Or it seems to be.I actually wouldnt mind shaving my head if i looked..
Good that way but i dont lol.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion.
I think a horseshoe in older men looks ok.

An old NW1 like Ronal Reagan looks weird to my eyes, an old guy with a horseshoe for some reason doesn't bothers me as much like seeing a young man who is bald

Kinda think the theory about bald men looking "wiser" is true

slipy

Reaction score
as unappealing and unattractive as the horseshoe is you still look more natural, more human with it. the sly look i dont how anyone ever thought of it as an viable answer to male pattern baldness.

AnberlinFan84

Established Member
Reaction score
Devito is awesome in Its always sunny in Philadelphia. His hair just makes his character that much better.

what

Established Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine who, at the time, was a advanced NW5, decided to razor his head one day. It looked awful...it was just way too much flesh. Doesn't help that he's 100% Irish with white skin. I never thought i would say the horshoe would look better on a guy, but, i think in many cases it does. In particular, guys of european decent, with fair skin. He keeps his hair buzzed down tight, probably a 2 or 3 guard, and he looks decent. But, for sure that look only suits certain guys. Helps if you have a dark complection and a good shape head. Neither of which i possess.

resu

Reaction score
If you have really white skin like me it just looks awful, like a baby, that's the image that always comes to mind when I see a guy with white rosy skin sly. It's also annoying to bald without having anywhere near a full beard, so I can forget the buzz cut and beard combo that almost always works plus it just accentuates the "sick" look if you're sly without a full beard.

what

Established Member
Reaction score
That's actually a pretty good description of what he looked like. He looked like an infant, a big horrid baby with pale, shiny skin. The sun was bright that day and it was kinda hot, so on top of it, the skin on his head was blotchy with red/pink marks. Uggh...i felt bad for him. Unfortunately, I know that's how it will look for me if i go full on NW6. Except i'm skinner then him, so, i'll definitely have the sick patient look. My beard doesn't come in very thick and looks scraggy when i let it grow, so don't even have the option of compensating with facial hair.

My horseshoe awaits me somewhere out there in the dark not too distant future.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sick of hearing ppl say 'just shave it'. its not as if you shave it, and it never returns. to keep it smooth, or even 0 blade, u have to shave every day, or second day. y ou cant expect someone else to do it that often, so u have to do it urself. its very hard to get it even, and takes alot of time, plsu when using a razor you often cut urself.

so it should be no surprise men keep the horse shoe style. for the simple reason that they have got old enough that the work involved with keepign it freshly shaven is too much for the benefit.

In short, they get old, they dont give a f... anymore, so they say f... it this is my head, deal with it. i cant be f...ed shaving it everyday
anymore.

I shaved for about a year, before i grew it back, even though it looked sh.t.

Reaction score
I would shave my head with a razor with the grain. Honestly don't like the first day clean shaved because it's supper shiny. But after one day I'm okay with the stubble look. At the moment I'm growing it out....just kinda want to rock the power dome for a while before i shave it again.

blackg

Reaction score
I am sick of hearing ppl say 'just shave it'. its not as if you shave it, and it never returns. to keep it smooth, or even 0 blade, u have to shave every day, or second day. y ou cant expect someone else to do it that often, so u have to do it urself. its very hard to get it even, and takes alot of time, plsu when using a razor you often cut urself.

so it should be no surprise men keep the horse shoe style. for the simple reason that they have got old enough that the work involved with keepign it freshly shaven is too much for the benefit.

In short, they get old, they dont give a f... anymore, so they say f... it this is my head, deal with it. i cant be f...ed shaving it everyday
anymore.

I shaved for about a year, before i grew it back, even though it looked sh.t.
This is a smart post.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wanting hair and to look good in your youth is just wanting to look normal.

I agree, Fred. Hair loss, for both men and women, stands out like a sore thumb so much more when you're young. Wanting hair no matter what age is normal, but at least when it happens in middle age and older, there are far more people in the same boat.