Where To Get Good Affordable Hair System

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been wearing a hair system now for about 5yrs and i really am very happy. I was using a company based in the UK for about 3yrs of that , but the hair systems where costing me £450 every time i had to change it , so every 3-4mths... and it became really expensive, so i looked around and managed to find Hairbro who are really good and affordable, their stock system are only USD 175 and they are pretty amazing.. the hairline and density ( medium light ) is great.. HOWEVER i find that they are not lasting longer then 2-3mths at best and tend to shed hair alot after about 2mths and the hair quality is hit and miss. So i need to find that good balance.

I tried Hollywood lace but the hairlines where so bad on there and i tend to have a hairstyle that exposes the hairline.. hence why hairbro is so good as they have that down perfectly .

thought i would see if anyone was using anywhere good and affordable they could recommend. cheers guys .. A

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I pay around £300 per piece and have been getting 8 to 10 months each for the last 5-years. Quality is consistent but its pretty much DIY apart from the cut in. Current piece was cut in last Oct and very little shedding. Your shedding experience is unacceptable.

PM sent

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I pay around £300 per piece and have been getting 8 to 10 months each for the last 5-years. Quality is consistent but its pretty much DIY apart from the cut in. Current piece was cut in last Oct and very little shedding. Your shedding experience is unacceptable.

PM sent
thanks so much for this reply , never used these guys before , but i will def get in touch with them. What is the hair quality like?

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score
Albar05,

What system did you have from Hollywood Lace? I’m a little concerned since Ive ordered my first system from them, which is scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

David

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Albar05,

What system did you have from Hollywood Lace? I’m a little concerned since Ive ordered my first system from them, which is scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

David
Hey David,

TBH i ordered a stock system , swiss lace , but i had been using a CC contour on the hair line from Hairbro ,and really liked it, BUT the hair on the hollywoodlace system is really good.. super silky and just looked so good, BUT the hairline for me just didnt work well with my exposed hairline, i also found the knots not bleached well on it.

In Comparison to the Hairbro system , which has a tuely awesome hair line, BUT , the hair in my opinion is not as good as hollywood lace AND i have found it sheds really bad after about 2 months.. so they are great but you will need to replace them after about 2-3mths! I am desperate to find a sysmte that lasts for more then 3 months, the shedding is driving me nuts! I have only really done stock systems, as i have been trying to keep the cost down, but i think its time to look at better alternatives tbh.

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! I ordered a custom Swiss lace but am planning on a brushed back style. I’m hoping it works out.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I ordered a custom Swiss lace but am planning on a brushed back style. I’m hoping it works out.
Im sure it will be great, just make sure you get the knots bleached in the front for sure.. i wear a blonde system which generally comes with bleached knots due tothe colour , but dark systems can sometimes be a problem if they dont bleach the knotts :) so make sure to get those bleached. Let me know how it goes, would love to hear your feedback , not used them for about a year so maybe things have improved, OR i just got a bad experience, its all a game with this hair system stuff.. pot luck ha ha

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im sure it will be great, just make sure you get the knots bleached in the front for sure.. i wear a blonde system which generally comes with bleached knots due tothe colour , but dark systems can sometimes be a problem if they dont bleach the knotts :) so make sure to get those bleached. Let me know how it goes, would love to hear your feedback , not used them for about a year so maybe things have improved, OR i just got a bad experience, its all a game with this hair system stuff.. pot luck ha ha

Knots are NEVER bleached with blond hair, only darker hair, and only where needed, usually (hairline, parting and crown). Some companies will bleach the entire system (quicker = cheaper).

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheap, but very good, systems can be found for as ~100 USD on eBay and Amazon.
honestly i would be very dubious about buying a system on Amazon or Ebay as the quality would probably be very hit or miss, and as i wear a very exposed hairline, i need it to be a good one that does not shed after 2-3 months... but still be affordable to last you around 4-6 mths would be ideal, as i am finding the quality of hair on alot of these system is really bad , i dont know if its because its indian hair and not Remy , or because i should maybe pay that little bit extra for european... thoughts on that ?

