Which hormones cause skin problems?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
So it's been 6 months since I quit finasteride for good... my face skin is acting really weird since then, it's very oily around the nose area and nothing seems to help, I can't even get all the grease off and my pores are blocked. I never had oily skin before finasteride, vice versa, my skin was almost painfully dry and I never had pimples or blackheads on my nose. Has finasteride cause any skin issues on anyone else?

amsch

Reaction score
I have the EXACT damn problem. Lot of blackheads on/around the nose, bigger pimples on the same places. And skin is extreme oily around that area, especially in the morning.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
ghg said:
So it's been 6 months since I quit finasteride for good... my face skin is acting really weird since then, it's very oily around the nose area and nothing seems to help, I can't even get all the grease off and my pores are blocked. I never had oily skin before finasteride, vice versa, my skin was almost painfully dry and I never had pimples or blackheads on my nose. Has finasteride cause any skin issues on anyone else?

You're such a finasteride basher.

Its called a poor diet and poor skin care.

amsch

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
ghg said:

This has to be true if it's said by someone with an eating disorder. You getting dizzy from rogaine is just a diet problem, right?

IBM

Reaction score
i have it too badly. But since finasteride and oral spironolactone my skin became better. But i still have significant amounts of oil in my face and hair.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
ghg said:

I probably have much healthier diet than you and I don't use any harsh chemicals on my face at all. Use common sense, mr. Harvard... finasteride affects hormones and hormones have a very important role in almost everything in us.

amsch said:
I have the EXACT damn problem. Lot of blackheads on/around the nose, bigger pimples on the same places. And skin is extreme oily around that area, especially in the morning.

Do you/have you used finasteride and do you think it added to the problem? I know some ppl have these skin problems naturally but I don't recall having 'em before finasteride.

ttroy

Reaction score
Well doesn't DHT have a large effect on the sebacious glands and your DHT has increased since dropping finasteride..so that might have something to do with it. I always had very oily, dark and thick skin but ever since on finasteride and especially after dropping it, my skin has been extremely pale, dry and light brownish. Does not look as youthful as before.

amsch

Reaction score
ghg said:
amsch said:

Do you/have you used finasteride and do you think it added to the problem? I know some ppl have these skin problems naturally but I don't recall having 'em before finasteride.

No, did not have this problem before, never had big problems with acne.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
amsch said:
ghg said:
amsch said:

No, did not have this problem before, never had big problems with acne.

So you haven't used finasteride and the acne is purely cause by hormones? Might be the case for me too, who really knows? I used to wash my face like 5-10 times a day with soap so it could be that I just didn't notice the greasiness. Now I wash my face with mild, non-drying stuff like 2-3 times (morning, before bed and during day if I have exercised).

amsch

Reaction score
I think so. My Doctor told me that an increase in estrogen can lead to acne problems. And my estrogen lvl exploded while on finasteride, so i stopped.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
amsch said:
I think so. My Doctor told me that an increase in estrogen can lead to acne problems. And my estrogen lvl exploded while on finasteride, so i stopped.

I bet I have the same problem, that would also explain the gyno.

amsch

Reaction score
Yeah, i had a slight gyno as well (but just on my left breast). You should definately check your hormonal lvl's, ghg.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
amsch said:
Yeah, i had a slight gyno as well (but just on my left breast). You should definately check your hormonal lvl's, ghg.

The left side is my problem area too, but I think I've always had kinda unbalanced body, i.e the left side of my body tends to gain fat easier than the right side.

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to add this (since pretty much no one ever does);
I take finasteride, and my skin as never looked better (not since like 12 or something atleast, and im 24).

Probably only due to me using sunscreen and stuff, but my point is finasteride generally should not mess up your skin.