Which Tape Do You Use On Your Poly Surround?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, just switched to synthetic and poly surround ( due to excessive shedding)

I have been trying various tape (no shine, SuperTape, ultrahold minis) on the poly surround and find that it is very hard to remove tape from poly and clean. Tried 99 alcohol, googone , and the poly feels sticky?

Think there's a reaction Going owith the glue and the poly...

So guys, what are you using as tape, and how do you clean poly.??

Thanks

lace

Reaction score
I have used Supertape for 11 years. No issues.

99% alcohol and GooGone I use exclusively. Autoglym also an excelent substitute for GooGone. I did a 3 month test a few years ago using Autoglym to determine if I could detect anything different vs GooGone. Below is a copy and paste from a post of mine on another forum:

1. Autoglym not widely available in the USA. I ordered through Amazon. Shipped from Europe, several week delay, about 3X as expensive as GooGone.
2. GooGone available everywhere in the USA. Cheap....$5-$6 for 16 oz.
3. I ran a 3 month test on a lace hp with Autoglym. No need to do a test with GooGone since I had been using it for years. I observed no difference. Both work great. Primary ingredient in GooGone is petroleum distillates hydrotreated "Light." Primary ingredient in Autoglym petroleum distillates hydrotreated "heavy."
4. "light" v "heavy".......both are naptha. Apparently Lt naptha is associated with ethylene, propylene and butadiene. Hvy naptha is associated with benzene, toluene and xylene.
5. GG and AG have a different aroma. I suspect that has nothing to do with cleaning.
6. I am not a chemist. Thus not able to explain the pro and con (if any) between "light" and "heavy." However, in use on a lace HP I see zero difference.

You did not state your cleaning methodology. Here is what works for me...

1. Detach HP using 99% alcohol. Heavy application. I prefer to let it soak for 5 minutes.

2. After detach I manually pull of any remaining tape remnants if possible. I spray a heavy coat of GooGone (or Autoglym) over the lace side of the hp. I place the HP in a plastic bag and let it sit for at least one hour. I 1/2 hours is even better. This may not be an option for you if you have time limitations that require you to detach, clean and reattach quickly. I work at home and I have several HP's. Time not an issue with me.

3. I find that all or most of the adhesive (liquid and tape) is gone after the time in the plastic bag. Any remaining residue is easily removed by just sliding the lace side against glossy (it must be glossy not flat) magazine stock. The residue easily transfers from the lace to the magazine stock. If you enjoy cleaning adhesive residue from a mirror or a window then you can do the mirror/window slide. No cleanup required with magazine stock.

4. I then fill a bowl with hot tap water and a heavy solution of shampoo. I use Tressemme shampoo. Use whatever you prefer. I soak the hp for at least 30 minutes (one hour is better).

5. Rinse thoroughly. Check for any trace of remaining residue (usually none).

6. Condition. Then rinse and dry. Done.

Years ago I bought a HP with poly strips. Never again. Miserable cleanup. Lace easy to clean. Your experience may vary.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on lace pieces....but i have a cleaning issue with the poly surround...lace is fine...

FYI autoglym tar remover also not avail in canada....

Thanks again though

lace

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on lace pieces....but i have a cleaning issue with the poly surround...lace is fine...

FYI autoglym tar remover also not avail in canada....

Thanks again though
Everything I wrote above also applies to cleaning poly, not just lace. No autoglym in Canada......non issue. Googone and autoglym identical cleaning properties.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
5. Rinse thoroughly. Check for any trace of remaining residue (usually none).

And if there are traces left do I start all over again with the Autoglym soak?

Perhaps soaking into shampoo is the key here.

lace

Reaction score
Do not know what to tell you. I have read your posts for probably 4 years on at least 3 different forums. (On one forum you and I already had this exchange about 2+ years ago) You seem to have more issues, unique to you, than other wearers.

More Autoglym, more 99 percent alcohol, shampoo soak, the "slide," take your pick. I would never predict your results!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Do not know what to tell you. I have read your posts for probably 4 years on at least 3 different forums. (On one forum you and I already had this exchange about 2+ years ago) You seem to have more issues, unique to you, than other wearers.

More Autoglym, more 99 percent alcohol, shampoo soak, the "slide," take your pick. I would never predict your results!
But why do the shampoo soak? Why not just wash it with shampoo base side up? I understand all your glue is gone already anyway when you do that shampoo soak.