Which Regimen Should I Start? Deciding Between Two Options (18 Yo)

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 18 years old and have started thinning at the temples. It’s not too bad yet but I want to stop it early. It’s still noticeable to the public eye. Pictures below

I’m deciding between two different regimens. I only want to do topicals because I’m trying to limit sides.

Take first option is topical finasteride. I would
likely make my own and use .1% finasteride 5% minoxidil and apply it once a day 1mL (1mg finasteride). I’ve heard this has a low chance of side effects. I would also dermaroll 1.5mm once a week and use nazoral shampoo twice a week. Also is it true topical reduces side effects?

The second option is zix. The reason I’m considering this is because I’m still early and would maybe start something with no sides that could still work well. I’m curious what formula to
use if I try this. I would still use the shampoo and dermaroll but I don’t know if I should use it with minoxidil.

These are the two options I’m deciding between. Please help me with feedback of which one I should try first and storied from if anyone has tried these. Thanks! Pictures below to show where it’s at.

Attachments

• 2DADC6F8-93DE-4C5A-8270-C065740B8F6F.jpeg
    2DADC6F8-93DE-4C5A-8270-C065740B8F6F.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 797
  • 6776C23E-063E-4E49-BE60-835AFB6B2240.jpeg
    6776C23E-063E-4E49-BE60-835AFB6B2240.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 485
  • A3152506-A75B-4658-894F-8DB3B628F122.jpeg
    A3152506-A75B-4658-894F-8DB3B628F122.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 460
  • B0A9BB4F-27CD-426A-9C29-9F788EC650AE.jpeg
    B0A9BB4F-27CD-426A-9C29-9F788EC650AE.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 471
  • 3D87B878-60AC-4C10-A51C-13BCF6C7A5DE.jpeg
    3D87B878-60AC-4C10-A51C-13BCF6C7A5DE.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 483
  • C4E2C72A-44B4-455A-9AA9-4AAC72912A02.jpeg
    C4E2C72A-44B4-455A-9AA9-4AAC72912A02.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 531
  • D8E626DA-5CE2-4B80-8BF1-789546D76400.jpeg
    D8E626DA-5CE2-4B80-8BF1-789546D76400.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 542
  • 19AE90BF-09B6-43B9-847C-9880676A58E7.jpeg
    19AE90BF-09B6-43B9-847C-9880676A58E7.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 680
  • 8D834DF1-4687-4C61-93E1-64D6CC4CF1B6.jpeg
    8D834DF1-4687-4C61-93E1-64D6CC4CF1B6.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If anyone with experience with topical finasteride or zix would like to share please do!!

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
No experience with topical finasteride but apparently it is somewhat effective, topical finasteride trumps zix any day of the week even if it not be as potent as oral finasteride. Im not saying zix is useless but there is a massive amount of science backing finasteride up compared to zix. I would personally just jump on oral finasteride though, if you get unbearable sides then just stop, no big deal, im not a big believer in PFS tbh. You are unlikely to get sides and if you do they will probably be minor.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would first try Zix and jump on low dose topical finasteride after 3-6 months if no shedding/miniaturising improvement. Always try the side-effect free treatment first.

To contrast with Derelict's statement, you should know that, based on existing studies:
  • Topical finasteride has been demonstrated to be as effective as oral finasteride ;
  • Topical finasteride can be as damaging for your hormones system as oral finasteride.
Also, it is becoming hard to deny the existence of post-finasteride syndrome (PFS) today, with more and more people claiming they suffer from similar symptoms (some might be reading your post right now). There will always be people on this forum advocating finasteride - most of the time, aggressively. My point is: please document yourself first, try to read statements from both sides of the finasteride debate before getting yourself started with this treatment.

I wrote a post about topical finasteride a couple days ago. You should check it out.

At your age, I imagine how pressured you are about your appearance (we all are, even the oldest people out here). You still have a decent amount of hair on your head and I am sure nobody notices your receding hairline but yourself. Give yourself time to understand what's at stake with finasteride.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would first try Zix and jump on low dose topical finasteride after 3-6 months if no shedding/miniaturising improvement. Always try the side-effect free treatment first.

To contrast with Derelict's statement, you should know that, based on existing studies:
  • Topical finasteride has been demonstrated to be as effective as oral finasteride ;
  • Topical finasteride can be as damaging for your hormones system as oral finasteride.
Also, it is becoming hard to deny the existence of post-finasteride syndrome (PFS) today, with more and more people claiming they suffer from similar symptoms (some might be reading your post right now). There will always be people on this forum advocating finasteride - most of the time, aggressively. My point is: please document yourself first, try to read statements from both sides of the finasteride debate before getting yourself started with this treatment.

I wrote a post about topical finasteride a couple days ago. You should check it out.