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Knots are NEVER bleached with blond hair, only darker hair, and only where needed, usually (hairline, parting and crown). Some companies will bleach the entire system (quicker = cheaper).
this is what i meant .. on blonde hair the knots are already bleached due to the colour of the hair but on dark systems you need to make sure they are bleached as you can normally see dots on the hair line or crown.. :) i wish ALL systems where bleached all over that would be the best result.. :)

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For a swiss lace unit, 3 months is the norm..
I have tried different suppliers, both stock and custom and more or less the same situation as yours. You may try knot sealers which are supposed to seal the knot and make them more solid...tried that, and not much of a difference. I switched to synthetic and shedding is less as the fibers are stronger than processed hair. Keeps its color too!
ask type of knots they make unit. Single knots not as strong so will shed more. Double knots (bigger hair root ball) stronger but will show with dark hair.
Possible solution for a sturdier unit is mono filament base, but with a lace front for your exposed hairline, such as this model ( which has French lace) but other suppliers have the swiss lace
https://superhairpieces.ca/mens-toupee-m104-7x9-mono-top-with-lace-front-in-stock/

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I have tried different suppliers, both stock and custom and more or less the same situation as yours. You may try knot sealers which are supposed to seal the knot and make them more solid...tried that, and not much of a difference. I switched to synthetic and shedding is less as the fibers are stronger than processed hair. Keeps its color too!
ask type of knots they make unit. Single knots not as strong so will shed more. Double knots (bigger hair root ball) stronger but will show with dark hair.
Possible solution for a sturdier unit is mono filament base, but with a lace front for your exposed hairline, such as this model ( which has French lace) but other suppliers have the swiss lace
https://superhairpieces.ca/mens-toupee-m104-7x9-mono-top-with-lace-front-in-stock/
thanks for your reply AXc123... really appreciate the advise .. its a nightmare ! i would be happy for it a system to last 3-6mths.. and i know there are people getting theirs to last that long , or longer.. i just seem to have a nightmare with my systems. I know swiss lace systems are more fragile, but i honestly believe we should be getting more then 2mths out of a system. I wonder if French lace would be better. im not sure the exposed hairline on a french lace can compare to a swiss which is impreccable.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
French lace more solid than swiss, so sturdier. Not as undetectable as swiss thought, but good.

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
this is what i meant .. on blonde hair the knots are already bleached due to the colour of the hair but on dark systems you need to make sure they are bleached as you can normally see dots on the hair line or crown.. :) i wish ALL systems where bleached all over that would be the best result.. :)

Bleaching knots does result in some damage to the hair at the base, in that it can make the hair shed faster. If you aren't going to part the hair at a given spot, it's healthier for the hair to not be bleached.

Of course, since the hairline is bleached and the most sparse, it's the first point of failure and the piece won't look the same afterwards. Repairing/refurbishing the front is always an option though.

Last edited:

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for your reply AXc123... really appreciate the advise .. its a nightmare ! i would be happy for it a system to last 3-6mths.. and i know there are people getting theirs to last that long , or longer.. i just seem to have a nightmare with my systems. I know swiss lace systems are more fragile, but i honestly believe we should be getting more then 2mths out of a system. I wonder if French lace would be better. im not sure the exposed hairline on a french lace can compare to a swiss which is impreccable.

I always recommend newbies start with French lace. I've done just fine with a french lace front, including physical encounters and whatnot. It's pretty invisible, especially if you style your hair to be "semi-exposed" (not slicked back).

Care needs to be practiced with lace. Be very careful when using combs, that the teeth don't get close to the lace and snag. And when you remove the unit, you don't put too much force on the lace when pulling.

Once you learn how to handle the unit with care, then Swiss is a nice little upgrade. I've been working with Hugo Royer Swiss lace in 30 denier when ventilating and I'm honestly pretty impressed how much force I can use to knot hairs without the lace hole breaking, given the lightness of the material.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wtf!! My salon says that hair systems last 1 to 1.5 years. Are they lying to me?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wtf!! My salon says that hair systems last 1 to 1.5 years. Are they lying to me?

If it's monofilament based, and they add hair, and dye when it starts to fade, potentially. If it's French Lace, and they don't add hair or dye when faded, yes, they are lying to you.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it's monofilament based, and they add hair, and dye when it starts to fade, potentially. If it's French Lace, and they don't add hair or dye when faded, yes, they are lying to you.
I live in India and the patch is priced between 10k to 18k inr ($130 to $230) only. So you can guess.

If India has manufacturing hubs for HS them they might be adding hair.

Notwithstanding,Can it last at least 10 month tho? It's little on high density side.