wheyface33's Story

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 19 and balding. Talk about tragic...well in a self-absorbed, insecure kind of way. I find myself looking in every mirror...everything that can be used as a mirror...checking to see if my baldness is showing. Everywhere I go I look at other guys' hair...feeling alright when I see another bald or balding guy and feeling anger and jealousy when I see a full head of hair. Why me...why now? Some days I take a look at myself and say, "Oh, you're fine, no worries yet." Some days I feel like I look like a freak...throw on a hat...go to class. I'm in college, the time when you're supposed to go out there and experience and live life, but I find myself pondering the amount of hairs on my head more than most other things. Male pattern baldness...the words make me cringe. Its not life threatening, no...but lifestyle threatening. I've had to rearrange a lot of my daily life. Its struck me with such biting insecurity that it is actually affecting everything I do.

Baldness runs on both sides of my family so I knew it was coming, but it started when I was only 17. I hadn't even grown to the full height I eventually grew to and already I was losing hair. Yes, I know there are much worse cases...I still have most of my hair but have receded a decent amount at my temples. But in the eye of the beholder...it feels like no one could be worse off than one's self. My older brother went through the same thing at the same age but I never noticed because his hair was really long. Its starting to show a bit now though. I fear my younger brother's fate and will soon advise him and try to help him to avert this...disease. He has great hair, hair like I had...damn.

I've never had any problem with women, I feel like its fair to say I was a fairly good-looking guy. But lately this male pattern baldness is eating away at me: my confidence, my want to go out; I'm not as generally happy any more. I just feel old...too old for what I actually am. I've always been concerned with how I look, I like to look good. I try to dress as well as I can, very clean cut. But I'm almost at the point where styling my fairly short hair is going to seem pointless. I'm about a Norwood 2 right now. No balding in the crown at all. Only receding at the temples...extremely slight thinning in the frontal area. I still have some of the hair in my temple area but its gotten so thin its hard to see or manage. Here is where you all come in (besides being great listeners :p )....

My goal is to basically if I can to maintain what I have as it isn't so bad. But, if I could regrow some of the hair back or strengthen those thinned ones, that would be awesome. I've waited long enough, no more self-consciousness...its time to battle geneology with science instead of...procrastination and self-pity. So heres what I need advice on...

1. I'm in college, money isn't exactly just laying around waiting to be spent. What is a cost-effective regimen that could help me achieve my goals? Also...I'm pretty...insecure about this and I live with 3 of my best friends at the university and if at all possible I'd like to keep them in the dark on this, if possible...I know it sounds childish.

2. Is there any hope or am I fighting a losing battle? Anyone else here in similar shoes as me? Any one had good results that were in similar shoes?

3. Any words of advice or comfort are gladly accepted...this is hard for all of us, outsiders don't understand our pain.

I have done extensive research largely thanks to this site (to the creator(s), if you are reading, you have no idea the comfort and answers you provide the public, you are doing an invaluable service, and I solemnly thank you), so I know whos who and whats what. I just want to get some advice from real people. Statistics are good, but they're still statistics. I like to see results, not read them. Please...help!

Any extra info or comments you think I should hear are welcomed, lemme know anything!

Oh, and keep fighting the good fight.

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
...?

anyone?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Another Uni student eh? There is a single word you should get use to - and that's GENERIC.

Start off with Proscar, and split that into fours and eat one a day. And if you have particularly bad holes in your head, add Minoxidil only to that area, and only that area! Throw in some TGel, and you should be fine.

Proscar (120AUD / yr)
Generic Minoxidil (200AUD / yr)
TGel (50 / yr)

Total - $370. And thats a fair price... good luck!

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
Rage said:
Another Uni student eh? There is a single word you should get use to - and that's GENERIC.

Start off with Proscar, and split that into fours and eat one a day. And if you have particularly bad holes in your head, add Minoxidil only to that area, and only that area! Throw in some TGel, and you should be fine.

Proscar (120AUD / yr)
Generic Minoxidil (200AUD / yr)
TGel (50 / yr)

Total - $370. And thats a fair price... good luck!

Rage, I see you're on the same regimen. How long have you been on it, and how are things going so far? Thanks a lot for the reply too. :)

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel ya bro, it can really take a toll on social activity, but the best advice I can give you is to start a regimin and go on with life as normal, dont let hairloss stop you from doing anything that you would normally or with a full head of hair, you will regret it later on in life, best of luck to ya, stay positive.....

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
wheyface33 said:
Rage, I see you're on the same regimen. How long have you been on it, and how are things going so far? Thanks a lot for the reply too. :)

Been on it about 1.5 months.. no complaints so far!

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
jblig said:
I feel ya bro, it can really take a toll on social activity, but the best advice I can give you is to start a regimin and go on with life as normal, dont let hairloss stop you from doing anything that you would normally or with a full head of hair, you will regret it later on in life, best of luck to ya, stay positive.....

Thanks for the advice...I'm doin what I can, I think its the initial stages that are the worst until I just accept it.

Also forgot to ask you Rage, or anyone else that knows for that matter, where can I get proscar and do I need a prescription? Also, what minoxidil solution would you recommend? 2%? 5%? Other? Thanks man!

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
...?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Well in Australia, you need a prescription. Got mine from the doctors.. and the tablets from the local pharmacy. Online sources are cheaper, but find a good one..

And Minoxidil 5% all the way!