At your age, I imagine how pressured you are about your appearance (we all are, even the oldest people out here). You still have a decent amount of hair on your head and I am sure nobody notices your receding hairline but yourself. Give yourself time to understand what's at stake with finasteride.
Thanks! Is it true that there is a reduced chance of sides with topical

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! Is it true that there is a reduced chance of sides with topical

Some users have experienced less sides on topical than on oral. Others have experienced just as much sides.

In any case, don't fool yourself: if you opt for high concentration topical (> 0,025%), the long term harm it could cause on your health are pretty much the same as oral. My firm belief is that the probability of PFS occurrence would be the same.

That's why many people recommend low dose topical finasteride (cf. my post).

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some users have experienced less sides on topical than on oral. Others have experienced just as much sides.

In any case, don't fool yourself: if you opt for high concentration topical (> 0,025%), the long term harm it could cause on your health are pretty much the same as oral. My firm belief is that the probability of PFS occurrence would be the same.

That's why many people recommend low dose topical finasteride (cf. my post).
What’s a good safe dose for topical

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finally some good, solid advice instead of the same standard "just pop oral fina bro, no problem taking a life time long hormonal treatment to save hair bro" advice we hear for 15+ years now.

It's still one of the few scientifically established ways of tackling hair loss, i would say topical finasteride is a much better solution than zix, better to make sure you are using the only proven method of maintaining hair than possibly spending 6 months applying an unproven topical and losing hair, it's usually always easier to maintain than grow back. I spent 11 months on finasteride and never maintained, i can only imagine what damage would have been done to my hair if i listened to people telling me to use zix instead of finasteride, my crown would be toast. I guess if the OP wants to try zix that's his choice but i would always say finasteride should be the main line of defense against hair loss.

Last edited:

James Sullivan

My Regimen
Reaction score
You NEED to get a script for additional Finasteride 5mg tablets to be used topically! Take a 12 pill count of 5mg tablets, put them in a 60 milliliter bottle of minoxidil. Let them dissolve completely. Apply one milliliter per day to your scalp and rub it in (you can do 2 times if you need or want). This will stop the continued loss. Remember, the problem is ANDROGENIC Alopecia. Key word is ANDROGEN!!! You NEED to apply an ANTI-ANDROGEN to the area to combat it. Remember, there are lots of "anti DHT" treatments, but Finasteride is the ONLY one that is approved for hair loss treatment and is consistent and widely available. You can get pre formulated "solutions" from what is known as a compounding pharmacy (Example: Formula 82F for about $350 for 3 month supply), but I personally like adding the pills myself so I know exactly what I've got and can add strength if I need too. The strength of 12 pills is .1%. The strength of adding 30 pills would be .25%. Best of luck! Hope this finds you well!

PS: I have been on 5mg finasteride and .5 mg dutasteride and minoxidil for 12 years and the only times I have had positive results and no shedding is when I added topical antiandrogens to my treatment.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You NEED to get a script for additional Finasteride 5mg tablets to be used topically! Take a 12 pill count of 5mg tablets, put them in a 60 milliliter bottle of minoxidil. Let them dissolve completely. Apply one milliliter per day to your scalp and rub it in (you can do 2 times if you need or want). This will stop the continued loss. Remember, the problem is ANDROGENIC Alopecia. Key word is ANDROGEN!!! You NEED to apply an ANTI-ANDROGEN to the area to combat it. Remember, there are lots of "anti DHT" treatments, but Finasteride is the ONLY one that is approved for hair loss treatment and is consistent and widely available. You can get pre formulated "solutions" from what is known as a compounding pharmacy (Example: Formula 82F for about $350 for 3 month supply), but I personally like adding the pills myself so I know exactly what I've got and can add strength if I need too. The strength of 12 pills is .1%. The strength of adding 30 pills would be .25%. Best of luck! Hope this finds you well!

PS: I have been on 5mg finasteride and .5 mg dutasteride and minoxidil for 12 years and the only times I have had positive results and no shedding is when I added topical antiandrogens to my treatment.
So do you recommend I only use the topical
mixed with minoxidil?

James Sullivan

My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s a good safe dose for topical
Typical dose is .25% finasteride. This is equivalent to putting a 30 count of 5 mg pills into 60 ml of minoxidil.

This guy has a video showing him mixing it up and the results of 1, 2, 3, and 4 months with positive gains

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaQxYS9swxGYXVRETlelu3g

Here are links to premade solutions and their results. Formula 82F for about $350 for 3 month supply with prescription.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/cx3owc/formula_82f_5_months_of_use/

https://www.baumanmedical.com/product/topical-finasteride/

James Sullivan

My Regimen
Reaction score
So do you recommend I only use the topical
mixed with minoxidil?

MY recommendation is to stay on the oral propecia, and then also ADD the finasteride pills into liquid minoxidil and apply it daily. Depending on you current stage of loss, start with 12 pills of finasteride in one full bottle of minoxidil for the .1% finasteride solution. Try that for a month and check you progress. If you don't see results when that bottle is finished, then add more to the next months treatment. You would put a full 30 count of 5mg finasteride in a 60ml bottle of minoxidil, and apply daily for a month and monitor results.

