Why am I shedding so much at 20 yrs old?

Paul123

Reaction score
Hey this is my first post so not really sure if I put this in the right section but any help would be great thanks. I am a 20 yr old male and I have been losing a lot of hair on my hairline recently. Around one year ago my hairline was receded slightly at the temples (not very much) but it looked like a mature hairline and I really liked how it looked. I also had an extremely thick head of hair. Recently in the past 6 months my hairline has receded a ton more at the temples and now the hair in the center of my hairline is thinning drastically and my hair seems to be thinning all over the top of my scalp. I'm not noticing any additional thinning on my vertex vs the rest of the top of my scalp though. What is strange to me is the fact that I'm balding in general already and why it is occurring in this fashion. My Dad is balding but did not start to until he was around 40 and he began losing hair on the vertex first. Both his brothers are not even balding and are in their 50s. My brother (22) is not balding at all and my younger brother (18) still has a kids hairline and isnt balding at all. Also everyone on my mom's side of the family has full heads of hair. I just dont understand why I am losing my hair already. Did I just get some genes from way down in the family line I am unaware of? Also I thought during male pattern baldness hairs fall out then new weaker hairs grow back in until they stop growing back. My thick hairs instead of falling out are just becoming weak and very curly/fringy and start shrinking and then eventually fall out when they are extremely tiny and thin/curly. I haven't really noticed an increase in hair shed such as hair in the shower because these hairs become almost nonexistent before they fall out. Is this a normal form of balding? Does this definitely sound like male pattern baldness? I really just don't understand why this is happening and it is extremely frustrating. This hair loss is making me extremely depressed so any help would be great thanks.

Regarding my health: Also I have had a fluctuating high blood pressure and also pretty bad health anxiety. I also have like no body hair or facial hair which I thought body hair and balding were correlated, but apparently not.
Also I started using rogaine a little over a month ago and my loss since then has increased a good amount. Could this mean it is working and the hairs will grow back stronger? It seems like I am continuing to lose more and more though and things are seeming hopeless.
Also I have been getting all these red bumps on my scalp I end up itching and it looks like red sore spots on my scalp. I am not sure if this is part of male pattern baldness or what this is.

PreCueBall

Reaction score
I'm not a minoxidil user but from what I've read minoxidil causes a big shed when you begin before the hairs come in stronger. It can also irritate the scalp. But realistically if your moms side of the family is bald free and your dad didn't bald till 40 your probably just paranoid of going bald, hence why you got on the minoxidil in the first place. Should show some pics for the more experienced memebers on here.

Paul123

Reaction score
Im definitely at a Norwood II and going onto Norwood III. I went to the dermatologist 2 months ago before starting rogaine and he said I was a Norwood II. He never really checked my scalp or did any tests but based off my hairline he said it was male pattern baldness. He also gave me a prescription for propecia which I havent started using yet because afraid of sides but probably will soon because this hair loss is killing me.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Start finasteride/propecia 1mg daily

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Check your vitamin D level, are you outside enough ? Make sure your thyroid gland is ok (it causes hair loss).

If you experience a rash or redness on your body, try cutting all wheat(gluten) and milk from your diet. They are inflammatory and they may accelerate your hairloss.

Limit your intake of soda and all sugar-heavy products.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Check your vitamin D level, are you outside enough ? Make sure your thyroid gland is ok (it causes hair loss).

If you experience a rash or redness on your body, try cutting all wheat(gluten) and milk from your diet. They are inflammatory and they may accelerate your hairloss.

Limit your intake of soda and all sugar-heavy products.

this is misleading. 99% of hairloss in males is male pattern baldness and you are a prime age for this to happen. If this is the case, Mikazz's advice is useless when it comes to stopping your loss

especially when the OP clearly describes his loss as occurring in a male pattern baldness form....

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
this is misleading. 99% of hairloss in males is male pattern baldness and you are a prime age for this to happen. If this is the case, Mikazz's advice is useless when it comes to stopping your loss

especially when the OP clearly describes his loss as occurring in a male pattern baldness form....

Yes it is male pattern baldness and it is genetic. But our environment will accelerate hairloss including intolerance to pro inflammatory stuff, thyroid dysfunction and stress. Hunter-gatherer didn't had hairloss in their 20s.