Why are Copper Peptides so Important?

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone here has had any results with copr peptitdes. I currently use folligen spray with my finasteride & nizoral regimen. Is it truly a growth stimulator as I've seen it listed or is it's purpose mainly for scalp therapy?

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
CP encourages longer growth phase and shortens the dormant phase so indirectly it does stimulate growth and also repairs scarred/damaged hair cells due to dht . Cp is not as direct in its growth stimulation as minoxidil .

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
Lot of people here do not recommend the use of saw palmetto for hairloss, yet, I notice that American Crew peptides, which seems to be popular with users here, contains saw palmetto along with green tea.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I just ignored the mention of Saw Palmetto and Green Tea. I bought it for the peptides, period.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Even though saw palmetto doesn't really do anything for hairloss saw has a permanent (unfortunately/undeservingly) name for itself as a hairloss preventive herb . Adding it to a working product will only increase sales .

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What up Fellas,

Please read. :)

Recent research indicates that the DHT that harms hair follicles comes from the the skin's sebocytes and sweat glands (sebaceous glands). (Chen et al 1996) 5 alpha-Reductase, the enzyme system that converts testosterone into DHT occurs in two enzyme forms. The type 1 represents the 'cutaneous type'; it is located primarily in the skin's sebocytes but also in epidermal and follicular keratinocytes, dermal papilla cells and sweat glands as well as in fibroblasts. The type 2 is located mainly in the seminal vesicles, prostate and in the inner root sheath of the hair follicle.

Propecia® (Finasteride), which has a higher affinity for the type 2 form, is best suited for for controlling prostate enlargement. It also must be administered by pills that spread the drug throughout the body.

Copper ion in the skin is more effective in inhibiting the type 1 form which is primarily producing the DHT that damages follicles and can be administered locally to the skin. Sugimoto et al (Sugimito 1995) found that copper ion is a potent inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase, inhibiting both types of 5-alpha reductase (both type 1 and type 2) that produce DHT and is the only metal to do so. Copper ion inhibits (50% reduction in activity) type 1 alpha reductase at 1.9 micromolar (0.12 micrograms copper ion per milliliter) and type 2 alpha reductase at 19.2 microM (1.2 micrograms copper ion per milliliter). No other metal has these effects.

The application of copper-peptides may provide sufficient copper ion into the hair follicle area to block DHT production in the scalp. Metabolically active copper ion (that is, copper ion free to block 5-alpha reductase) in the human body exists at about 1 microgram per milliliter in the blood and less in the skin. While the uptake of ionic copper from copper-peptides applied to the scalp is very low, human experiments by Prof. John Sorenson (University of Arkansas) have found that they can raise copper ion levels in the skin to the effective level of 1 microgram per milliliter.

This just adds to the importance that Cu-Peptides may have.

OUT!
Tony Montana

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
brasileirao said:
Recent research indicates that the DHT that harms hair follicles comes from the the skin's sebocytes and sweat glands (sebaceous glands).

Baloney.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
brasileirao said:
Recent research indicates that the DHT that harms hair follicles comes from the the skin's sebocytes and sweat glands (sebaceous glands).

Baloney.
and cheese makes a good sandwhich.

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
Is spironolactone localised? i.e only working in areas applied with spironolactone. Also, is once a day application sufficient?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Chujgcha said:
absmon said:
Which enzyme form does spironolactone inhibit? Type 1 or 2

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/study2.pdf

It works as a local antiandrogen - blocks the androgen receptors so DHT doesn't bind. According to this article it doesn't inhibit the 5 AR enzymes.

Actually, it does, in a way. It doesn't 'inhibit' 5 AR, but it does inhibit the synthesis of testosterone into 5 AR and instead converts the enzymes into Estrogen.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
absmon said:
Is spironolactone localised? i.e only working in areas applied with spironolactone. Also, is once a day application sufficient?

spironolactone is highly localized. Almost every experiment has shown that, with just one single exception.

Twice a day is probably a little better than once a day. Whether or not once a day is "sufficient" is a difficult philosophical question! :)

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Chujgcha said:
absmon said:
Which enzyme form does spironolactone inhibit? Type 1 or 2

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/study2.pdf

It works as a local antiandrogen - blocks the androgen receptors so DHT doesn't bind. According to this article it doesn't inhibit the 5 AR enzymes.

Actually, it does, in a way. It doesn't 'inhibit' 5 AR, but it does inhibit the synthesis of testosterone into 5 AR and instead converts the enzymes into Estrogen.

Testosterone doesn't get converted into 5a-reductase. 5a-reductase is a large peptide enzyme that bears no resemblance whatsoever to any steroid, including testosterone. What you're probably thinking of is Dr. Lee's claim that spironolactone encourages the aromatization of testosterone into estrogen (which, BTW, I've never seen a reference or citation for).

Bryan

drinkrum

Reaction score
Bryan,

Is spironolactone applied topically absorbed into the bloodstream, i.e. does it exert systemic effects? I seem to remember this was an issue a while back but don't recall whatever came out of it.

D.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Topical spironolactone is highly localized. Almost every experiment has shown that, with just one single exception.

Bryan