Which 'natural' Solutions Should I Try Before finasteride/min?

wtfeverynameistaken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty much I'm 21 with a bit of recession and I want it to slow it but I'm not willing to do finasteride or minoxodil. I mean, maybe I will be, but not yet. (Please respect this, I'm not willing to start either yet, I've heard too many bad things and even if there's a low chance of them happening I'm not ready to take that risk YET). I at least want to try a few natural things before jumping on finasteride or minoxidil.

What are the best natural things for me to try? I know, I know - only the big 3 work. But there's nothing natural that can slow/disguise it? Hell even if I just slowed it for a few years, I just don't want to keep receding dramatically this young.

So far I'm thinking of trying the following:

* DHT Blocking Shampoo (Nizoral?)
* DHT blocking supplement (Not finasteride)
* Biotin vitamin
* Nutrofol Vitamin
* Nioxin

Anyone have any feedback on the above, or any you would add?

Thanks!

wtfeverynameistaken

My Regimen
Reaction score
That and minoxidil
For some reason in my head I'm more likely to take finasteride than try minoxidil, but idk why I think just the annoyance of having to apply minoxodil every day. And I've heard people have headaches, brain fog and that type of thing. Might have to look into more though

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any supplement you take that blocks DHT systemically would just be getting from point A to point B but in a different car. People report sides taking saw palmetto for instance.

nizoral alone may help a tiny bit. Biotin and MSM make hair grow faster in my experience but no real change in density or regrowth.

S14a

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take saw palmetto as I dont want to take finasteride, however my understand is it is a very small percentage as effective as finasteride.
Also take MSM, Biotin, Zinc and topical minoxidil daily.

inmyhead

Reaction score
I take saw palmetto as I dont want to take finasteride, however my understand is it is a very small percentage as effective as finasteride.
Also take MSM, Biotin, Zinc and topical minoxidil daily.
Not much research on MSM...

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not much research on MSM...

I first heard about it from forums for women with long hair. I've used it with and without biotin a couple of times now over the years and for some reason the two together noticeably make my hair and nails grow faster.

wtfeverynameistaken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone! Any other suggestions?

Two things I've also found in the meantime are Peppermint Oil which I'm thinking of trying because why not, and also something called Neo Hair Lotion which is apparently popular for hairloss in Thailand

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone! Any other suggestions?

Two things I've also found in the meantime are Peppermint Oil which I'm thinking of trying because why not, and also something called Neo Hair Lotion which is apparently popular for hairloss in Thailand

As long as you're realistic and aware that you are most likely wasting your time with snake oil nonsense.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In my experience the only things that work are the essential oils, rosemary and peppermint with jojoba oil for better penetration, they promote better hair growth And give a similar result like minoxidil 2%.
Ideally, you need to take 1mg finasteride, to stop the hormone to killing your hairs and than enhace results with oils. Saw palmetto or its too weak or it does nothing. Waste of money.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
we all make the mistake to look for natural solutions first, then 3 norwoods later the fire alarm starts sounding.
Beware of that. But it also depends on your pattern and how agressive your hairloss is. Oh and Make sure you have male pattern baldness first because bit of recession does not necessarily mean you have AAG ; )

thickhaironhead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its more like "we all" make the mistake and jump on finas and minoxidil at first. Most pple def go this route instead of trying naturals at first.
Then the sides start kicking in and many search for alternatives.

wtfeverynameistaken

My Regimen
Reaction score
we all make the mistake to look for natural solutions first, then 3 norwoods later the fire alarm starts sounding.
Beware of that. But it also depends on your pattern and how agressive your hairloss is. Oh and Make sure you have male pattern baldness first because bit of recession does not necessarily mean you have AAG ; )
Its more like "we all" make the mistake and jump on finas and minoxidil at first. Most pple def go this route instead of trying naturals at first.
Then the sides start kicking in and many search for alternatives.

Haha yeah I get what both of you are saying. My mindset was that okay eventually I'll probably try finasteride, but I'd be mad at myself if I didn't at least try some natural stuff first seeing there's way more risks with finasteride and minoxidil.

and kiwipilu you make a good point, I think I'm freaking out as I'm seeing a bit of recession and I had a high hairline already - it's very possible it's just maturing I guess - although my temples have receeded quite dramatically and I've noticed my hair all over has got slightly less thick - but still no one has ever said anything and I can't see through my hair at all unless it's wet.

Honestly not too sure what to do