Which 5% Minoxidil liquid do you use and how greasy is it?

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using Target generic 5% Minoxidil liquid for about 7 months now. It leaves my hair pretty greasy for an hour or more. I also use Rogaine Foam now in the mornings because it dries super fast. I want to keep using the liquid at night because I think I can get it to the scalp better and it is cheaper.

I didn't see much when I did a search for "greasy" on this board.

I'm just about out of the Target liquid. What should I try next? Please tell me what you use, how greasy it is, and how long it takes to dry.

Thanks!

ShedMaster

Reaction score
honestly I think they are all pretty much the exact same. You may get different opinions on this but i think the generic and brand name rogaine liquid minoxidil are very very close to the same thing. I am beginning to wonder whether the foam is less or more effective then the liquid version even though its much easier to use based on users responses.

CCS

Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
I am beginning to wonder whether the foam is less or more effective then the liquid version even though its much easier to use based on users responses.

I think the only reason it is more effective is people actually use it twice a day, every day, whereas it is tempting to miss doses of the liquid. But it is entirely possible that delivery is different, so maybe one of them is better than the other.

bathtbgin

Reaction score
Re:

collegechemistrystudent said:
ShedMaster said:
I am beginning to wonder whether the foam is less or more effective then the liquid version even though its much easier to use based on users responses.

I think the only reason it is more effective is people actually use it twice a day, every day, whereas it is tempting to miss doses of the liquid. But it is entirely possible that delivery is different, so maybe one of them is better than the other.

apply to dry hair, wait two hours before going to bed...yeah when i get home at 11 thats exactly what i want to deal with. why does the foam have to smell so bad.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I've been using spectral dnc 2x daily for the last 6 months. Dries quickly - no fuss, no muss. I've been reading where some guys are starting to lose faith in the stuff though. After 6 months, it ain't helped me none - (I know 6 months isn't long enough to make a solid determination).

Prior to spectral - I was on Dr. Lee's #500 5% minoxidil. Good stuff - non- greasy and quick drying.

I think my new plan is to cut the spectral back to 1x daily, and get a bottle of Dr. Lee's #500 minoxidil to which I'll add Joe Zix's homemade scalpmed brew 1x daily.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been trying CVS 5% Minoxidil for about a week and it seems just about the same as the Target brand. That should come as no surprise as they are both 30% alcohol and 50% propylene glycol.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
I checked WalMart's Equate Minoxidil and it had 30% alcohol and 50% propylene glycol too. The Rogaine minoxidil liquid didn't give percentages.

Has anyone tried either the WalMart or Rogaine liquid and how were they?

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
kirkland 5% minoxidil every night.. not that bad. when i wake up its just dry hair

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
Jojje said:
kirkland 5% minoxidil every night.. not that bad. when i wake up its just dry hair

Thanks Jojje. I would hope your hair dries overnight :) I am looking for something that dries much faster than the hour it seems to take Target and CVS liquid minoxidil to dry.

Does your Kirkland minoxidil list the percentages of alcohol and propylene glycol? How long would you say it takes to dry?

beaner

Reaction score
All of the store brands contain exactly the same ratio of ingredients....30% alchohol, 50% ppg, and 20% water. If you're looking for one with less PPG you will not find it unless it is the 2% minoxidil.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Londo said:
Jojje said:

Thanks Jojje. I would hope your hair dries overnight :) I am looking for something that dries much faster than the hour it seems to take Target and CVS liquid minoxidil to dry.

Does your Kirkland minoxidil list the percentages of alcohol and propylene glycol? How long would you say it takes to dry?

well i have midle long hair so i waste alot.. use spray not dropper so for me it takes about 2 hours to dry, thats wy i use foam in mornings.. dries in less then 5 min.