Which Type Of Bonding For A Skin Hairpiece?

Jalal

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a skin hairpiece and I was wondering which bond type it can support:
At the first installment, the salon told me I could use tape or glue and they advised glue (GhostBond) for longevity.
Upon reading some articles on the web (https://www.hairdirect.com/learn/hairsystems/custom/design/baseguide), it is only mentioned that a skin base is compatible with liquid adhesive (I understand it as glue), where as a lace base can support both tape and glue.

This makes me wonder why the salon suggested I could use tape ?

At the following refit a month later, they again asked me, I said tape this time (I wanted to have less trouble/messiness in case there was a lift), but they insisted glue would be better. I added that with sports/sweat I have frequent lifts, they said don't worry, we will use Ghost Bond except on the perimeters where we will use a silicone based glue (as opposed to the water based Ghost Bond) that won't come off because of sweat (they applied Walkers Ultra Hold). After a week/10 days, I still got lifts on the perimeters/hairline, and now 3 weeks later I have significant lifts and the glue is overflowing out of the hairline.

This reinforces once again my belief that I should go with tape, mainly to limit the glue mess, and potentially to have an improved hold, even if it may mean I should refit more often.

All in all, I am wondering if I can safely apply tape on my base (thinking of applying Walkers No Shine on perimeters and Walkers 3 mil on the front, as advised by Noah).

Thanks in advance for your insights, remarks and advice.

J

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

At the first installment, the salon told me I could use tape or glue and they advised glue (GhostBond) for longevity.
Upon reading some articles on the web (https://www.hairdirect.com/learn/hairsystems/custom/design/baseguide), it is only mentioned that a skin base is compatible with liquid adhesive (I understand it as glue), where as a lace base can support both tape and glue.

At the following refit a month later, they again asked me, I said tape this time (I wanted to have less trouble/messiness in case there was a lift), but they insisted glue would be better. I added that with sports/sweat I have frequent lifts, they said don't worry, we will use Ghost Bond except on the perimeters where we will use a silicone based glue (as opposed to the water based Ghost Bond) that won't come off because of sweat (they applied Walkers Ultra Hold). After a week/10 days, I still got lifts on the perimeters/hairline, and now 3 weeks later I have significant lifts and the glue is overflowing out of the hairline.

This reinforces once again my belief that I should go with tape, mainly to limit the glue mess, and potentially to have an improved hold, even if it may mean I should refit more often.

All in all, I am wondering if I can safely apply tape on my base (thinking of applying Walkers No Shine on perimeters and Walkers 3 mil on the front, as advised by Noah).

J

Go with what @Noah suggested vis a vis that tape!

BTW, three weeks is a very LONG time to expect from a bond. 1-2 weeks, is generally a good time to remove, clean and re-apply.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

J
I used tape for skin systems on the perimeter and hairline sometimes but it required more time to clean up the base. Maybe the salon people wanted to speed up the cleaning process so they recommended you to use adhesive instead.
My personal experience tells me doesn't matter what base systems (lace or skin) I wear, it causes a bad smell if I don't clean my scalp with bar soap or shampoo after a few days. On a hot day if I've been moving around a lot I'll sweat like a waterfall. I feel like bacteria trap underneath if I keep the system on for too many days. Especially during summer when it sweats a lot after spending a few hours at the gym or outdoor.