You could alternatively try to use a "premade" solution like formula 82F, but I don't prefer this method because the "Fate" of you hair is relying on other people and they may change the mixture in the future and then you'll lose hair and not know why and go crazy trying to figure it out. In my opinion, self reliance is essential in this battle!!! Also, if you have any trouble getting the larger prescription from a regular doctor, go to a hair transplant doctor and they will definitely write it for you.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
MY recommendation is to stay on the oral propecia, and then also ADD the finasteride pills into liquid minoxidil and apply it daily. Depending on you current stage of loss, start with 12 pills of finasteride in one full bottle of minoxidil for the .1% finasteride solution. Try that for a month and check you progress. If you don't see results when that bottle is finished, then add more to the next months treatment. You would put a full 30 count of 5mg finasteride in a 60ml bottle of minoxidil, and apply daily for a month and monitor results.

You could alternatively try to use a "premade" solution like formula 82F, but I don't prefer this method because the "Fate" of you hair is relying on other people and they may change the mixture in the future and then you'll lose hair and not know why and go crazy trying to figure it out. In my opinion, self reliance is essential in this battle!!! Also, if you have any trouble getting the larger prescription from a regular doctor, go to a hair transplant doctor and they will definitely write it for you.
What about using .1% with 5% minoxidil and not using oral right now?

James Sullivan

My Regimen
Reaction score
YES! That will work to some extent based on studies like the one below. Based on your pictures, you are still young and have enough hair to test only Topical without oral finasteride. I am 32 and don't want to "risk" getting off oral to find out, but for your case, you have a full head of hair still so you can test the waters by switching and if you start to "shed" hair for any extended period of time (more than a week of continued shedding) then you can get back on the oral finasteride in addition to the topical. In my experience, with hair loss, treatments either work or they don't. If a new treatment is working, you should at least see "signs" rather quickly. If it's working, within 2 weeks, you should not be shedding any large quantities of hair, and maybe even start to see new little tiny baby hair growing in places where it was lost. I've tried the whole, wait it out and it will eventually work in 5 months idea, and that's a path to nowhere in my experience. If a treatment is working, you should know it relatively quickly. Any complete regrowth will take time of course, but signs its working should be noticed. If you don't SEE those INDICATIONS of progress, that means its getting worse.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26636418

TheHairLossMaster

My Regimen
Reaction score
;)
I’m 18 years old and have started thinning at the temples. It’s not too bad yet but I want to stop it early. It’s still noticeable to the public eye. Pictures below

I’m deciding between two different regimens. I only want to do topicals because I’m trying to limit sides.

Take first option is topical finasteride. I would
likely make my own and use .1% finasteride 5% minoxidil and apply it once a day 1mL (1mg finasteride). I’ve heard this has a low chance of side effects. I would also dermaroll 1.5mm once a week and use nazoral shampoo twice a week. Also is it true topical reduces side effects?

The second option is zix. The reason I’m considering this is because I’m still early and would maybe start something with no sides that could still work well. I’m curious what formula to
use if I try this. I would still use the shampoo and dermaroll but I don’t know if I should use it with minoxidil.

These are the two options I’m deciding between. Please help me with feedback of which one I should try first and storied from if anyone has tried these. Thanks! Pictures below to show where it’s at.
I would try alfatradiol and ketoconazole 2% shampoo since your starting early.I’m 20 now and I wish I would have jumped on an
anti androgen before I lost my temples. Minoxidil can’t save temples only helps temporarily for the temples at least for me. Plus minoxidil is aggravating because it has to be applied twice a day and it can make your skin age. So if you do decide to use minoxidil make sure you wipe your forehead of any minoxidil that rolls onto it.;) Zix may be worth a try though

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
YES! That will work to some extent based on studies like the one below. Based on your pictures, you are still young and have enough hair to test only Topical without oral finasteride. I am 32 and don't want to "risk" getting off oral to find out, but for your case, you have a full head of hair still so you can test the waters by switching and if you start to "shed" hair for any extended period of time (more than a week of continued shedding) then you can get back on the oral finasteride in addition to the topical. In my experience, with hair loss, treatments either work or they don't. If a new treatment is working, you should at least see "signs" rather quickly. If it's working, within 2 weeks, you should not be shedding any large quantities of hair, and maybe even start to see new little tiny baby hair growing in places where it was lost. I've tried the whole, wait it out and it will eventually work in 5 months idea, and that's a path to nowhere in my experience. If a treatment is working, you should know it relatively quickly. Any complete regrowth will take time of course, but signs its working should be noticed. If you don't SEE those INDICATIONS of progress, that means its getting worse.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26636418
Ok thanks, just to clarify I’ve never used oral (or any medication) so I wouldn’t be stopping it