Which procedure is more painful? Strip or FUE?

G

Gill i have noticed in the last week that the back of my head feels tight? I have never felt this before since i had the procedures and the stiches were in and it felt like that for a few months? Its worrying me now! any suggestions or have you heard of it?

Damo

G

Hey Falc yup its me mate,hows things going.Nah didnt go back for a third didnt need to. With my scalp i mean it starts to feel tight now after nearly 17 months since i had it done? Just recently its started to feel tightish is that normal or whats your thoughts?

Damo

G

Damo,

You know in nearly three decades I have heard just about everything in post-op conditions. What you are experiencing may be more related to your nerves in the dermis, but it's hard to say. I do know that there is always a variance in patients' post-op experience including regaining laxity. Nerves are severed during the procedure, and they do mend themselves and even regrow to some extent, but again, the time table can vary. IMO, you have nothing to worry about. See your Doctor if it does get any worse in discomfort.

Some patients like Falc regain laxity relatively quickly and others take much longer. I have been through four hair transplants myself and can tell you that I am still as tight 11 months post-op. If I do any touch ups, it will take FUE.

Yes you can do scalp excercises that stretch the scalp, but unless you are in any discomfort, there's really no need to.

Now if you do decided on another procedure sometime in the future, you may very well indeed need to do these or you will be a FUE candidate like myself.

G

Thanks for your advice Gill much appreciated. It just weird after all this time the back of my head has felt fine and in the last couple of weeks it feels like it tight and the more i think and worry about it the more it feels tight!

Damo

G

How do i test its laxity? I have got a current one from like a month ago now how do i put a picture on here again lol.

Damo

omarshari

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I got my hair transplant done.. It was ok not as much pain as I had before.. The Doctor put HEAPS of anesthetic so I was completely numb..

So, I want to ask about the whole minoxidil/dermatch after surgery thing.. How long should I wait to use and apply these things on my grafts?

G

I was using Minoxidil about 2 weeks after my surgery maybe even before that .

Damo

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Damo... testing laxity... pinch the donor area of your scalp between your fingers. Can you pinch it and actually gather some scalp between your fingers or is it too tight to gather anything?

If you were to pinch your stomach and "pinch an inch" then you have stomach laxity. Same concept... If you can "pinch" anything in your scalp then you have laxity. The more you can pinch the more lax you have. :shock:

G

I can just pinch it not very easy though but some movement there. I have been doing weights for last 6 months and recently found my head to be tight at the back all of a sudden.I have stopped doing weights now as i gather this has tightened the back of my head up. My question is that now i have stopped the feeling should go back to normal hey?The scar should slowly stretch out again hey!

Damien

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr. Harris... my doctor states that it would be highly unlikely that you would lose laxity secondary to weight lifting.

G

Ask Dr Harris that my head has tightened up abit because i have been doing weights but i have stopped it now.They said the skin will gradually strech out and feel normal again soon.

Damo

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok here is Dr. Harris's response Damo:

"Tom,

It would be very unusual for a patient that has had a strip surgery not to
feel tight for 2-3 months following the surgery. Sometimes the tightness can
be masked by the fact that the area is numb and once the numbness resolves
the area feels tight. However, the healing process could conceivably cause
some tightening during the early scar formation, but I have a hard time
reasoning why the "tightening" would be any more intense than the sensation
of the sutures right after the surgery. It is highly unlikely that neck
motion and straining would pull the incision area as it is fixed by the
galea and wouldn't move during neck motion.

I don't think anyone could say for sure whether or not lifting weights would
cause this, but of all the patients I have done using a strip (a good
percentage of them lift weights) I have never had a patient notice that the
tightness increased with lifting.

I doubt that it is a sign of anything going wrong and I don't think that we
can pinpoint the cause.

Dr. Harris"

headbanger guy

Reaction score
Just to add, few days or weeks after FUE, there may be a little discomfort on the donor area due to nerve damage. This could be a part of the phenomenon called neuropraxia (although no actual movement damage, just a little of sensory damage).

G

Damo,

It's relatively hard to test your own laxity accurately, but rather have someone else do it. You may think your scalp feels tighter than it really is. As long as your scar healed well, you're okay.

I just read Dr. Harris' comments and the thing with you Damo is that you are far past the 2-3 months post-op. The more procedures we have, the more tighter we become because the scalp will only stretch so far.

Remeber, it's not the weight lifting that will make you tight, it's more potential to stretch the linear scar. That's why weight lifting has to be careful. Certain routines like working the shoulders can put undo tention on the scar. Things like sit-ups, toe-touching, etc are no-no's.

G

DO NOT apply minoxidil until you are at least two weeks post-op. If you are a slow healer, wait a bit longer. Just make sure all of the scabbing is completely gone. Do not apply if they is any bleeding whatsoever. :freaked:

Dermatch is the same rule. Make sure the epidermis is completely healed.