Which impacts hair loss more, Scalp DHT or Serum DHT?

Quigleymcjones

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really don't understand the difference between the two in regards to the hair loss process. Also I was doing research and found this finding:

"Scalp DHT decreased by 51% with 0.5-mg Dutasteride and by 79% with 2.5-mg Dutasteride.

Scalp testosterone levels significantly increased in all active treatment groups compared with placebo, increasing by 23%, 39%, 99%, and 222% with 0.05-, 0.1-, 0.5 and 2.5-mg Dutasteride, respectively, and 23% with Finasteride."

Regarding the high dose Dutasteride, could increasing your scalp testosterone by this much have adverse effects for your hair? On a whim I doubled my dutasteride dose to 1 mg a day, though I know it shouldn't make much of a difference. But could the boost in scalp test worsen things?

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If that boost in testosterone makes things worse then dutasteride should worsen people hair while in most cases it doesn't. I think that androgen receptor in people with androgenetic alopecia is occupied with testosterone and DHT all the time while with dutasteride or finasteride it is occupied mostly with testosterone which is far less androgenic than DHT so thats enough to stop hair loss. Smaller amount of DHT is stronger in terms of androgenic effects (like hair loss, beard growth) than higher level of testosterone (to some degree of course). Also increasing test and not allowing it to became DHT you also opening possibility for that testosterone to aromatise into estradiol. I think most studies which measure serum DHT in people with male alopecia found no correlation (so it has probably smaller impact)