Which whey protein is good?

G

I have just ordered from Optimum Nutrition. Is this good? I plan to use it after a workout together with some Dextrose powder.

jayfro

Reaction score
Hey Taug,

I'm not very familiar with the brand you've ordered, but my impression is that whey protein is all pretty similar, regardless of brand. It's all good.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Iso XP is my favorite brand, but it can be one of the more expensive ones on some sites and in stores so i buy it selectively, in large amounts.

Optimum Nutrition used to be total crap 3 or 4 years ago, i think they have come a long way. mostly in the way their shakes taste, they used to be among the worst tasting.

can i ask why you want dextrose? it's just sugar. the average guy doesn't need extra sugar. usually bodybuilders use it to spike their insulin after a workout but i don't know why you would need that. wouldn't harm you though, as long as you can afford the calories in your diet.

Cassin

Reaction score
dietcola said:
Optimum Nutrition used to be total crap 3 or 4 years ago, i think they have come a long way. mostly in the way their shakes taste, they used to be among the worst tasting.

They can thank bodybuilding.com for that. I wonder what their exact relationship is.

Their vanilla is awesome.

dietcola said:
can i ask why you want dextrose? it's just sugar

It's better than refined sugar

G

Insulin is a growth factor, hence the reason why they want to spike insulin levels after workout.

CCS

Reaction score
It is because right after an intense workout, you used all your energy and wore down your muscles, and you don't want them eating eating themself. You want to give them sugar and whey fast so they will start growing instead.

I use whey concentrate and orange juice and GTE after my workouts. The isolate gets to your muscles faster, but does not have all the cofactors that the concentrate does, if it is good concentrate.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Awesome...I use OJ and whey too....I thought I was the only one. Don't really hear too many people who do!

Cassin

Reaction score
Thinning Sucks said:
Awesome...I use OJ and whey too....I thought I was the only one. Don't really hear too many people who do!

OJ and vanilla whey when you need a sweet fix is awesome. Especially with slushy OJ.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Sorry to be off-topic, but I saw this thread about protein right after I discovered my jar of Peter Pan is in the recall.

I'm bach'in it for a few days while my wife is out of town and had my heart set on a PB&J and a movie. F!

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
It is because right after an intense workout, you used all your energy and wore down your muscles, and you don't want them eating eating themself. You want to give them sugar and whey fast so they will start growing instead.

yes, i understand how muscle recovery works. but the average male gets more than enough sugar each day and supplementing with dextrose after a workout can simply be more calories. i drink chocolate milk after a workout for the sugar, but that's because i consume almost NO sugar in my diet (some from fruit). my point was that the average person working out does not need more sugar in their bloodstream just like a marathon runner doesn't need more creatine in his system.

CCS

Reaction score
This is not correct. You are supposed to move your calorie intake around so that your meal sizes and spacings put your "calories in" very close to your "calories out". There is nothing wrong with getting a lot of sugar in your diet if it is from fruit. You need other nutrients in grains, but the type of carbohydrate does not matter as long as there is fiber to slow the sugar spike. Now right after a workout, you don't want the fiber.

If you want build muscle without gaining fat, you need to give your muscles what they need, when they need it, which means spread out even but with more calories per hour soon after the workout and less later.

If you want to lose fat without losing muscle, you need to keep your hourly calorie deficit as even as possible throughout the day. If you lose a lot in one hour, you have a higher chance of burning more muscle that hour, and eating a lot of protein instead of carbs right then won't stop it.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
WOW. if i submitted any of what you just said to my nutrition prof, or even my rec leisure prof they would seriously ask me to reconsider my area of study. it's not ALL wrong, but it's hardly right. very biased. very one dimensional. nutrition isn't black and white man, you need to understand it if you want to speak it. i feel like you probably copy pasted that off some website like bodybuilding.com that are trying to convince you to buy products through their online store by telling you why you need them.

i'm not against the idea of dextrose being used with your protein shakes. all i said is for someone already intaking enough sugar in a day, this isn't going to help things. will it spike insulin levels? yes. will it aid in muscle recovery? potentially, but for someone consuming enough calories from sugar in a day, it's just more sugar. meaning MORE CALORIES, which is why weight gainer supplements are full of dextrose. i asked him WHY he was supplementing with dextrose. if he answered "i am trying to gain weight" i would have told him he's on the right path. it will indeed help him gain weight.

most people don't just want to "gain weight" unless they are body builders or are undersized. all those calories from the dextrose don't just go away, they affect your daily caloric intake in a big way. (take a 2300 calorie diet, add 300 calories to that, and that's like eating a big piece of cake every day. not helping the rest of your diet) i was guessing that his fitness goals were to be in better shape, replace fat with muscle and be in a healthy weight for his size and age. which is why i asked him.

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
Protein is not very similar at all but price is the most important factor. To me how well it mixes with a fork or spoon is the most important factor. that might not be important to other people because they use a blender.

Optimum is my fav

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pick up a plastic drink shaker in any health foods store man, just throw your shakes in there. the shakers have a plastic grill inside to break up chunks and you can even put peanut butter in it. protein drinks are enjoyable to drink when they are smooooth, and it doesn't make it frothy like blenders sometimes do.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i dont add no sugar to my shake
i eat alot of fruit but except that i get no suger all the day
im trying to get bigger and lower bodyfat as well
dietcola so you think i should add dextrose to my shake?many people told me i should...

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
50:50 dextose : protein shake after a workout is a must for best results. Not as a meal replacement thow, JUST after a workout. Any sugar is good, but avoid pulpy juices that have fibre in them.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Optimum Nutrition vanilla is what I have, tastes great. No glutamine peptides though. ON Pro has the glutamine peptides, but doesn't come all natural.