Who here drinks beer while on propecia?

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Any problems? Can you still get a buzz after 1-2 beers? Do you get the same buzz that you did when you drank beer before starting propecia?

Please, all of you, post your experiences here if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

re-seeding

Established Member
Reaction score
I see no difference now, at the start i felt i was getting drunk quicker and more memory blanks but thats no longer the case.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
no. yes. yes.

:agree:

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
This is strange.

I just drank two beers.

At around 5:30 PM, I drank one 7 fl oz bottle of Coors light. Didn't really feel much.

Then at around 6:30 PM, I drank another of these. Felt slightly relaxed (barely anything) then it quickly went away.

I am 24 years old, and I weigh around 150, and am 6ft tall, so I am quite skinny. This is the first time I have drank alcohol in about 5 years.

Shouldn't I at least be a little tipsy by now? I am sort of running an experiment to see what finasteride's effects are on alcohol consumption due to the depletion of certain neurosteroids.

I remember when I was 15 (weighed less, same height as now) it took one 12 fl oz natural ice beer and I was very buzzed, of course I chugged it then, and it had slightly more alcohol by volume. I did the same thing at 19 and got mildy drunk off two. Granted, I weighed less, but not by much.

I don't want to get too drunk so I am being careful, but so far, I barely feel anything at all. Maybe coors light just sucks as a beer, plus these bottles are pretty small. Or maybe its the propecia inhibiting the buzz I used to get, but then again, you guys can still get it.

:lost:

G

this is not very hard to understand.

propecia does not affect your alcohol tolerance.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:

It may affect the subjective effects of alcohol. Its because of allopregnanolone depletion. Pondle and Mew have discussed/argued over this on here, I found it in a search. There are also several studies backing up Mew's position however.

This could have greater implications for anxiety disorders. Its not so much that I care about beer (I never drink, I don't care for alcohol), but it could show that propecia can worsen anxiety conditions due to the depletion of this neurosteroid.

Before I was testing it with ambien (propecia inhibits it completely), it also has inhibitory effects on benzos, at least with me. And I hardly ever take these.

I chose alcohol because it was a better way to measure propecia's effects on gaba since alcohol is much more common to take, then the rare sleeping meds I talked about earlier.

But then again, these guys on here say they still get buzzed so maybe its just my brain that is screwed up.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
youngbaldie said:
JayMan said:

It may affect the subjective effects of alcohol. Its because of allopregnanolone depletion. Pondle and Mew have discussed/argued over this on here, I found it in a search. There are also several studies backing up Mew's position however.

This could have greater implications for anxiety disorders. Its not so much that I care about beer (I never drink, I don't care for alcohol), but it could show that propecia can worsen anxiety conditions due to the depletion of this neurosteroid.

Before I was testing it with ambien (propecia inhibits it completely), it also has inhibitory effects on benzos, at least with me. And I hardly ever take these.

I chose alcohol because it was a better way to measure propecia's effects on gaba since alcohol is much more common to take, then the rare sleeping meds I talked about earlier.

But then again, these guys on here say they still get buzzed so maybe its just my brain that is screwed up.

Mew contributed pretty much all his misfortunes on finasteride anyways.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, I chugged a few in a row, now I'm drunk. Guess I was wrong.

Maybe the rodents were given higher doses or something.

seeves

Reaction score
I have drank for 3 years on finpecia and I have never seen any changes in my tolerance as a result of it. People who are having hair loss problems may cut back on their drinking to improve their health and lower their tolerance significantly and not even realize it.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mew contributed pretty much all his misfortunes on finasteride anyways.

Ragin Demon -- you are one of the most ill-informed people on this forum, childish and immature to boot.

Go ahead -- keep your head in the sand and remain ignorant to the truth about Finasteride's method of action while you continue to take it, it still won't change the facts about how the drug operates.

For the rest of you, here's some stuff on the connection between finasteride, GABA, Allopregnanolone and alcohol:

http://www.scienceblog.com/community/ol ... 04725.html
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v30/n ... 00688a.pdf
http://www.aaap.org/meetings/2005am/kranzler.pdf
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pd ... 06.00053.x

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. finasteride blocks alcohol's effects by inhibiting 5AR reduction of Progesterone --> Allopregnanolone, and it's subsequent action on GABA, in the brain.

Attachments

• finasteride-5ar.gif
    finasteride-5ar.gif
    51.2 KB · Views: 520

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
seeves said:
So essentially all these studies are saying finasteride weakens the effects of alcohol?

Yes. Although, I did get mildy drunk the other night after chugging several coors light. I will admit that it felt 'different' than before, could have been just a placebo effect. It seemed to take longer to kick in, and it didn't last that long. Euphoria was also less marked, more just very dizzy and slightly less coherent.

Propecia certainly inhibits zolpidem (ambien) which is dependant on GABA. I believe benzos are also effected to a certain extent, although not as much as zolpidem. I am not sure why this is, but Propecia seems to completely shut off Ambien like a light switch.

Mew is definately on to something here, when it comes to allopregnanolone levels. This can't be simply dismissed.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
flimflam said:
no difference whatsoever. absolute bullshit. :roll:

Amen brother. I have been drinking on finasteride for 10 years, during that time I have bartended and owned a bar so I drank quite a bit and typically still drink 6+ beers twice a week or more. \

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad to hear that guys. The more experiences like yours, the better. I want it to be bullshit, believe me.

bubka

Reaction score
I have seen no data that can put a quantifiable number on the difference of finasteride and alcohol... until then, it's theoretical BS or just insignificant

mew is one of those guys who is envious of the drinking crowed anyways, the type the builds up these self lectures in his head about how alcohol is "wrong"