which base is more prone to shedding? Poly or lace?

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have lace with poly on sides and back, just an inch or so for the tape. The poly seems to retain hair much better than lace

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My UTS sheds quickly at the hairline, noticeable certainly after 6 to 8 weeks. Generally the system holds up well for 6 months or so (with maintenance), but it's just the hairline that lets it down sooner.

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My UTS sheds quickly at the hairline, noticeable certainly after 6 to 8 weeks. Generally the system holds up well for 6 months or so (with maintenance), but it's just the hairline that lets it down sooner.
Why is that?!

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your maintenance routine? How often do you rinse/wash/condition (not leave-in) the unit?

Noah

Reaction score
In my experience speed of shedding is connected with how the hairs are joined to the base. Knotted systems last about the same irrespective of whether the base is poly or lace. But injected and V-looped systems (always poly) have a much shorter lifespan.

Noah

Reaction score
No. From the manufacturing point of view it's just a cheaper less durable technique.

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
What would you recommend then given the current scarcity of lace systems? Would 0.05mm poly be less prone to shedding? And also, how would a monofilament system compare to other system in terms of its propensity to shedding? QQ

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What would you recommend then given the current scarcity of lace systems? Would 0.05mm poly be less prone to shedding? And also, how would a monofilament system compare to other system in terms of its propensity to shedding? QQ
I can easily get lace still.