Which Norwood scale am I, and other questions...

pcmhair

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm 35 and it hit me about a year ago that the top of my head is thinning a little. It's not really thinning in one particular spot, but generally all over the top. I immediately started finasteride and it hasn't gotten any worse over the past year. I don't have any daily shedding like hair on the pillow, shower, while combing, etc (and didn't have any before finasteride).

I've had no side effects from the finasteride (wang still works...) and it actually had an unintended positive side effect. I have/had a lot of dryness problems around the nose, side of eyes, beard my whole adult life and over the past 4-5 months has almost totally gone away. The dermatologist says it's because the DHT has reduced the oil levels in my face causing it.

I have a very dry scalp (seborrheic dermatitis). I have been using prescription ketoconazole shampoo and selinium sulfide shampoo on a daily basis for probably 10 years. I will use one for a couple years then switch when it becomes less effective. For the last two years I've been using the selinium sulfide and I'm going to switch back to the ketoconazole this week. I read that it is one of the top items to have in a hair loss regimen, so having the prescription version will be great and cheap! My dermatologist has recommended that I switch more frequently, every 3 or 6 months instead of years.

My first question is which Norwood scale am I? I look at the pictures of the scale but am pretty stumped as to which I should pick? I've attached a picture.

After reading on this forum the Tricomin product seems like it would be really great to not only regrow hair but also help with my dry scalp problem. Since I already have a shampoo would I benefit from both the Tricomin conditioner and spray or is only one needed? The conditioner is cheaper but maybe the spray lasts a long time.
My dermatologist also recommend that I start on rogaine foam along with my finasteride. He says that with the amount of hair I have I will not see any shedding. Reading these forums on rogaine sounds terrifying with the shedding stories. Does anyone have the same amount of hair as me that can comment on rogaine shedding?

I have about 100 tabs open with posts from here and I'm going to spend the evening reading up and see what I learn. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Attachments

• 20141130_134630.jpg
    20141130_134630.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 328

hermandolol

Reaction score
Norwood-1 diffuse thinning. I also feel like you should give rogaine a try. I have rarely seen that people shed a lot of hair on rogaine, most of the time it thickens up the hair.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you are a diffuse thinner and don't fit on the norwood scale but you would eventually be a norwood 6 if you did not start treatment. Rogaine/minoxidil is a good option if you want the max regrowth possible. cant say I know anything about tricomin