White Rice vs. Brown Rice. Which is better?

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally, I love white rice. It tastes better. I love Chinese food. But it is high in glycemic index which leads to insulin resistance and inflammation.

However I have read on some sites that brown rice is not much lower in glycemic index. Some even say it is ironically higher than white rice because it cooks for triple the the time, thus making it stickier, which is bad apparently.

Obviously, brown rice has more vitamins and nutrients since it is not stripped, like white rice. But still, if it is higher in glycemic index, is there even any point to eating it?

Same question applies to bread. White bread is bad, but some sites say whole wheat bread is higher in glycemic index. Is this true?

CCS

Reaction score
who grains have the germ, which is fat and protein, and they have fiber. I doubt that bleached white flower, with the germ and bran removed, would have a lower glycemic index.

Did you know your muscles can't make glycogen from fructose? They need glucose to make glycogen. So when you drink high fructose corn syrup, those calories go to fat, after the blood sugar spike. Yeah, you can burn the fat off, but why do the starve stuff cycle?

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
The only time you should eat white rice or simple carbs is after training.. All other times try and eat wholegrains .

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
all white rices are not created equal!
basmati rice has a low gi (and tastes the best i reckon)
jasmine rice has a high gi
brown rice has a moderate gi (higher than basmati)

eat it throughout the day (in moderation) and avoid starchy carbs of any type at night

powersam

Reaction score
but the worst rice of all is condoleeza.

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
100% agreed sam , I hate that evil c***

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Where can I get basmati rice? Can I find it an any supermarket? Is it hard to prepare? For white rice, I boil it for 5 minutes, then cook it on low for 20-30 minutes.

How do I cook basmati?

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
you cook all rice by boiling it - or at least cooking it in hot water/liquid (making room for risotto for those 'specific' types)
you should be able to get it at the supermarket - basmati that is. or maybe an asian grocer if you can't find it there.

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
made_guy82 said:
all white rices are not created equal!
basmati rice has a low gi (and tastes the best i reckon)
jasmine rice has a high gi
brown rice has a moderate gi (higher than basmati)

eat it throughout the day (in moderation) and avoid starchy carbs of any type at night
so what your saying is basmati rice is better then brown rice?? ive never heard that before. I thought brown rice had the lowest Gi

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
well i haven't run tests myself - just researched it quite a bit on the internet.
i should point out that the gi listed for brown rice often varies from low to above medium depending on the source (of information) whereas basmati is consistently low. which does go against the traditional thinking that 'brown' is best. but the facts are out there - google helps those that help themselves....

personally i have stuck with sweet potatos (kumura), basmati and vegetables as my main sources of carbohydrates. any time i use more refined carbs like bread etc i've noticed dramatic differences in fat and fluid retention...sucks to be healthy.

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool man , i guess you learn something new everyday! :D