Who here has experienced regrowth or retainment of hair on JUST Minoxidil?

thiswomps

Reaction score
I feel like people are always told to try minoxidil but rarely do people follow up on their experience.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
You can maintain your hair on 5% minoxidil for 2+ decades. That's what we know from anecdotal experience. But we don't know, what a percentage of men can hope in such a success. I have maintained my hair on 2-5% minoxidil alone for 15,5 years. Now I added 5-AR blockers, because I want to be ahead of this process.

However, in theory, once you respond to minoxidil, you can no longer lose hair. It is a dose-dependent stuff, which means that even if your hair could not resist DHT anymore, you can simply increase the dosage. Unfortunately, high minoxidil strengths are not readily available.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
However, in theory, once you respond to minoxidil, you can no longer lose hair. It is a dose-dependent stuff, which means that even if your hair could not resist DHT anymore, you can simply increase the dosage. Unfortunately, high minoxidil strengths are not readily available.

wow! I did not know that minoxidil dependent hair can survive through DHT attack and all!! thanks for the info!

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
wow! I did not know that minoxidil dependent hair can survive through DHT attack and all!! thanks for the info!

Minoxidil doesn't block the attacks of DHT, but it can counterbalance its effect on the chain of reactions leading to the destruction of hair follicles. You can't predict, how long minoxidil will be resisting these attacks. That's its disadvantage, unfortunately.

thiswomps

Reaction score
Yeah so its possible that someone could use minoxidil and not see any effect as their male pattern baldness is probably too aggressive right?

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah so its possible that someone could use minoxidil and not see any effect as their male pattern baldness is probably too aggressive right?

As far as I know, only about 2/3 men react to 5% minoxidil in some way. This strength is undoubtedly less effective than 5-AR blockers (finasteride, dutasteride). But no study on 10-15% minoxidil has been done.

The way of minoxidil's action remains a mystery, but it probably counterbalances the increase of "bad" prostaglandins that is caused by DHT. These "bad" prostaglandins have a negative effect on hair growth.

As I said, you can't predict a long-term minoxidil's efficiacy in the skin - in contrast with 5-AR blockers, where you can easily get blood DHT values and evaluate, if your DHT is in the "safe" zone (roughly below 20 ng/dl). This is why I added dutasteride to my minoxidil regimen.

thiswomps

Reaction score
Don't listen to "ash.ley". Spamming the forum with a website and crap that obviously doesn't work.

cat3appr

Reaction score
I'm consistently using Regaine and a generic minoxidil from last january and my hair are definitely regrowing... i just see less and less alopecia, ok my case wasn't drastic, but still is nice to see improvements. Initially I was using toppik to conceal the skin but now I even don't need it. I'm using regaine in the morning and the generic minoxidil in the evening because is more greasy and i don't like the way it leaves my hair.... while Regain dries off completely and leaves the hair more full, strong.. a good feeling.
Oh for the records, I used also propecia pills for 3 weeks but after reading lots of proven medical demonstration about the decrease of libido, I gave up on it.

sly_fox

Reaction score
Well I started using minoxidil 5% exactly 2 years and 5 months today. Im a diffuse thinner but I caught it very early, no visible thinning but a definite loss in density and a little bit of scalp. I definitely saw some great results within the first 8 months. My temples and crown regained their normal density. Sadly in the past 6 months Ive seen a definite setback. My hair is really limp and thin in the front. So yeah I think the effects lasted for about 2 years. Im still slightly above baseline but i can definitely feel the difference. Im thinking of starting finasteride pretty soon.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^

Have there been any lengthy times during your 2.5 years where you became lazy with your routine of minoxidil application?

My story is similar to yours, in the end I had no choice but to go on finasteride and increase the minoxidil concentration. This has helped a lot, but yet again I feel like I'm slowly losing ground.

The reason I ask is that poster Warlord insists that if you have been totally consistent with minoxidil, it can't suddenly lose its effect.

sly_fox

Reaction score
Well the longest ive been was probably 4 days without applying it simply because I ran out. But other than that Ive been very consistent with my regimen. Another thing i noticed is hat he quality and texture of the hair was very coarse. I used to have very thick slightly wavy hair but lately ive noticed my hair is mostly stick straight with an annoying few wiry curly hairs. Its very annoying, thats why I try to kkep it shorter these days.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^

Have there been any lengthy times during your 2.5 years where you became lazy with your routine of minoxidil application?

My story is similar to yours, in the end I had no choice but to go on finasteride and increase the minoxidil concentration. This has helped a lot, but yet again I feel like I'm slowly losing ground.

The reason I ask is that poster Warlord insists that if you have been totally consistent with minoxidil, it can't suddenly lose its effect.

To be honest, I am baffled by cases like this. It would mean that the regrown hair lasted for only 15 months... My mind hesitates to accept such a story. If Sly Fox tells me that within the next 6 months, he is below baseline, then I'll give it up.

It is really difficult to comment stories like this in the internet. In any case, I think (and I do hope) that they are rare. There still exists a certain possibility that the hairs only desynchronize their cycles.

BTW, if you now use 15% minoxidil and you still lose ground, then this drug really isn't for you. You would probably need 50% concentration to feel safe. It would be better, if you tried dutasteride.